Hello Mr. Anderson

BigSqwert

Carl Pavano, AJ Burnett, Eric Milton, and Jaret Wright say hi.

They all had good seasons right before they signed their new contracts. Garland is having an awful season right before he would have been a free agent had the Sox not locked him up. Your comparison makes no sense.

Edited by SSH2005

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)
3.00, 3.44/98MPH, $7Mper and 3.28 say hi.

I don't think you understood that one.

I understood it just fine.

My point is there's plenty of pitchers that break the bank because pitching's become such a high commodity, especially of late. Even if the season ended today, Garland could pull in just as much as they did, if not more.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
But thats the point. Garland could very easily been that guy in 07. Kenny has made it VERY clear that he doesnt want to get into bidding wars on the FA market, hence the signings of Garland and Count, and getting Vaz last winter. Williams took the chance on locking up Jon now, and right now he is getting burned.

However, the Garland-Contreras situations are basically identical, and Kenny looks like a genius.

No one is blaiming KW, he did the right thing. The only one being blamed is Jon Garland. I don't really see the conflict here.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)

My point is there's plenty of pitchers that break the bank because pitching's become such a high commodity, especially of late. Even if the season ended today, Garland could pull in just as much as they did, if not more.

If Garland finishes the year with an ERA over 6 he will not make AJ Burnett money, I can gaurantee you that. Milton money on the other hand is very likely, $4, $8.5M, $9M is Eric's contract and it seems about right.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
No one is blaiming KW, he did the right thing. The only one being blamed is Jon Garland. I don't really see the conflict here.

Well, I blame both of them honestly. I mean, I think it was a silly thing for KW to give that much money to a pitcher who was average throughout his career, then had one above average year. On the other hand, Garland is the one pitching, and he has not looked like himself this year. If he wants to prove that he's deserving of that money, he needs to find some confidence. Unfortunetly, I don't see him doing that.

But thats the point. Garland could very easily been that guy in 07. Kenny has made it VERY clear that he doesnt want to get into bidding wars on the FA market, hence the signings of Garland and Count, and getting Vaz last winter. Williams took the chance on locking up Jon now, and right now he is getting burned.

However, the Garland-Contreras situations are basically identical, and Kenny looks like a genius.

I still think we are going to trade Garcia next offseason to free up a spot for McCarthy, probably for pitching prospect(s). Garcia will likely have the better season, he is considered more of a dominating pitcher than Garland, and he will only have one year left under contract. The Sox will use the money freed up by trading Garcia on an extension for Buehrle.

2007 Rotation:

Buehrle

Contreras

Vazquez

McCarthy

Garland

I disagree. Not with a 6.25 ERA.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
He was talking contracts. That has to do with Williams...

He's just saying that if the Sox hadn't signed him he'd be a free agent after this year. That's all I took from that. There's no criticism of management in there.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
I still think we are going to trade Garcia next offseason to free up a spot for McCarthy, probably for pitching prospect(s). Garcia will likely have the better season, he is considered more of a dominating pitcher than Garland, and he will only have one year left under contract. The Sox will use the money freed up by trading Garcia on an extension for Buehrle.

As much as I hate watching Garcia pitch (he always gives me heart attacks), I've grown fond of him. I definitely think he'll have the better year this year, and will have more value on the market, but I think that the Sox are more likely to hold onto him and deal Garland to a team desperate for pitching, which there are plenty of.

As much as I hate watching Garcia pitch (he always gives me heart attacks), I've grown fond of him. I definitely think he'll have the better year this year, and will have more value on the market, but I think that the Sox are more likely to hold onto him and deal Garland to a team desperate for pitching, which there are plenty of.

Trust me, I'd rather have Garcia than Garland as well but the Sox will be better off selling high. Garcia will have the better season but he will only have one year left until free agency. Couple that with his declining fastball and he makes the most sense to trade. Trading Garland after an awful season wouldn't make much sense.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
Well since you got the reaction you wanted Felix and everyone's basically in agreeance, you can go back to Crash crashing and send your sig to KW.

Huh? I'm not allowed to have a sig that critical of Garland?

QUOTE(Felix @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)

Even if Garland has a s*** year he'll still have much more trade value than Garcia. Garland is younger, less injury concernes and has better natural stuff. Garcia seriously seems to be the odd man out after this year, atleast as of right now.

QUOTE(Felix @ May 28, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)

Put feelers out on both of them...see what bids they draw. Take the one that is the best deal considering all things, including the performance of both pitchers for the remainder of this year.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
Trust me, I'd rather have Garcia than Garland as well but the Sox will be better off selling high. Garcia will have the better season but he will only have one year left until free agency. Couple that with his declining fastball and he makes the most sense to trade. Trading Garland after an awful season wouldn't make much sense.

I do agree with that, and I definitely see where you are coming from. I just think that the Sox will go with the pitcher that will give them the best chance to win (which I think is Garcia, even if he loses some MPH on his fastball) since they are trying to compete for the World Series again.

I do agree with that, and I definitely see where you are coming from. I just think that the Sox will go with the pitcher that will give them the best chance to win (which I think is Garcia, even if he loses some MPH on his fastball) since they are trying to compete for the World Series again.

The Sox will stick with the guy who's locked up the longest. Guaranteed.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
I'm afraid I don't see what you're talking about, and I just scrolled back like 40 posts.

I think he's just pointing out that SSH2005 is Jabroni and Jabroni is the one that made the Dye sig last year. But I could be wrong.