Have the Sox just gotten fat and lazy?

brijames

This team has lost the edge it had last season. They don't have that fire or chip on their shoulder that they played with last year. I guess thats what happens when you finally win the whole thing. This team is not talented enough to just show up and win. They have to do all the little things, the hustle plays, like they did all last season. I can accept losing when the team at least competes. It's time for somebody on this team to stand up and let it be known this isn't acceptable.

I will not be at all shocked if the Tigers come in this week and sweep. They are a hungry ballclub, much like the 2005 Sox. They will make this series out to be a very big deal. The White Sox better get their collective heads out of their behinds and do the same.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(brijames @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
This team has lost the edge it had last season. They don't have that fire or chip on their shoulder that they played with last year. I guess thats what happens when you finally win the whole thing. This team is not talented enough to just show up and win. They have to do all the little things, the hustle plays, like they did all last season. I can accept losing when the team at least competes. It's time for somebody on this team to stand up and let it be known this isn't acceptable.

I will not be at all shocked if the Tigers come in this week and sweep. They are a hungry ballclub, much like the 2005 Sox. They will make this series out to be a very big deal. The White Sox better get their collective heads out of their behinds and do the same.

:headshake

Well, Ozzie had the Sunday lineup in full force today...What do you expect?

I'm actually impressed that we were able to score 2 runs.

Basically, Ozzie put MB in a position where he had to pitch a perfect game to win...And the Rangers can swing the bats a bit, in case you hadn't noticed.

Edited by ThinWhiteDuque

QUOTE(brijames @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)

My thoughts exactly. This team doesn't have the fire in their eyes like last years team. Your statement is right, that's what happens when your the defending World Champions. I don't like the thoughts of the Tigers coming into town, they are a hungry team.

not going to win a lot of games when the bottom half of your order is 1-8.

why cant AJ and Pods play against lefties? I coulod see the rest every once in awhile but everytime a lefty throws against us????

We lost this game in a lot of ways. A lot of ways. Buehrle made a lot of good pitches that were turned into doubles that missed people's gloves by 6 inches. We had another bunch of mental mistakes, Anderson missing the cutoff man, Dye getting caught in a rundown, etc. We had terrible approaches at the plate. In the 6th and 7th innings combined we saw 13 pitches, and it seemed like everyone tried to pull the ball, and everyone was grounding out to the right side. Ozuna missed some annoying fly balls in left. Crede and Uribe couldn't keep balls on the infield. Blah blah blah.

Fat and lazy sounds like a good way to describe the way we're playing right now.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
Jim Thome would not have made Pablo catch those balls, or kept those doubles on the infield, etc.

But they sure as hell would have scored more than 2 runs. Even if he didn't get a hit. His prescence alone brings up the confidence of the entire lineup. I firmly belive that.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
I blame the lack of Thome

I'm starting to wonder if it is partly Thome's fault, even indirectly for a few reasons. First, it meant the loss of Rowand who was pretty fiery, in addition to being a centerfielder who could hit and play defense properly. Second, while our offense has certainly stepped up a notch as a result, I wonder if this hasn't affected the mindset of the team. Like others have said, we're not the hungry, scrappy team we were last year and it seems like we're willing to make some mistakes in the field and pitching because the team seems to think they can score the runs to make it up.

Who's the leader on this team? I know Paulie is the captain but he's pretty quiet. Maybe they need a players-only meeting? Something needs to be done to shake these guys up.

LOL - Check out gameday for the Cubs. The guy pitching for the Cubs (Marmol) has the biggest picture ever. Maybe it's just a bug on my laptop?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
I'm starting to wonder if it is partly Thome's fault, even indirectly for a few reasons. First, it meant the loss of Rowand who was pretty fiery, in addition to being a centerfielder who could hit and play defense properly. Second, while our offense has certainly stepped up a notch as a result, I wonder if this hasn't affected the mindset of the team. Like others have said, we're not the hungry, scrappy team we were last year and it seems like we're willing to make some mistakes in the field and pitching because the team seems to think they can score the runs to make it up.

I'm calling the vatican to have Rowand nominated for sainthood. Why not? He's taken on epic proportions on this board.

This team is simply playing poor baseball right now. Period. We saw them do the same thing last year at various times and they're doing it again right now. Grab an airsickness bag and hang on. Maybe they'll turn it around; maybe they won't. But it won't be for lack of effort, heart, leadership, or the presence of Aaron f***ing Rowand.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
I'm calling the vatican to have Rowand nominated for sainthood. Why not? He's taken on epic proportions on this board.

This team is simply playing poor baseball right now. Period. We saw them do the same thing last year at various times and they're doing it again right now. Grab an airsickness bag and hang on. Maybe they'll turn it around; maybe they won't. But it won't be for lack of effort, heart, leadership, or the presence of Aaron f***ing Rowand.

I agree. If Rowand makes such a difference between winning and losing, how come the Phillies aren't running away with their division? The reason the Sox are struggling is because their pitching has been horrible.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)

The reason we are sucking is not because of Aaron f***ing Rowand.

Its because our starting pitching has sucked over the last couple of weeks. Its because our relief pitching has been worse if that is possible. And its because our hitters fall in love with the long ball after an 11 run effort and they have horrible swings with men in RISP For the next week.

If our pitching is a shell of what it was last year, we escape this week with at least a few wins.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
We've been outplayed by teams with better overall hitting than the White Sox. Our best asset is our starting pitching, and if they keep underachieving, we're not going to the postseason.

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! It all boils down to all of our starters had aveage to above average years. Nobody was bad. This year ( so far) They arewn't pitchingas well. Baseball is all about pitching especially this team and right we aren't pitching very well.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
I simply love how Hawk said today that the chemistry with this year's team isn't there. If I recally correctly, on our last homestand, he told Sox fans that this was the best and most exciting team we've ever had.

Hawk hasn't said anything significant in 10 years. He's as garbage as the team's playing.

times like this the Sox REALLY miss Rowand, the guy was a clubhouse morale machine. Having Thome is awesome, but giving up Rowand meant a lot to CF defense, base speed, a near 300 avg, and a huge intangilble of keeping guys loose and simultaneously fired up. Watching him go this winter broke my heart after what he meant to them last year. Anyone see his diving cath webgem last night, or the collision at the wall that put him on the 15day DL a couple weeks back, that kind of thing just fires people up and I wish he was on our bench right now. Maybe we can give Philly Garland and Anderson in a trade :D

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
times like this the Sox REALLY miss Rowand, the guy was a clubhouse morale machine. Having Thome is awesome, but giving up Rowand meant a lot to CF defense, base speed, a near 300 avg, and a huge intangilble of keeping guys loose and simultaneously fired up. Watching him go this winter broke my heart after what he meant to them last year. Anyone see his diving cath webgem last night, or the collision at the wall that put him on the 15day DL a couple weeks back, that kind of thing just fires people up and I wish he was on our bench right now. Maybe we can give Philly Garland and Anderson in a trade :D

:headshake

How many times are we going to see this exact same post on this board? Can we throw Aarow into the starting pitching rotation? How about the bullpen? No? End.of.story