Sox @ Cubs - July 1

Heads22

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i said haeger over Vazquez.

we only gave haeger one chance.

he's been solid most of the year at Charlotte.

Could trade Vaz and get a functioning part in CF, maybe somebody who could really swing the stick, hit .190 and remember to touch first base when he hits the occasional ball into the gap (See Game Three agaisnt Pittsburgh for details.)

Get him the f*** out of the game!! I don't care if it was on an error. Leaving Vasquez to give up runs 7-9 lost us that game against Houston. All the blame for this game is on Ozzie in my opinion, if we need to come back with more than 2 runs to win.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Something happened to Javier at the all-star break in 2004. He's been mediocre to bad ever since then. Before that, he was one of the best young pitchers in baseball.

In that way, Vazquez reminds me of Jeff Weaver. Tons of potential, but could never pitch well on a winning team.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
Vasquez is going to turn it around. He needs to work on the corners more and avoid the big inning just like Garland has to. I'd give him time, he can be dominating at times.

No, he won't. Ball clubs and fans have thought that for years about him, and he just won't do it. He's not a good pitcher and he never will be.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
the reason it happened is because, KW doesn't want to pay a preimum for pitching, Garland and Count hadn't signed their 3yr contracts, and it was a move both out of panic and point. Count's agent kept misinforming him until KW finally had a heart to heart with him. that is why we Got Vazquez.

I totally understand that. I still have my doubts as to whether that really is the reason why Count and Garland signed. I think we all know Count was misinformed from his agent (Jose found out about the supposed offer and called Kenny asking him about it and that went really quickly) and I think Jon would have signed.

I do understand that point and it did work if in fact we wouldn't have signed those guys (or been able to) without the added pressure of having Vazquez. But I'm not a fan of trading an upper echelon prospect at a "need" position along with a pretty damn solid reliever who can throw a lot (Vizcaino) for a 5th starter with some baggage who was good a few years back. And by baggage I refer to the fact that he b****ed and moaned in NY and than when he was sent to LA (that wasn't good enough for him) so he ends up in Arizona and demands a trade again.

I'm sorry, but Vazquez is a crying baby and thats what has long pissed me off about acquiring him. Plus we took a guy like Brandon (who was key for us down the stretch; we don't make the playoffs without his performances) and converted him into the pen when we could have just let him grow (into a far better pitcher than the current Vazquez is) all while having a legit reliever throwing out of the pen (Viz as opposed to Bmac) and a little more money (although I was a fan of getting rid of Duque and I think we'd have found a taker either way for him and been able to pick up some sort of bullpen arm, even if it was a raw one).

Do we have a starter that hasn't gotten pissed all over in a game thread?

People stomped all over Contreras when he almost lost a game.

Fact is, if Ozzie felt the Sox had a better option in the rotation, he'd be in there instead of Vazquez. Sox management must not feel that McCarthy is ready for it yet.

Attaboy AJ!

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
God, what a terrible, terrible trade that was.

Its not a terrible trade, but if Chris Young lives up to his potential, it could go down as one of the worse in franchise history. However, if Vazquez pitches like Coop, KW and a lot of people (who I happen to think are wrong) think he can, well in that case its a good deal for the Sox. I just don't see it happening, mainly because I'm not a fan of his attitude.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
God, what a terrible, terrible trade that was.

Good lord.

Were you one of those spewing the same s*** back in August of 2004 when Contreras was giving up 9 runs to the Angels?

Vazquez has always been on KW's radar. Vazquez is signed through next season and is arbitration eligble in 2008. This was not a trade made for an immediate impact.

What has Chris Young done so far this year Milkman?

I see Vizcaino (who negative nancies like yourself threw under the bus way too early last season) is having an even worse June then Jazquez and his numbers are sky rocketing.

El Duque was already traded from the D'Backs after posting a POS 6.11 ERA, and his now posting a POS 4.89 ERA with the Mets.

Javy has been dissapointed this year, but do you guys hoenstly expect him to keep pitching like this for the rest of the season? The rest of his contract?

How did Contreras do in the beginning of 2005?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
No, he won't. Ball clubs and fans have thought that for years about him, and he just won't do it. He's not a good pitcher and he never will be.

Since 2000, he's never had a season with an ERA of 5.00 or higher, so he isn't THAT bad. The thing with Vazquez is that he has stretches where he gets absolutely rocked and he has stretches where he is close to unhittable. I have been following just about every start he has made the past two years and seen the trend. For Arizona last year, he would either give up 9 runs or throw 8 innings of one run ball. Give him a chance, he will win us several games down the stretch this year.