So where's Jay been?

wilmot825

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
So is it vacation time, sabbatical, suspension, or what?

How much vacation time would a columnist have if his editor says he won't be back "for weeks and weeks and weeks"?

I think Mariotti is lying again, or at the very least not telling the whole truth. What else is new.

He said he has 8 weeks off and will be back in mid August. He wouldn't give an exact date.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
So is it vacation time, sabbatical, suspension, or what?

How much vacation time would a columnist have if his editor says he won't be back "for weeks and weeks and weeks"?

I think Mariotti is lying again, or at the very least not telling the whole truth. What else is new.

Its all of the above. Hes kind of suspended, hes kind of on vacation. The SunTimes is in a very tough spot with Mariotti. They cant "suspend" him, because it then admits Censorship, which would be the death-blow for a Newspaper. Mariotti is furious at his paper ........... so there is a detente of sorts between the two. Mariotti is taking some time to "cool off", and the paper is looking the other way regarding his vacation

Like being kind of pregnant I guess.

If Mariotti doesn't currently have free choice to come back and start writing columns, it's a suspension.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:46 AM)
Like being kind of pregnant I guess.

If Mariotti doesn't currently have free choice to come back and start writing columns, it's a suspension.

at the same time though, hes taking as much time as he wants. And the SunTimes isnt really sweating him about it either. Hes staying away, and the Times is glad hes away ....... for now. Like I said, his paper is FURIOUS about the charge he made against them, and that can hurt the papers credibility (ive called out some of their writers already) Immensely. The Trib is watching this situation veryclosely

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
at the same time though, hes taking as much time as he wants. And the SunTimes isnt really sweating him about it either. Hes staying away, and the Times is glad hes away ....... for now. Like I said, his paper is FURIOUS about the charge he made against them, and that can hurt the papers credibility (ive called out some of their writers already) Immensely. The Trib is watching this situation veryclosely

Are these just your opinions or do you actually have sources that are telling you these facts?

Hangar,

I don't think the Trib is wasting anytime monitoring this "situation". People are not going to stop buying the Sun-Times because there was a situation with Mariotti that turned bad. Everyone knows he has no credibility and anything he says carries little or no weight.

bighurt574 hit the nail on the head. By suspended him, they are not admitting that there was censorship, they are disciplining him for getting out of line and going beyond his scope of duties.

I wouldn't be surprised if we've seen the last of him with the Times. He is probably looking for a new job right now, maybe a permanent figure on Around the Horn!

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
He is probably looking for a new job right now, maybe a permanent figure on Around the Horn!

That would be the perfect place for him. If the Sun-Times fired him and he went full-time ESPN, it would be like Sea-World freeing Willy or whatever. "Back to your own kind you go, little fella! No, don't look back! Just go! Go, damn you! *crying*"

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if we've seen the last of him with the Times. He is probably looking for a new job right now, maybe a permanent figure on Around the Horn!

He's probably in line for a full time ESPN job a la Woody Paige.

I wouldn't mind this. He really isn't all too bad most of the time on AtH. Of course, he is there mainly for his comedic value as he has a long standing rivalry with Woody Paige.

This is funny, from Scott Reifert's blog this morning:

"Our favorite columnist took to the airwaves on WSCR earlier this week to explain that he is, indeed, on vacation.

During the interview, he again criticized me (imagine that) when responding to a question from North about his contact with the team. North quoted from a recent article in the Chicago Reader that mentioned "emails" that had been sent to me.

To clarify, the columnist has never sent me an email. His preferred method of communication is voicemail, and I have received some strong ones over the years (imagine that). Many probably wouldn't get past the MLBAM censor to be posted here, but there have been a couple recently that we have debated making public, solely to show everyone just who and what we deal with when it is not vacation season.

We might have that debate once again ...

During his interview, the columnist also criticized the Chicago Tribune's media writer for not calling him or his editor before writing articles about the issue. I can't speak for the general public, but I sense some irony here. Is he asking the Tribune writer to talk personally to his sources (in a sense to "show up")?

Is that ironic or is it just me?"

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
During his interview, the columnist also criticized the Chicago Tribune's media writer for not calling him or his editor before writing articles about the issue.

BAHAHAHAHAHA, are you f'n joking me???? Wow.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
This is funny, from Scott Reifert's blog this morning:

"Our favorite columnist took to the airwaves on WSCR earlier this week to explain that he is, indeed, on vacation.

During the interview, he again criticized me (imagine that) when responding to a question from North about his contact with the team. North quoted from a recent article in the Chicago Reader that mentioned "emails" that had been sent to me.

To clarify, the columnist has never sent me an email. His preferred method of communication is voicemail, and I have received some strong ones over the years (imagine that). Many probably wouldn't get past the MLBAM censor to be posted here, but there have been a couple recently that we have debated making public, solely to show everyone just who and what we deal with when it is not vacation season.

We might have that debate once again ...

During his interview, the columnist also criticized the Chicago Tribune's media writer for not calling him or his editor before writing articles about the issue. I can't speak for the general public, but I sense some irony here. Is he asking the Tribune writer to talk personally to his sources (in a sense to "show up")?

Is that ironic or is it just me?"

This is one vote for releasing the tapes. Blow the lid off of the fraud.

QUOTE(bighurt574 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
How does suspending him admit censorship? If Mariotti's allegation was completely false, would a suspension not be warranted?

He came out and said he had a problem with his paper, because theyve "censored" his SOX columns back in October. His paper of course is very angry that he made this charge. Have you heard anyone from the SunTimes saying otherwise? Of course not, they want that to go away very quietly, but at the same time, arent happy that he made that known. The only thing I like about all of this, is that he made the same charge to the Trib censoring their own writers, and it was very timely, as Sullivan had a behind-the-scenes beatdown administered to him by people from the other team.

I suspect Mariotti has a different definition of "censorship" than his editors do, and therein lies the problem.

Columnists are subject to the editorial red pen much the same as staff writers. None of the other Sun Times columnists seem to be complaining about censorship. That, to me, speaks volumes, especially since the Sun Times employs several long term, veteran columnists.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
I suspect Mariotti has a different definition of "censorship" than his editors do, and therein lies the problem.

Columnists are subject to the editorial red pen much the same as staff writers. None of the other Sun Times columnists seem to be complaining about censorship. That, to me, speaks volumes, especially since the Sun Times employs several long term, veteran columnists.

And if you throw in their seeming market as the "tabloid" newspaper of Chicago complete with the blaring/misleading headlines, and prominantly placed gossip columnists, it makes it all that much more amazing.

And if you throw in their seeming market as the "tabloid" newspaper of Chicago complete with the blaring/misleading headlines, and prominantly placed gossip columnists, it makes it all that much more amazing.

Exactly, as in, what on earth could he have written that can't even get approved by Sun Times editors? Must have been something really imflammatory. Again, it's all speculation but I find it interesting that it's Mariotti who seems to have a pattern of trouble with editors/program directors/bosses. Sooner or later the finger points squarely at him.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
Exactly, as in, what on earth could he have written that can't even get approved by Sun Times editors? Must have been something really imflammatory. Again, it's all speculation but I find it interesting that it's Mariotti who seems to have a pattern of trouble with editors/program directors/bosses. Sooner or later the finger points squarely at him.

Thats a good question, what could he have possibly written, that the paper deemed it necessary to Censor its own writer? Could it have been that trashy? that uncalled for? It never stopped the SunTimes before. Maybe he has something, maybe someone from the SOX did put the screws on the SunTimes and they indeed censored his articles and he decided to blow the whistle on them. Maybe it wasnt even something that ridiculous or unfounded. The SunTimes has never done this before (to my knowledge anyway) but again, making a charge like this Ruins the Credibility (whatever the SunTimes has left) of the newspaper. Thats why nobody is really talking, other than Jay. On that note, we havnt heard a peep out of Sullivan for that matter either

but again, making a charge like this Ruins the Credibility (whatever the SunTimes has left) of the newspaper. On that note, we havnt heard a peep out of Sullivan for that matter either

What charge?

The credibility of the newspaper is, IMO, increased now that Mariotti is on, ahem, "vacation".

Maybe they are just sick and tired of dealing with Mariotti's difficult "I want it my way and my way only" personality. I suspect that's exactly the case.

Sullivan's issue was Cubs brass felt he was printing personal criticism of the players vs. professional criticism. Fine line I suppose, but they hashed it out in private, which is the way it should be done. Sullivan has basically said as such on the Sun. morning baseball radio programs. Viewpoints were exchanged, it appears over, and that's that.

Thats a good question, what could he have possibly written, that the paper deemed it necessary to Censor its own writer? Could it have been that trashy? that uncalled for? It never stopped the SunTimes before.

It happens every day ... at the Sun Times and every paper in America. Editors say "no, that's not going to be printed."

Sometimes it's whole stories, sometimes it's one line of a story, sometimes it's one word.

You would have to guess in the postseason he was trying to

be critical in a column of the Sox.

When a team is in the World Series, big city newspapers

tend to jump on the bandwagon big time and they probably

didn't want any negative crap coming out of the Mariotti camp.

You have to give the Sox credit for shutting up all the pundits

last postseason.

If they would have choked it away to Cleveland in September

it would have been monumental, still being written about with

potshots.

If they would have lost any of the series in which they grabbed

the commanding early lead, i.e. going up 2-0 on Houston, etc.

the talk of hexes and choking also would be there.

Good job SOX.