Verducci's All-Star Picks

The Human Borch

Verducci's Picks

I just don't understand a few of his picks, for example, I know Glaus has provided power numbers but his .245 average and .952 fielding percentage don't impress me. .952 isnt bad, but Crede has a .967 percentage with exceptional range. On top of that, Crede's average is about 60 points higher than Glaus's. The other that perplexed me was the pick of Giambi at first. Konerko has had an absolutely stellar season and is definately deserving of the nod at first. Also, Thome, Morneau and Hafner both have equal/superior numbers to Giambi's. By the way, please don't interperate this as whining about the media, I just believe that these picks were pretty off-base.

Edited by The Human Borch

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giambi really doesn't make any sense. His OBP numbers are better and he has more homers, but that's about it He just must have known that New York fans would freak out if they didn't have any starters. It's also obvious that he didn't count DH's at all, since there are at least 3 of them that are crushing him statistically.

C: Maurer

1B: Hafner

2B: Lopez

3B: Glaus

SS: Tejada

OF: Wells

OF: Dye

OF: Rios

In other words I pretty much agree with him.

The problem is all the Red Sox and Yankees stiffs getting voted in will limit how many deserving players (you know, guys on the Tigers and Whitesox, aka the two best teams in the AL) get in.

Crede and Glaus are pretty damn close

Joe:

AVG .307 | HR 14 | RBI 54 | OBP .341 | SLG .531

Troy:

AVG .245 | HR 21 | RBI 53 | OBP .348 | SLG .535

Even with all those extra homers for Troy, Joe has 1 more RBI, is right there in SLG, and

has a way better average. Factor in Joe's D > Troy's, you could easily say Joe deserves it.

Edited by pcullotta

I chose Glaus just because he represents more to his team, in my opinion. That team was desperate for right-handed thunder (although Rios and Wells both are above expectations). Whereas Crede plays on a deeper and better team. Both are having good years, Glaus has more pedigree, and I went with Glaus. 3rd is pretty deep with A-Rod, Crede, Glaus, Blalock, Chavez (slipping lately) all bunched up

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
I chose Glaus just because he represents more to his team, in my opinion. That team was desperate for right-handed thunder (although Rios and Wells both are above expectations). Whereas Crede plays on a deeper and better team. Both are having good years, Glaus has more pedigree, and I went with Glaus. 3rd is pretty deep with A-Rod, Crede, Glaus, Blalock, Chavez (slipping lately) all bunched up

Mike Lowell as well.

C-Mauer, cant see much argument here

1B-Hafner, the kid's got some nasty dropjaw. Giambi, Thome, and Mr. clutch Ortiz close.

2B-Lopez, close with him and Cano and Iguchi. 53 RBIs for Lopez puts him over the top

SS-Jeter, having a great season he is really the only choice

3B-A-Rod, not an ARod like first half but lead all 3B in OPS coming into Tuesday's games. Crede and Glaus just as deserving.

OF-Wells, I don't see how one can argue with this guy being an AS this year.

OF-Dye, gotta slurp the hometown guy, clutch hitting OPS over 1.000

OF-Ichiro, Defensively, on the bases, with the stick, what an amazing player, hitting .360. Manny is a close 4th

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
I don't see how Jeter is the definative choice over Tejada. Defense is a wash at best, Tejada has the power numbers and Jeter has the average/runs/SB.

Also, you're wrong, Glaus has a higher OPS than A-Rod.

First of all, like I said coming into Tuesday's game A-Rod had the highest OPS among 3Bs in the AL. He was one thousandth of a point ahead of Glaus. I was not wrong. A-Rod was 0-4 today and Glaus was 1-4 so I guess they could have flip flopped but I did not have the up to the second numbers.

2nd of all I don't see how more HRs can put Tejada ahead of Jeter when Jeter is hitting like 20 points higher and have an OBP that is 60 points higher and a higher OPS. He has had a great season stealing bases 15/17 and is the leader of one of the better teams in the AL. I guess statistically one could argue he is only marginally better than Tejada, but I think it would be very difficult for one to say he has been better than Jeter.

I also disagree with defense being a wash, Jeter is more reliable on the routine plays and just as spectacular on the tough ones. Tejada deserves to be an all-star, he deserves to be Jeter's backup.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
It should be:

C: Joe Mauer (MIN)

1B: Travis Hafner (CLE)

2B: Tadahito Iguchi (CHW)

SS: Miguel Tejada (BAL)

3B: Troy Glaus (TOR)

OF: Manny Ramirez (BOS)

OF: Vernon Wells (TOR)

OF: Jermaine Dye (CHW)

Didn't you originally argue against glaus when I brought him up before? :unsure: :P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
It should be:

C: Joe Mauer (MIN)

1B: Travis Hafner (CLE)

2B: Tadahito Iguchi (CHW)

SS: Miguel Tejada (BAL)

3B: Troy Glaus (TOR)

OF: Manny Ramirez (BOS)

OF: Vernon Wells (TOR)

OF: Jermaine Dye (CHW)

That is pretty spot on to what the all-star game should look like...but unfortunately won't.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:21 AM)
First of all, like I said coming into Tuesday's game A-Rod had the highest OPS among 3Bs in the AL. He was one thousandth of a point ahead of Glaus. I was not wrong. A-Rod was 0-4 today and Glaus was 1-4 so I guess they could have flip flopped but I did not have the up to the second numbers.

2nd of all I don't see how more HRs can put Tejada ahead of Jeter when Jeter is hitting like 20 points higher and have an OBP that is 60 points higher and a higher OPS. He has had a great season stealing bases 15/17 and is the leader of one of the better teams in the AL. I guess statistically one could argue he is only marginally better than Tejada, but I think it would be very difficult for one to say he has been better than Jeter.

I also disagree with defense being a wash, Jeter is more reliable on the routine plays and just as spectacular on the tough ones. Tejada deserves to be an all-star, he deserves to be Jeter's backup.

I disagree. Tejada over his career is a much much better defender with much better range. Even most Yankee fans will admit that Jeter doesn't have much range. I'd take tons of players ahead of Jeter defensively at SS.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
I disagree. Tejada over his career is a much much better defender with much better range. Even most Yankee fans will admit that Jeter doesn't have much range. I'd take tons of players ahead of Jeter defensively at SS.

That is what I think too. Jeter has to make spectacular plays on one's that should be routine because of his range.