Tiger Watch - Official Thread

hi8is

QUOTE(Bonderman38 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
The Tigers don't go .500 against CHicago, IMO. I think they end up going like 7-12 or something.

I think he meant the rest of the way. If the Tigs can go at least 7-6 or 6-7 against the Sox the rest of the way and prevent the Sox from picking up games against them in head to head competition, I think they can hold on to the division lead with the White Sox starting pitching.

Edited by Wolverine31

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
The only question now is how they're going to be able to handle adversity when some really hits. The Sox did a dynamite job of it last year, and pulled out of it before it was too late. The Tigers aren't going to win 115 this year, their pitching isn't going to be the best in recorded history, so some things are going to go wrong at some point.

AMEN

Looks like they're off to a great start in the second half, just like the sox did when they had a 15 game lead in July.

Does anyone seriously believe that the tables can't be turned in this division if the Tigers hit a rough patch for 10 games while the Sox are on a roll for 10 games?

So they're beating a AAA team at home while the Sox are losing to the yankees in the bronx. I'd be more concerned if they were gaining ground playing the yankees while we were playing the KC farm club.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
If we are able to go .500 against Chicago the rest of the year I'm sure we'd be happy.

really? Come on, seriously, you won't be happy unless you lay some wood to the Sox. It's okay...let it out. We can help.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
So they're beating a AAA team at home

Trust me, they weren't playing like a AAA club lately. They never go away it seems in the game (well for the exception of today's game). We should of lost 2 of these 3 games in this series - but their errors costed them big time, and so did a run scoring balk. We were really lucky.

Edited by hawkitis

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
we're deadmeat at this point. Good luck in the playoffs, guys.

You can't honestly be serious.

It's July f***ing 16th, and the Sox are (*gasp*) 4.5 games back in the division, and are leading the Wild Card by, what, 4 games? There's about 70 games left to be played, and like 13 against Detroit.

The race isn't over by a longshot.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:18 AM)
You can't honestly be serious.

It's July f***ing 16th, and the Sox are (*gasp*) 4.5 games back in the division, and are leading the Wild Card by, what, 4 games? There's about 70 games left to be played, and like 13 against Detroit.

The race isn't over by a longshot.

You're right in that the Tigers don't possess an insurmountable lead, but with the way the Sox have pitched all year, I can understand not having confidence the Sox will win the division.

I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

Edited by shoota

really? Come on, seriously, you won't be happy unless you lay some wood to the Sox. It's okay...let it out. We can help.

Do we WANT to play better than .500 vs the Sox? Sure. Would we be excited about it? Absolutely. The point is that if we play .500 vs you guys the rest of the way, we're going to take the division.....

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:47 AM)
The point is that if we play .500 vs you guys the rest of the way, we're going to take the division.....

I love your confidence in the tigers and I am being very sincere when I say that. I would be saying the exact same thing in your place. I'm glad you guys post around here. I think it's ridiculous that ESPN and others rank the Sox as the best team in baseball. The tigers are the best team in baseball. Period. Right now, that is. No doubt about it. And if their pitching continues then I will be proven wrong in a big way. I just don't think it will hold up. And no amount of Leyland pep talks or calls for "Nine Innings!" is gonna make a bit of difference come September and they begin to feel the real strains of a pennant chase. Outside of Pudge, who's been in that situation? Mags? I've watched him fold like a tent in pressure.

Here's to a fun second half :cheers

I love your confidence in the tigers and I am being very sincere when I say that. I would be saying the exact same thing in your place. I'm glad you guys post around here. I think it's ridiculous that ESPN and others rank the Sox as the best team in baseball. The tigers are the best team in baseball. Period. Right now, that is. No doubt about it. And if their pitching continues then I will be proven wrong in a big way. I just don't think it will hold up. And no amount of Leyland pep talks or calls for "Nine Innings!" is gonna make a bit of difference come September and they begin to feel the real strains of a pennant chase. Outside of Pudge, who's been in that situation? Mags? I've watched him fold like a tent in pressure.

Here's to a fun second half :cheers

I agree, it's going to be a blast over the next few months......

I don't know if our pitching will be able to keep up its pace of the first half.......realize that one of our starters, Maroth, was having a great start to the season....top 5 in ERA before he had surgery...he's ahead of schedule for an August return.....when he gets back, we can throw out a 6-man rotation that will give our guys a break....not to mention a guy named Sanchez in AAA who started the Future's game, pitched 1 inning and struck out 2......most pundents say this guy is major league ready right now.....he can come in a spot start our young guys like Verlander.....

I know I'm not telling you anything, but I'd be pretty concerned if I was a White Sox fan right now with your starting pitching.....continuing as I type this with Garcia getting hit in the first.......you've had some very dramatic wins with your big bats coming through with huge innings and big run production.....if those big guns ever cool off, you might be in a bit of trouble, not only with trying to win the division, but even fending off the Yanks or BoSox for the WC........

I

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
7-1 Royals, top 6. Looks like KC might actually beat the Tigers in a game. If the Royals lose this one they are an officially official minor league team.

9-6 Royals win. MacDougal comes in and gets the save. The Royals tried hard to lose it, but just couldn't pull it out.

Well, you knew it was going to happen sometime, especially with this lineup.

Even the regular players were sloppy today comitting 3 errors (well 2, one that was ruled a throwing error was actually obvious runners interference as the base runner deflected it with his hand to break up a double play)

Obviously a much bigger series coming up next.

Well Tigers fans and Writers here in Michigan have officially gotten used to winning. Jim Leyland is getting criticized for sitting Maggs, Pudge and Guillen yesterday.

Granted the Tigers lost and lost the chance to go up 5.5 games before this HUGE series, but come on. I still think it was a smart move.

You've got three important pieces of your team who aren't young pups anymore and the Tigers need them for the long haul not a game against the damn Royals.

It was hotter than hell in Detroit (most of the country actually) yesterday.

And its good to get other guys into the lineup to gain experience.

I was just wondering what all the Sox fans think of this.

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
No I meant they lost the game and lost the chance to go up 5.5 games. Sorry bad grammar.

My question was not in response to anything :bang .

I was just randomly wondering when the last time was that the Tigers had lost two straight?

How about a series loss?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
My question was not in response to anything :bang .

I was just randomly wondering when the last time was that the Tigers had lost two straight?

How about a series loss?

July 3-4 Vs OAK.

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
I know I'm not telling you anything, but I'd be pretty concerned if I was a White Sox fan right now with your starting pitching...

With the second best record in baseball, it's hard to get concerned. Some of you guys seem to think the season ends in July. There's nearly half a season left to play. That's a lot of games.

With the second best record in baseball, it's hard to get concerned. Some of you guys seem to think the season ends in July. There's nearly half a season left to play. That's a lot of games.

I'm pretty sure I know when the season ends....that still doesn't answer the question about your starting pitching......are you or are you not happy with your starting pitching? Do you think they can turn it around and be as good as they were last year, or do you need to trade for a starter to end the year....

Edited by ViperPilot

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
I'm pretty sure I know when the season ends....that still doesn't answer the question about your starting pitching......are you or are you not happy with your starting pitching? Do you think they can turn it around and be as good as they were last year, or do you need to trade for a starter to end the year....

We are clearly not happy with our starters. At this point, they'd need to get on the mother of all rolls to get their numbers back down where they were last year. I'd be happy if they turned it around and made this a non-terrible season for most of them. But it really looks like we need to do some dealing and get McCarthy into the rotation.