Official "Squared Circle" Thread

Guest $I Need Money$

Few news and notes.

1. They're breaking up the Spirit Squad. A tag division! My kingdom for a legit tag division! Let's give the titles to the Neo-Bushwhackers until a new tag team comes along in 3 months to take the titles away and have the Highlanders split.

2. Ken Kennedy is going to be fed to Deacon Dave Batista at GAB.

Onto...WWECW on SciFi

Kelly's Expose of Mr. Laurinaitis sucking as a talent scout for a few minutes. She has the deer in the headlights and looks focused on remembering her dance routine rather than trying to get the crowd into it.

Mike Knox stops her and calls out the Sandman.

Mike Knox d. the Sandman after hitting like five low blows in a row...in our Extreme Rules match of the night (gee, how'd we get so lucky!)

But the bright spot of the match: During the match, the Sandman caned Kelly square in the head! :D I so hope this means the end of the Expose on ECW since she had to be kayfabed "wheeled out by EMTs"

The Reject Shannon Moore standing on camera vignette (I liked him better as the Crown Prince of Punk)

Paul Heyman promo that he's so smart and needs for the crowd (aka his children) to drink the Kool-Aid. Dreamer interrupts the promo and cuts his own. He says that Heyman owes us an explanation for what he's doing and the state of ECW. Heyman kisses him on the lips and Test plasters Dreamer with a mafia kick to the face. Test hits his lame neckbreaker finisher and is smiling like a doofy idiot.

Balls Mahoney promo about being extreme cuz his name is Balls Mahoney and he is a knucklehead who goes all out and he likes himself that way cuz he's Balls Mahoney.

Sabu d. Big Stevie Cool, Stevie Richards in a regular match via the Camel Clutch (stupid 1 extreme rules match per show...fabulous booking there Vince, Steph and co!)

During the match a big "We Want Tables!" chant starts out. Sabu also hit a nice springboard into a DDT as well. Unfortunately none of his traditional spots with the leg lariat, facebuster, etc. since it was a regular rules match.

CM Punk promo that he knows all sorts of martial arts and wrestling. He's trained and it is time that people find out that he is disciplined because he is CM Punk.

Mordecai/Vampire promo with the fortune teller (Shelly Martinez) saying that Show's reign shows the Death card in her tarot reading.

Big Show domination vignette lead into main event.

Taker d. Big Show via DQ...

The "Great" (that term is used liberally) Khali runs-in and causes the DQ. Taker gets chokeslammed through the announce table by Khali and Show as the show goes off the air.

Highlights of the Show

1. Kelly getting caned in the face! There is not much that can top the potential that she may be off of WWECW TV next week.

2. CM Punk promo...Looks like they're going about this the right way by teasing the character and getting us to know him before putting him out there. Looks like they may also be scrambling for him to change his finisher from the Pepsi Plunge (a pedigree off the top rope) to something else since the Pedigree is owned by HHH.

3. Realizing that Joey Styles is king of the sellouts for accepting the job when he didn't need it and not trying to get released from his contract after cutting his scathing anti-sports entertainment promo in May.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody catch the latest WWECW show? well nothin was new, sabu wrestled a non "extreme rules" match

and what was an entertaining match between 'Taker/Show was ruined by the run-in by Khali...*sighs* what could of been.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
Anybody catch the latest WWECW show? well nothin was new, sabu wrestled a non "extreme rules" match

and what was an entertaining match between 'Taker/Show was ruined by the run-in by Khali...*sighs* what could of been.

But it's all good because Kelly got caned in the face!!!!! This could mean that Kelly may be off TV even for a short period of time.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Highlights of the Show

1. Kelly getting caned in the face! There is not much that can top the potential that she may be off of WWECW TV next week.

3. Realizing that Joey Styles is king of the sellouts for accepting the job when he didn't need it and not trying to get released from his contract after cutting his scathing anti-sports entertainment promo in May.

yes, I didnt think they would cane Kelly but it happened...and hell listenin to Joey is half the reason I watch

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
But it's all good because Kelly got caned in the face!!!!! This could mean that Kelly may be off TV even for a short period of time.

I doubt that'll happen...Vince loves her too much

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Few news and notes.

2. Ken Kennedy is going to be fed to Deacon Dave Batista at GAB.

I love Ken Kennedy. i hope he pulls off some sort of upset, but it is highly doubtful. He is one hell of an athletic wrestler though, and his intro bit is hilarious

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 07:15 AM)
I love Ken Kennedy. i hope he pulls off some sort of upset, but it is highly doubtful. He is one hell of an athletic wrestler though, and his intro bit is hilarious

I'm a big Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiister Kennedy!...............................Kennedy! mark.

It just makes me sad that they're going to likely feed him to Dave Batista -- just like they fed the Spirit Squad to DX and completely destroyed any "monster heel"-ness that Umaga had in the match with SuperCena™ They always create these good ideas for heels and then the wheels fall off in feuds with SuperCena and SuperDave because creative is absolutely terrible.

The writers for WWE legitimately asked JBL how they get fake blood to pump from their heads during matches and referred to dark matches as "lights out" matches. The vast majority of them have no knowledge of the business and are completely devoid of any knowledge about how to make exciting wrestling television.

WWE has a lot of talented workers but just really push the wrong ones and bury others with bad gimmicks/storylines. But all that is kinda out of my mind because Kelly got caned in the face yesterday! :) After weeks of that lame expose segment, I am so glad that she may be off TV for a week.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm a big Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiister Kennedy!...............................Kennedy! mark.

It just makes me sad that they're going to likely feed him to Dave Batista -- just like they fed the Spirit Squad to DX and completely destroyed any "monster heel"-ness that Umaga had in the match with SuperCena™ They always create these good ideas for heels and then the wheels fall off in feuds with SuperCena and SuperDave because creative is absolutely terrible.

The writers for WWE legitimately asked JBL how they get fake blood to pump from their heads during matches and referred to dark matches as "lights out" matches. The vast majority of them have no knowledge of the business and are completely devoid of any knowledge about how to make exciting wrestling television.

WWE has a lot of talented workers but just really push the wrong ones and bury others with bad gimmicks/storylines. But all that is kinda out of my mind because Kelly got caned in the face yesterday! :) After weeks of that lame expose segment, I am so glad that she may be off TV for a week.

Man somehow I knew that when Kelly got caned, you'd love it the most...but things haven't been the same since Russo left. Hell I think a few of us on this board could put together a better script. For example, I'd keep the strap on Edge for a little while, develop this Carlito/Nitro feud a bit, develop an actual tag division and have Triple H feud with Orton (i dunno why i'm a mark for Orton, theres just somethin about him)

Dont get me started on what i'd do with WWECW...

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
Man somehow I knew that when Kelly got caned, you'd love it the most...but things haven't been the same since Russo left. Hell I think a few of us on this board could put together a better script. For example, I'd keep the strap on Edge for a little while, develop this Carlito/Nitro feud a bit, develop an actual tag division and have Triple H feud with Orton (i dunno why i'm a mark for Orton, theres just somethin about him)

Dont get me started on what i'd do with WWECW...

Vince Russo was the worst thing to happen to wrestling ever. He wasn't the mind behind WWF/E's rise, Vince was. He pretty much single hadedly made WCW a joke and ran them into the ground.

Every old time wrestling fan should like/respect Randy Orton. He has natural heel charisma that Ric Flair had back in the day.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
Vince Russo was the worst thing to happen to wrestling ever. He wasn't the mind behind WWF/E's rise, Vince was. He pretty much single hadedly made WCW a joke and ran them into the ground.

Every old time wrestling fan should like/respect Randy Orton. He has natural heel charisma that Ric Flair had back in the day.

I agree 100% about Russo, and disagree 100% about Orton.

When I look at Orton, I see a smug jackass who feels he should receive undeserved pushes because of who his Dad and Grampa were. His antics backstage and clear disregard for company rules and policies reinforces to me that he clearly thinks he's better than the business. Where that comes from, I don't know, because IMO he's a mediocre worker with below-average mic skills.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
When I look at Orton, I see a smug jackass who feels he should receive undeserved pushes because of who his Dad and Grampa were. His antics backstage and clear disregard for company rules and policies reinforces to me that he clearly thinks he's better than the business. Where that comes from, I don't know, because IMO he's a mediocre worker with below-average mic skills.

That is pretty much every wrestler in the 80s and mid 90s before the internet explosion. I remember my shock when I first heard that Randy Savage threatened to quit of something if he didn't win the WM 4 tourney.

I don't let what goes on behind the scenes effect my opinion of a guy on screen. I think if the writers in wrestling were better, you'd see Orton's talent more.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This I can't help but disagree with... Russo did a great job at creating all the ideas... The difference is that he had people above him that were smart enough to pick out the dumb ones... and honestly why he failed in WCW isn't because his ideas were so much bad per say.. but they had been seen before...

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
That is pretty much every wrestler in the 80s and mid 90s before the internet explosion. I remember my shock when I first heard that Randy Savage threatened to quit of something if he didn't win the WM 4 tourney.

I don't let what goes on behind the scenes effect my opinion of a guy on screen. I think if the writers in wrestling were better, you'd see Orton's talent more.

I respectfully disagree.

I think if Orton was more talented, he wouldn't need the writers as much.

I just don't think he'd be in the "majors" if his name wasn't Orton.

He doesn't do anything particularly well IMHO.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you're kidding right? Then why has the product not been as good since he left?

As good? WCW was comedy when it was supposed to be serious. I hated WCW, but I'll admit I miss it now because at one point it was so bad, you had to watch it.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
I respectfully disagree.

I think if Orton was more talented, he wouldn't need the writers as much.

I just don't think he'd be in the "majors" if his name wasn't Orton.

He doesn't do anything particularly well IMHO.

Exactly.

He has to be a heel because he can't get over as a face. He's had athletic talent but hasn't had a lot of improvement in the ring. He should feud with Foley for the title of "Master of the Side Headlock". I get so tired of Randy's restholds and pool of like 5 moves that he can do well.

As for the current product -- I think that the reason the Attitude/Russo era was so good was because the wrestlers had a lot more input into their characters and what would help generate heat. Russo threw out tons of ideas and had people there to pick out the promising ones as well as throwing out the stupid ideas. The wrestlers had an aura of believability there -- that their gimmick was an extension of who they were as a person. Plus, the writers at the time knew about the business (lingo, matches, the wrestlers etc.)

Vince was a major reason that Russo left. Russo has since been quoted at stating that he left because of an altercation he had with McMahon where Russo questioned the workload placed upon him (SmackDown! had just been introduced, so he had to write 4 hours of wrestling or more each week) and McMahon simply told him to "go hire a nanny", referring to the fact that Russo wanted to spend more time with his children and less time writing.

The writers for WWE now have no clue about the business (i.e. asking JBL how they get the fake blood to pump out of their heads during matches and referring to dark matches as 'lights out' matches) which means they're fighting with 1 hand tied behind their back already. They don't go to the wrestlers for input about gimmicks but rather just write the show with bad sexual humor and poor story arcs because that's what they're used to in the sitcom/lame movie world. Hence we're getting a squad of male cheerleaders, Jamal from the 3 Minute Warning being re-packaged as a Somoa Joe wannabe and lots of other totally unbelievable gimmicks. Add in the cheap use of DX to get some memorabilia dollars and give HHH a reason to not go after the strap and we've got a pretty weak show. SmackDown! has such thin talent on its roster, especially with the injury to the Predator er, excuse me Mark Henry. I feel like its the mid 90s again with the Bushwhackers, Giant Gonzal---Great Khali, Taker overcoming some odds.

ECW is being turned into the new Katie Vick. Both of them are being screwed after their deaths.

WCW failed not so much because Russo had crazy gimmicks and nobody to say "that sucked" (that was definitely part of it) It also had to do with the political situation of the main eventers holding down the new people and not wanting to give up their spot/do the job (look at Kidman/Hogan). The suits at TNT/TBS also thought that wrestling was too low-brow and didn't want it on their station so they were fighting with that as well. WrestleCrap Radio did a great job with a two part interview of Vince Russo (the writers of the site wrote a book about the Death of WCW)

Russo said that the first taping for WCW, he was in the building for an hour when the backstage political situation firsthand. Damn near every mid-carder ran up and thanked them for coming and were all wanting a chance to main event (Mysterio, Malenko, Eddy, etc.) The main eventers gave Russo/Ferrara dirty looks that they might lose their spots. In defense of Russo, the ratings raised in 3 months from the start from a 1.6 to a 2.6. The suits called him in and said that Russo/Ferrara were doing a poor job. He left creative and then got called back after the 2.6 went back to a 1.6 over a matter of months.

It was a combo of nobody sifting through Russo's ideas, the political situation of WCW and the suits in the front office not wanting wrestling programming all combined to bring down WCW during the tale end of the Monday Night Wars. (And add in the "Foley's going to win the world title. That'll sure put asses in the seats." comment for good measure)

http://wrestlecrap.com/wrestlecrapradio/wcradio022406.mp3 -- Interview with Vince Russo regarding WCW. Pretty interesting discussion.

But even so, it all can't take away the joy I got at seeing this...It made the reincarnation of ECW worth it.

KellyCaned.jpg

I have a buddy who makes me think i am a complete novice when it comes to wrestling "history", and he thought was Russo attempted to do with WCW was awesome. We got into a big discussion about it one day and I started out by saying when Russo showed up all of the bigtime wrestlers of the promotion started dissapearing off of television and I hated it because it was no fun to watch anymore. Then he starts telling me about how the backstage political scene got so bad that Russo finally snapped and told the whole NWO/Wolfpac/hollywood hogan crew to take their spiff and leave if they thought they were going to run things. And most of this anger stemmed from the match where Russo put hogan against jarrett to take the strap off of hogan. Hogan literally laid on the mat and jarrett put his foot on hogan and jarrett officially became part of "the crew".

then Russo got on the mic and told the whole crowd that they would never again see Hogan, Nash, Hall, Steiner, or any of those guys on WCW tv again because he was sick of them ruining what could potentially be a good program and burying all of the other wrestlers. I remembered watching that show and wondering what the hell Russo was talking about, but after my friend provided a lot of info that I wasnt aware of, things that i watched towards the end of WCW made more sense. It was an interesting conversation between me and my buddy, to say the least.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
ECW is being turned into the new Katie Vick. Both of them are being screwed after their deaths.

KellyCaned.jpg

:lolhitting The Russo/WCW era coulda worked...but certain angles/gimmicks/wrestlers just didnt seem to work (i.e. Warrior/OWN, Hogan Vs. Warrior at Halloween Havoc, Arquette as champion, The knockoff JR, Hardcore Hak, ICP, etc....)

I knew a Taker/Khali match would be hard to watch...but check out this pic clipped from the front page story of WWE.com. Anybody see what's wrong with the picture?

WWETypo.jpg

--

And some of the better captions I've seen for this picture (via WrestleCrap)

KellyCaned.jpg

Luckily the air-head deployed, protecting Knox from the impact.

Although it wasn't the first time Kelly Kelly got wood to the face everyone was in shock.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:43 AM)
i caught it....i do think i'll be downloading this "punjabi prison" match due to pure curiosity

I'll look for it on youtube or something, only because it has the potential to be the worst match of all time.

They'll have to have a ton of crazy "spiff" :bang and/or buckets of blood to mask the fact that this match features a guy on the fast track to retirement against maybe the worst wrestler of all time.

And LCR, while I know you have lines like that Katie Vick one in you, I just KNEW that line was lifted from somewhere.... :lol:

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
I'll look for it on youtube or something, only because it has the potential to be the worst match of all time.

They'll have to have a ton of crazy "spiff" :bang and/or buckets of blood to mask the fact that this match features a guy on the fast track to retirement against maybe the worst wrestler of all time.

And LCR, while I know you have lines like that Katie Vick one in you, I just KNEW that line was lifted from somewhere.... :lol:

I'm sorry, Critic. There is almost no way that the Punjabi Prison Match can beat any of the following for worst match of all time:

Dog Kennel From Hell - Al Snow v. Big Boss Man

Any Jackie Gayda match

HHH v. Ultimate Warrior where H Cubed got pinned in 12 seconds (and Warrior no-sold the Pedigree)

Pat Patterson vs Gerald Brisco in an Evening Gown Match

Anything from the card at WrestleMania IX

The cage match from WCW Uncensored where Hogan and Savage took on like 9 guys and won

When The Giant "fell off the top of the building" and still showed up to wrestle Hogan in WCW

And besides we've seen this match before and we know who wins. Remember -- the giant brought out that Taker couldn't beat, he was off TV for a while scared that he might not win...

In fact, it goes back to my WrestleMania IX comments...Just give Khali an airbrushed suit with hair and an ass on it and we'll be in a time capsule!

wm9match2.jpg

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
I'm sorry, Critic. There is almost no way that the Punjabi Prison Match can beat any of the following for worst match of all time:

Anything from the card at WrestleMania IX

Shawn Michaels vs. Tatanka was good, except the bogus ending.