All star uniforms

southsider2k5

New York Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi is the latest player to question Major League Baseball's decision to make All-Stars wear specially designed league uniforms in the game July 15 at U.S. Cellular Field.

The longtime tradition of players wearing their own teams' uniforms at the All-Star Game apparently is over now that teams are playing for home-field advantage in the World Series.

"I think it's stupid," Giambi said before Sunday's game at Wrigley Field. "It's another stupid idea they've got going on. The whole exciting part that the fans have is to see every player in their own uniform. I mean, we're not a softball team, so I don't think we should all be dressed in the same uniform. That's the fun part of it, going there and everybody wearing their different uniforms."

Giambi said he hopes MLB changes its mind, but that isn't likely because it is trying to market the uniforms. Players have worn American and National League uniforms during batting practice and in the home-run derby, which is no problem for Giambi.

"That's fine, but on game day?" he said. "The biggest thing is wearing your uniform out there. That's what it's all about."

New York Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi is the latest player to question Major League Baseball's decision to make All-Stars wear specially designed league uniforms in the game July 15 at U.S. Cellular Field.

The longtime tradition of players wearing their own teams' uniforms at the All-Star Game apparently is over now that teams are playing for home-field advantage in the World Series.

"I think it's stupid," Giambi said before Sunday's game at Wrigley Field. "It's another stupid idea they've got going on. The whole exciting part that the fans have is to see every player in their own uniform. I mean, we're not a softball team, so I don't think we should all be dressed in the same uniform. That's the fun part of it, going there and everybody wearing their different uniforms."

Giambi said he hopes MLB changes its mind, but that isn't likely because it is trying to market the uniforms. Players have worn American and National League uniforms during batting practice and in the home-run derby, which is no problem for Giambi.

"That's fine, but on game day?" he said. "The biggest thing is wearing your uniform out there. That's what it's all about."

That's ridiculous. Another revenue-generating ploy.

I hate the idea too.  You are there representing your team.  If they are going to do away with the team uni's then they should quit having a rep from every team.

Agree. Also, again from a marketing standpoint, there are many casual fans that tune in to watch the game that don't know who plays for what team. By having these uniforms, it would make the game that much more difficult to sell to those non-fans that may tune into the game, since that fan may not know who that player he saw in the AS game plays for.

Team uniforms is an extremely stupid idea for exactly the reasons pointed out here. It's nice for the casual fan to know at a glance where the players are from. And it flies in the face of the notion of hometown pride and having YOUR GUYS representing for the whole country to see. Stupid.

How many times did you ever watch a MLB All-Star Game with the real thought in mind of cheering for the AL or NL? I always watched more to see the players on the Sox, who had been picked. The fun for me was to see a Sox player appear in his team uniform. Bud Selig has some strange ideas and very few of them seem rationale. Look how long it has taken them to find a new home for the Expos. The idea of home field advantage in the WS going to the winner of the all star game doesn't appeal to me either. I think that MLB and Selig are messing too much with the rich tradition of baseball and it's to the detriment of the game. The bottom line for these people is simply to make a buck and fans and tradition be damned.

It doesn't seem like an idea that is too terribly bad. People have made worse choices for uniforms(Indians red-on-red anyone?).

And why is Giambi making a big deal of it anyways? He shouldn't be going with the numbers he has....what's he hitting, like .240 12 30? That's s***ty. If he were on the DRays, he wouldn't even be considered an all-star. And people wonder why the common fan hates the f***ing Yankees.

If making the players wear one uniform for the game is such a big deal, Giambi should take a seat and should not play.

Well, it sounds like the idea is universally hated, with good reason. For years I've felt that the NHL, NBA, and NFL all-star games were lacking because the players weren't wearing their teams' uniforms. Now the MLB takes one of the greatest things about their all-star game away and replaces it with what helps ruin other sports' games. Terrible decision.

Well, it sounds like the idea is universally hated, with good reason. For years I've felt that the NHL, NBA, and NFL all-star games were lacking because the players weren't wearing their teams' uniforms. Now the MLB takes one of the greatest things about their all-star game away and replaces it with what helps ruin other sports' games. Terrible decision.

Well if you have the NBA, NHL, and NFL wear uniforms, no problem there. In fact, if you have them each wear their own teams' uniforms, you'd create some problems. As a hockey player, nothing is harder than attempting to discern which of the 30 different jerseys you see are on your team. Even if the colors of the jerseys are different, you sometimes don't even get to see the player's jersey to determine if he's on your team. Half the time I make a pass, I take a quick glance up the ice and rifle the puck to someone wearing the same colored socks or pants, even. In quick-decision sports like those, you can't have so many damn colors flying around the place. Hell, they wear their own uniforms in the skills competition, which has much more star-appeal than the gameitself, something that MLB doesn't have ('cept for the home run derby, for which they have specialized uniforms anyway)

For baseball, however, it's a much more orderly sport. A pitcher doesn't look at the batter and get confused what team he's on. An outfielder doesn't accidentally throw the ball to the runner rather than to the cutoff man. A catcher doesn't throw the ball at a base-stealer mistaking him for a fielder. In a sport as easy-going and orderly as baseball, individual teams' uniforms work out quite well, and, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Where can I buy one?

Just kidding. What a stupid idea. The screw up the game last year by mistake. Last year was a slow steady series for dumb decisions. Now, in one year, they activly commit a few errors. Amazing.

Don't forget to vote for every NL stiff. We want that home field advantage.

haha You know, if that concern has been raised, I haven't heard it. Has anyone voiced concern that AL fans would vote the last guy on the NL ballot into the game? It would be kind of funny to see Eric Young walk up to the plate in the All-Star game.

it's only home field advantage for the WS, that's all...no big deal, right?

Doesn't mean much. It's important, but not vital.

The fact that MLB felt the need to add that "perk" to the game proves that the "most exciting all-star game in sports" has been reduced to basically a meaningless exhibition.

How many times did you ever watch a MLB All-Star Game with the real thought in mind of cheering for the AL or NL? I always watched more to see the players on the Sox, who had been picked. The fun for me was to see a Sox player appear in his team uniform. Bud Selig has some strange ideas and very few of them seem rationale. Look how long it has taken them to find a new home for the Expos. The idea of home field advantage in the WS going to the winner of the all star game doesn't appeal to me either. I think that MLB and Selig are messing too much with the rich tradition of baseball and it's to the detriment of the game. The bottom line for these people is simply to make a buck and fans and tradition be damned.

I can honestly say I've rooted for the AL All-Star to win every game for about 40 years or so.

The fact that MLB felt the need to add that "perk" to the game proves that the "most exciting all-star game in sports" has been reduced to basically a meaningless exhibition.

Well, I think it pretty much is a meaningless exhibition. I think that it was stupid that MLB would go and use an exhibition game as a way to establish home field advantage.

You are basing wether or not you get home field off of the play of guys who are not even on your team

This uniform thing is stupid as well. They should wear their own damn jerseys.

I usually like to see the AL win, and I like to see Sox players do well...this is the only reason I watch.

Other than that, the game is meaningless, IMHO.

THe game itself is, or should be, meaningless. It's a spectacle for the fans, a reward for the guys having good years and a showcase for baseball. This HF advantage for the winner is crap. The uniform thing sucks too. But baseball looks to rake in the almighty dollar again. I hope they don't sell the first uniform from this game.