Hello Mr. Anderson

BigSqwert

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
But where is the quote about Uribe?

I'm scared that he's just gonna keep putting him out there because he was a light hitting SS. Uribe has likely cost us at least 2 games in the last week.

I have a feeling Alex gets the start tomorrow.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, Brian's on base is .276 as Kalapse so kindly pointed out. If Brian can just raise that 30 points by the end of the year (which means hit freaking .205 or .210 and continue his current walk pace) he will have an on base right in the same low .300's range that Crede, Uribe, and Everett had last year. And Uribe and Crede has 16 and 22 HR's respectively, a home run range BA can get to if he hits .210 or so with that .305 or so OBP and gets his share of at bats.

Let me also point out that I'm not a Bill James fanatic here, but Anderson's OBP is probably his most important offensive stat right now since everytime he gets on base, it means we roll over to the top of the order. Plus, we have plenty of other guys to bat in runs this year anyways.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
Let me also point out that I'm not a Bill James fanatic here, but Anderson's OBP is probably his most important offensive stat right now since everytime he gets on base, it means we roll over to the top of the order. Plus, we have plenty of other guys to bat in runs this year anyways.

It's almost like how after last year, the fact that Scott has 15 RBI right now is a miracle of some sort.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
His defense looks about on par with last year to me too.

I wouldn't say that. Watching the games, I've never seen Uribe throw a DP ball away twice, yet alone in the same week. He has made routine errors yes, but he hasn't been this bad since he's been here. I remember last season when he had a stretch of not making an error in consecutive games (not too sure though, so I could be wrong.)

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Well, this could all just be a kick in the ass to BA, but who knows.

BA and Uribe need to shape the f*** up (literally for Uribe, chubby bastard).

He needs a kick in the ass alright. If it takes a trip to AAA then Im all for it. One way or another his slump has to end.

Let me also point out that I'm not a Bill James fanatic here, but Anderson's OBP is probably his most important offensive stat right now since everytime he gets on base, it means we roll over to the top of the order.

Almost everyone with half a brain--not just James--now realizes that OBP is way more important than AVG. Furthermore, OPS is way, way better than AVG. BA projects for at leastn an average OPS for a CF.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
I wouldn't say that. Watching the games, I've never seen Uribe throw a DP ball away twice, yet alone in the same week. He has made routine errors yes, but he hasn't been this bad since he's been here. I remember last season when he had a stretch of not making an error in consecutive games (not too sure though, so I could be wrong.)

I think this is another big difference between BA and Uribe. When BA sucks at the plate, he leaves it at the plate as opposed to bringing it out onto the field with him and start sucking defensively. Where as Uribe strikes out a few times on high fastballs or sliders low and away then goes out and throws away a double play ball or two.

Anyone think it might be a good idea mixing up the batting order to try to switch things up a bit? Maybe bat AJ 9th since he's not hitting for power and he could provide a bit of protection to BA and Uribe? Just a thought.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
Almost everyone with half a brain--not just James--now realizes that OBP is way more important than AVG. Furthermore, OPS is way, way better than AVG. BA projects for at leastn an average OPS for a CF.

Yeah, OPS is the biggest stat you want to look at, although I disagree on OBP being way more important than average in all cases. For instance right now, when Crede hits 7th ahead of BA and Uribe with the way they are going, I want him to do all he can to bat in the guys on base if they are there, since a Crede walk leads to 2 guys hitting below the Mendoza line. But I guess I just made my point for you since that's an exception to the rule, with the rule being OBP >>>> average in terms of importance.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
Hey! I'm a loving person, maybe I should show you just how loving I can be you ungrateful bastard!

Your listening to too much Rancid. It does f*** up the mind in personality. :) Instead of wanting to slit someone's throat all the time, curse up a storm, and start arguing for know apparent reason, just relax, take a chill pill, and be "one step closer" to being loveable. :D

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
I think this is another big difference between BA and Uribe. When BA sucks at the plate, he leaves it at the plate as opposed to bringing it out onto the field with him and start sucking defensively. Where as Uribe strikes out a few times on high fastballs or sliders low and away then goes out and throws away a double play ball or two.

Excellent point.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
Anyone think it might be a good idea mixing up the batting order to try to switch things up a bit? Maybe bat AJ 9th since he's not hitting for power and he could provide a bit of protection to BA and Uribe? Just a thought.

I like the idea of mixing up the order, but hitting A.J. 9th is silly. He's hitting freaking .345, you'd want him further up in the order if possible if anything. A.J. is also only behind the big 3 on OBP on the team among regulars, so you want him hitting ANYWHERE BUT 9th.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)

I personally love OPS+ and ERA+ atleast with these two stats you can accurately compare players because the 2 stats use lgERA and such when calculating the stats meaning you're using the league averages in an individual stat which is just all too sexy. Plus you get that magical number of 100 which just makes my legs tremble.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 28, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)

That would be like starting the game with Jenks and Cotts and closing the game with Buehrle. Not very smart.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)
That would be like starting the game with Jenks and Cotts and closing the game with Buehrle. Not very smart.

I was just thinking of the Sox of the late 80s and early 90s when they would have a .300 hitter at the bottom of the order to be a 2nd lead-off hitter.