Frank Thomas Suing Doctors

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
Agree. Unfortunately I can see this story being spun to make Frank look like the bad guy like always.

There isn't much to spin here if the Sox doctors screwed up. The only alternative is Frank is lying through his teeth, and I just don't see that happening.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
There isn't much to spin here if the Sox doctors screwed up. The only alternative is Frank is lying through his teeth, and I just don't see that happening.

That, or the old and fragile slugger who has never been healthy is whining again.

It's a damn shame the way Frank was treated in this town. It really bothers me...

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
That, or the old and fragile slugger who has never been healthy is whining again.

It's a damn shame the way Frank was treated in this town. It really bothers me...

The best defense for him is now that he's away from the "quacks" he seems to be restored (not 100%, but better than was reported from the Sox - read: Kenny Williams). Found a better doctor that found the right problem, and fixed things better than those here did.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)

With the value of contracts being as high as they are for players, guys like Wood and Thomas and others are going to start looking at doing things like this

(this was talked about on the Score yesterday by the way)

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
"Everything that Steff said, I agree completely"

You wouldn't say that if you were the spouse of a Doctor. Besides that, doctors are human. Some are going to make mistakes. If improper treatment led to the worsening of the injury, then there may be some merit.

But, if it only delayed the diagnosis, this lawsuit is BS.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
You wouldn't say that if you were the spouse of a Doctor. Besides that, doctors are human. Some are going to make mistakes. If improper treatment led to the worsening of the injury, then there may be some merit.

Well, there is something that is known as "failure to diagnose," which could cause some big problems for sports physicians...

Good Point. But If I just said the same thing You just said just now ...........

The proper treatment would have been to have surgery immediately and put him in a boot. They didn't do that, worsening the injury.

Yes, they make mistakes. And when they do the right thing to do is to own up to them - which is exactly what I stated.

And the spouse has nothing to worry about. Insurance insures their lives wont change one bit.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
Well, there is something that is known as "failure to diagnose," which could cause some big problems for sports physicians...

Doctors can always revert back to the fact that they are "practicing" physicians .......

which is kind of a loophole

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
The proper treatment would have been to have surgery immediately and put him in a boot. They didn't do that, worsening the injury.

Yes, they make mistakes. And when they do the right thing to do is to own up to them - which is exactly what I stated.

And the spouse has nothing to worry about. Insurance insures their lives wont change one bit.

BS about the insurance. What you have to realize is that most doctors have small amount of coverage for the ridiculous amounts that they are sued for. Jury's look at doctors as having unlimited insurance coverage or millions in the bank. THAT IS A FALSEHOOD. Most doctors can't afford the high levels of insurance coverage because people are too 'sue-happy' and jurys love to pour out the cash.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)

There are many times that a diagnosis does not occur in the first appt. Plus, they may have had a diagnosis, but the wrong one. IT HAPPENS. It has happened to me (before I married the Doc). But I did not sue my doctor.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
BS about the insurance. What you have to realize is that most doctors have small amount of coverage for the ridiculous amounts that they are sued for. Jury's look at doctors as having unlimited insurance coverage or millions in the bank. THAT IS A FALSEHOOD. Most doctors can't afford the high levels of insurance coverage because people are too 'sue-happy' and jurys love to pour out the cash.

We have a surgeon and a GP in the family. Perhaps that's how things operate in Texas, but you are incorrect about the insurance in the state of Illinois.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
We have a surgeon and a GP in the family. Perhaps that's how things operate in Texas, but you are incorrect about the insurance in the state of Illinois.

I know for a fact that Illinois rates are also very high. There are many docs that have left to practice in surrounding states (Wisc./Ind/Mich) becuase the liabilities in Illinois are too high. GP's usually do not run into too many problems with Insurance costs. Surgeons can based on specialty. Docs like OB/GYN's, neurosergeon's, and more risky specialties can not pay the high premiums to get the high levels of coverage.

My wife used to practice in Chicago, so I am aware of the issues there as well. :cheers

I can see Frank winning this lawsuit. Last summer I went to the same clinic, and they did an x-ray and MRI on my shoulder and told me nothing was wrong with it. How can I lose 30 MPH on my fastball and my shoulder be fine after seperating three times? Neglect seems like a typical thing at this clinic, I had to sit in the waiting room two hours after my apointment was scheduled, and then went inside and did a few stretches for the doctor and took an x-ray. Then after waiting in the lobby longer, they said I needed an MRI and had to come back and waste another day there.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
I know for a fact that Illinois rates are also very high. There are many docs that have left to practice in surrounding states (Wisc./Ind/Mich) becuase the liabilities in Illinois are too high. GP's usually do not run into too many problems with Insurance costs. Surgeons can based on specialty. Docs like OB/GYN's, neurosergeon's, and more risky specialties can not pay the high premiums to get the high levels of coverage.

My wife used to practice in Chicago, so I am aware of the issues there as well. :cheers

I don't recall saying the rates were not high. Apparently you misunderstood. To clarify, insurance will insure that the doctor's lifestyle will not be altered because it's the job of insurance to pay out the judgements awarded to those who's lifes have been ruined by misdiagnosis and detramental treatments. Further, I'd bet the farm the doctor(s) hired by the Sox has more than enough scratch to cover premiums - if he's even paying them as doctors hired into private industry usually have a contract that the employer pays them.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
To clarify, insurance will insure that the doctor's lifestyle will not be altered because it's the job of insurance to pay out the judgements awarded to those who's lifes have been ruined by misdiagnosis and detramental treatments.

Just to clarify MY statement, insurance will NOT always insure that the doctor's lifestyle will not be altered.

Example: Doctor has coverage of up to $1,000,000 in damages against them. The Jury awards $2,000,000. The insurance pays $1mm and the doc has to pay the balance. Sorry, but I do not have $1MM sitting in my bank account right now.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
Just to clarify MY statement, insurance will NOT always insure that the doctor's lifestyle will not be altered.

Example: Doctor has coverage of up to $1,000,000 in damages against them. The Jury awards $2,000,000. The insurance pays $1mm and the doc has to pay the balance. Sorry, but I do not have $1MM sitting in my bank account right now.

Not always, but in this case, I would bet high it would.

Get more insurance coverage. ;)