Official "Squared Circle" Thread

Guest $I Need Money$

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ May 3, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
I tend to agree with you about the brand extension not making a whole bunch of sense. The reason I think he keeps it hanging around is the luxury of having 2 main titles. He has 4 hours of TV to fill a week and a lot of superstars to keep happy. It's easier for him to do that with 2 titles than 1.

Good point about the straps, but I actually think it was a more effective buildup when the federations each had one "main" title and numerous "2nd tier" titles like the U.S., television and Intercontinental titles. (having a few different tag titles also helped keep guys happy). I know each brand still has separate titles, but most casual fans just see all WWE wrestlers as similar, not a Raw wrestler or SmackDown wrestler. I really believe that having so many "world title" matches kind of dilutes the concept of the world title.

...of course, handing the belt over to guys, as opposed to them legitimately winning them, also dilutes the concept... :D

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Undertaker dropping the belt Tuesday, be it to Batista or other rumored angles, this is actually a golden opportunity for the WWE to do something cool.

How about a WHC tourney at Judgement Day and anyone can enter. Imagine all the names like Batista, Kennedy, HBK, Edge, Orton, Benoit, Punk, RVD, etc... in a tournament. I would get that PPV.

Great interview w/ Gabe Sapolsky, booker for ROH, up on the Elite section of PWInsider. You can add Jimmy Rave to the list of those signed, and there are others he declined to name. At this point, it's more than 10 names, which gives them a solid roster to tell stories around.

Yes, the PPV will be taped, 2 hrs, and in the $10-15 price range. I assumed anyone who read the story would get that info. Being taped is fine, IMO - their DVD business is doing very well. The results for the shows are announced live, so sometimes there's no surprises who wins the matches, but the matches are so good, you want to find out how and why. As reported, dvds of the full shows (which run 3-4 hrs) will be available at the normal schedule.

There's a rumor that the 6/23 show in Chicago Ridge might be the next taping, featuring the rematch of Dragon/KENTA.

Yes, WWE should do a tourny at Judgment Day, but I assume they won't. Wonder who Batista will face.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 5, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
NSFW.

Funny as Hell.

http://www.wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/fg...dragon_fan.html

PWG show. Fan starts a Super Dragon chant. It pisses everybody off. Fans swear at him. Super Dragon stops the match and goes outside the ring and gets in the fan's face, threatening him with a chair.

LMAO! That guy doing the chant was awesome.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ May 3, 2007 -> 11:54 PM)
As many predicted, TNA has pulled all of their talent from ROH.

It's not going to happen overnight, but I really hope in the near future TNA is challenged for their default #2 promotion in the US rank.

Excluding the WWE and now TNA, all the top promotions in the World share talent and it works really well. The ROH Champ is from NOAH, the former tag champs were from Dragon Gate. Sydal and The Briscoes have held titles in DG in the last year. The Morishima/SHINGO match last week put over both guys and both NOAH and DG.

The ROH PPVs are a step in the right direction. If you can get the casual WWE/TNA fan who's never seen ROH to sit down and watch Morishima or KENTA or Dragon or The Briscoes, they'll probably watch again. It'd probably be a stretch but if Gabe puts either Morshima/Dragon or KENTAFuji/Briscoes on the first PPV it'll kill. If nothing else, it sounds like the second PPV will have Dragon/KENTA II, so that works.

TNA continues to have one of the best talent rosters around, but can't pull their head out of their asses and utilize it. It amazes me. I'm sure they'll get RVD soon enough and drop the ball with that one as well.

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ May 6, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
The ROH PPVs are a step in the right direction. If you can get the casual WWE/TNA fan who's never seen ROH to sit down and watch Morishima or KENTA or Dragon or The Briscoes, they'll probably watch again.

*raises hand* I watched some ROH stuff purely on the rave reviews i've heard here and i'm hooked. I like the fact that it can have angles and storylines, but not forget about the wrestling. Now how long until ROH's ideas get stolen and their roster raided

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ May 6, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
Oh and it turns out that Orton trashed the hotel room, AFTER he found out he was being sent home...this guy's a real pro.

You beat me to it, here is the full story:

There has been a major update to the situation regarding Randy Orton being sent home from last month's WWE European tour.

Originally, news broke that Randy Orton had been sent home because upwards of $50,000 in damages had been done to his hotel room. WWE.com picked up on the story and released their own statement, saying that Orton had been kicked off the tour for "undisclosed reasons" and would be disciplined appropriately.

Wade Keller of the Pro Wrestling Torch is reporting that Randy Orton's trashed hotel room was Orton's REACTION to being sent home - NOT the actual reason! Sources who were there in Europe say the situation still has a great deal of secrecy around it but that Orton was "unfit to perform" for a few of the shows and was simply out of control the entire week.

Despite being one of the younger stars on the roster, Orton has had a long history of bad behavior. He is said to be very distant to others backstage and many have questioned why WWE hasn't released him already.

Hmm, "unfit to perform". Orton likes to drink, or Orton likes the drugs, or both.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ May 6, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
Oh and it turns out that Orton trashed the hotel room, AFTER he found out he was being sent home...this guy's a real pro.

He's just passionate about his profession. :D

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 6, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
Kinda funny how TNA is demanding Austin Aries back but not Roddy.

He hasn't been under contract with them since last summer. When they renewed Aries, they didn't renew Strong or he didn't want to renew... depending on who you believe.

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ May 6, 2007 -> 05:56 PM)
He hasn't been under contract with them since last summer. When they renewed Aries, they didn't renew Strong or he didn't want to renew... depending on who you believe.

As talented as he is, I just can't get behind wrestlers named Roderick or Davey. Their in-ring stuff is good but still...Roderick and Davey doesn't strike fear into opponents.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 6, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
As talented as he is, I just can't get behind wrestlers named Roderick or Davey. Their in-ring stuff is good but still...Roderick and Davey doesn't strike fear into opponents.

Don't forget they both suck with the mic, that doesn't help their fear striking abilities.

Vinny Mac wants to give Chris Masters a push so expect to see him win the IC strap at Judgment Day

Also expect RVD to be phased out of TV in the next month or so, Vinny Mac is looking to avoid a Christian Cage type deal where he was on TV the next week.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ May 7, 2007 -> 12:49 AM)
Vinny Mac wants to give Chris Masters a push so expect to see him win the IC strap at Judgment Day

Also expect RVD to be phased out of TV in the next month or so, Vinny Mac is looking to avoid a Christian Cage type deal where he was on TV the next week.

Chris Masters push + Great Khali push = me pushing buttons on my remote.

I won't miss RVD at all - he hasn't done one thing to develop his character in 10 years. He's played out and dull as hell.

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ May 7, 2007 -> 12:34 AM)
Aries will be annoucing what his "future in wrestling holds" on Monday at austinaries.com

should be interesting...

Due to developing circumstances, Austin Aries is not able to comment on his professional status at this time. A statement will be forthcoming in the future at a more appropriate time. Austin does wish to convey his personal thanks to all his fans for their continued patience and support!!!

And some background info...

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that Austin Starr’s most recent TNA suspension was a result of “attitude” he expressed towards filming vignettes for TNA television.

Starr reportedly made reservations for April 16�"the day between the last TNA PPV and the iMPACT tapings�"to celebrate his birthday, which was that weekend. TNA, however, asked Starr to come into the studio to film some vignettes.

The wrestler, who believed April 16 to be a day-off, asked if he could instead just film the vignettes the next day, since he was already scheduled to work the tapings in Orlando. TNA argued that the writing team came up with those vignettes on “their day off.” Additionally, Bob Backlund, who was scheduled to appear in the vignettes, had agreed to come in that day as well.

Starr eventually agreed to film the segments, but by that time, TNA was already frustrated with his attitude. The company decided to initiate the suspension.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 5, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
NSFW.

Funny as Hell.

http://www.wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/fg...dragon_fan.html

PWG show. Fan starts a Super Dragon chant. It pisses everybody off. Fans swear at him. Super Dragon stops the match and goes outside the ring and gets in the fan's face, threatening him with a chair.

Love that clip. Super Dragon is f***ing crazy. He once dumped an entire McDonalds bag over a fan who was booing him. the fan was covered in barbecue sauce all over him.

At the last PWG show I went to (the one with Joe/LowKi), Dragon came back from an injury and he was FATTTTTTT, so I yelled, "Hey Dragon, who knocked you up?" He came into the crowd looking for me, but everyone was standing so he couldn't find me (thankgod).

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ May 6, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
Don't forget they both suck with the mic, that doesn't help their fear striking abilities.

They don't. They need work, but they're no Matt Hardy. Also, if they suck, give them a manager. It makes a difference. See Jim Mitchell in TNA.

Also, I just want to point out I scooped all y'all on that Orton story. A firend of a friend was THERE when Orton came to the catering spread completely incoherent.

And that TNA stuff with Starr is bulls***. Let the guy have his birthday off!

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 7, 2007 -> 06:02 PM)
In yesterday's Sun-Times, Blackjack Brown said that Mr. KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDYYYYYYY was promised a title run in 2007, though it did not necessarily mean he would be the next SD! champ.

I just read that Dave Meltzer is reporting that over the weekend MISSSSSTERRRRRRRR KENNEDYYYYYYyyyyyyy suffered a TRICEPSSSSSSssss INNNNJURYYYYYYYyyyyy.......INJURYyyyyyy.....

...and that it appears to be "significant".

I really hope Kennedy's not on the shelf again.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ May 7, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)
They don't. They need work, but they're no Matt Hardy. Also, if they suck, give them a manager. It makes a difference. See Jim Mitchell in TNA.

!

I was hoping for a long time they'd get paired with Sweeney & Hero... that was before Rocky came back.

I should give Roddy some credit, he's actually been MUCH better as a heel.