Anyone ever meet a "famous" musician before?

Hangar18

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
I've in fact played with a few (jazz and classical, that is). But they are names that are probably only famous to those who follow jazz or classical music.

Really? Whom? If you say someone like Chris Botti, thats pretty cool

I told the band Fuel that I had to do laundry when they invited me to see their show. The second time I met them, I stole their pop tarts. (but seriously, I'm sure they hardly noticed that the Spice Girls had left *rimshot*!)

I met Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam. G Love of G Love and Special Sauce. Stabbing Westward, and a few other bands too. I think I got a prank phone call from Travis of Blink 182 when I was doing top 40 radio as well.

My favorite celebrity encounters are not with musicians. I got into an argument with Andy Rooney from 60 minutes and Ted Koppel once told me that he was eating a cheeseburger.

I've met a few well-known musicians in my day, mostly from the jazz and latin varieties. The biggest in my opinion was probably the lovely Diane Schuur, whose concert I helped organize back in the mid 1990's. The most recent was last year, when I made the acquaintance of Obie Bermudez, a fairly well-known latin pop singer; one of my best friends plays in his backup band.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Really? Whom? If you say someone like Chris Botti, thats pretty cool

Oh jeez, it was a long while ago. But some jazz folks I have played with that come to mind...

Clark Terry

Louie Bellson

Maynard Fergueson

Ryan Kisor

Duffy Jackson

Matt Harris

Gary Novak

The rhythm section of the Artie Shaw Orchestra

same with Count Basie Band

Others I have met or spoken with:

Bob Mintzer

Lester Bowie

I also have a bunch of friends in the "industry" who still play, who you may know (but likely not). But I'd rather not name the friends here.

I've also played with some known classical guys, like Dale Clevenger, Charlie Vernon, and a few others.

Depends on your idea of "famous".

Stiv Bators (read my recent blog entry at my site right now for this whole story...it's a long read.

Brian Baker numerous times

Pat Dubar

Wattie (he told me to "f*** off", which was special)

Carcass

Axl Rose

In one night I hung out with The Dogs D'Amour and all of Mother Love Bone

There are many others that I am forgetting now. I am also in touch with a ton of musicians now days for certain projects and things I am working on. Those listed are just the ones from "before the internet", when meeting these people was a little tougher.

I've "met" - in a passing, can I have your autograph?, fanboy sense of the word:

Ian Anderson, Martin Barre, and Doane Perry of Jethro Tull

Andy Partridge, Colin Moulding, and Dave Gregory of xtc

Dweezil Zappa and FZ bassist Scott Thunes

Adrian Belew and the other members of the raisins/Psychodots/Raisins

Jazz drummer Billy Cobham

I have the autographs from each of those encounters

The hilight of my fanboy life was meeting Stevie Ray Vaughan after a Foellinger (sp?) concert in 1987, and getting him to sign my Telecatser.

I've also been in the wrong place at the wrong time and partied to excess with the percussionist from Art of Noise and the bassist for Flock of Seagulls, but I wouldn't have known them if they bit me on the ankle.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Depends on your idea of "famous".

Stiv Bators (read my recent blog entry at my site right now for this whole story...it's a long read.

Brian Baker numerous times

Pat Dubar

Wattie (he told me to "f*** off", which was special)

Carcass

Axl Rose

In one night I hung out with The Dogs D'Amour and all of Mother Love Bone

There are many others that I am forgetting now. I am also in touch with a ton of musicians now days for certain projects and things I am working on. Those listed are just the ones from "before the internet", when meeting these people was a little tougher.

Kid are you the one that works in PR?

We had a thread like this over the winter didn't we? Can we get the search fixed...??? :pray

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
Kid are you the one that works in PR?

We had a thread like this over the winter didn't we? Can we get the search fixed...??? :pray

I don't even think Kid has BEEN to Puerto Rico....

:D

But I know for a fact that he doesn't work in public relations, either.

However, he IS a Noted Glam Scholar (all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed) and has about a billion cool stories to tell.

He's gonna make a HELLUVA grampa someday.

"Grampa, who's Stiv Bators???"

:lol:

grew up with Jimmy Chamberlin, drummer for Smashing Pumpkins. Does that count? Also shook paul mccartney's hand when he was outside of a recording studio near work.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
I got you beat... and not in green.

Michael Jackson. ;)

Details?

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
I've never met anyone personally but I know a few people that went to school with the members of Cheap Trick.

Those guys all went to the same school also didnt they? Wasnt the biggest CT fan, but they grew on me as the years went by. I do admire the fact that they stayed together and their friendship kept them together as long as it did. Lot to be said about friendship

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
grew up with Jimmy Chamberlin, drummer for Smashing Pumpkins. Does that count? Also shook paul mccartney's hand when he was outside of a recording studio near work.

Details?

Paul McCartney? thats pretty cool, id love to meet him. I think ive got you topped, met, chatted with, shook hands with, and got an autograph from the master himself, JIMMY PAGE. I still cant believe I got to chat with him ........

While at SIU in the late 80's and early 90's i got to meet a few 'famous' musicians. The coolest one( in my mind) was Tom Petty. He was setting up for his show and i saw him just walking around strumming his guitar watching his raod crew. Talked to him for about 30 minutes. Though he didn't take the hint i dropped about having no tickets for the show.

also at SIU, he isn't a muscian but he was in concert....i was walking through the woods with my head down not watching where i was going when i ran into a HUGE guy who knocked me on my ass. i got up ant saw it was 3 HUGE guys and when i muttered an apology , Eddie Murphy poked his head out of the crowd and said "It's cool...you all right?" I got an autograph...it was cool.