Garcia/Garland to the mets?

beautox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
(1) Schmidt did not pitch well at all last season and only has one "ace"-type season and two "good" seasons under his belt. I'm not convinced that he's going to be a super-hot commodity on the market.

:huh: Schmidt has only had one bad season since he's been on the Giants. That was last season because he was injured through out. He'll be a huge commodity on the market.

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
On paper, the Yankees should have plenty of starting pitching. Mussina, Johnson, Wang, Pavano, Wright, Chacon, etc. They shouldn't be in the market for a starting pitcher at all. But when you sign expensive guys who are in their 30's...things happen.

Well, a lot of those guys are probably gone. Mussina has a very expensive option for 07 that I can't imagine gets picked up, and Johnson and Wright's contracts will be up after 07. Going into the 2007 off-season that leaves them with Pavano, Chacon, Wang, possibly Hughes on the major league roster, and whomever they sign next year (my guess is one of Schmidt and Zito and another cheaper option). Chacon could be gone as well. One or more of that first group might be back at a lower price. By then they could theoretically be after anywhere from 1 to 4 starters depending on what happens. I find it hard to believe that they'd sign none though. 3 or 4 starters would be worst case scenarios and fairly unlikely. My guess would be something like this:

1) Schmidt/Zito

2) Pavano (though he could be dumped, replacing him with a FA in 07)

3) Wang

4) FA signing (either 06 or 07)

5) Hughes/Chacon/Mussina, Johnson, or Wright at reduced prices/other FA

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
:huh: Schmidt has only had one bad season since he's been on the Giants. That was last season because he was injured through out. He'll be a huge commodity on the market.

Schmidt was very average when he was with the Pirates and will be 34 on going into Spring Training next season. He'll get a good deal, but not in the same realm as Zito and Buehrle.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Schmidt was very average when he was with the Pirates and will be 34 on going into Spring Training next season. He'll get a good deal, but not in the same realm as Zito and Buehrle.

He probably wont get the years, but he's he'll get 10+ a year with ease, probably much more than that.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
He probably wont get the years, but he's he'll get 10+ a year with ease, probably more than that.

Considering guys like Paul Byrd got $7 million/yr, yeah he probably will. I imagine something along the lines of 4/50?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
He probably wont get the years, but he's he'll get 10+ a year with ease, probably much more than that.

Agreed about the years. I'm thinking 4 years/$45 million. If he continues to dominate throughout this season, it could be closer to $50 million.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
Considering guys like Paul Byrd got $7 million/yr, yeah he probably will. I imagine something along the lines of 4/50?

I'd say 3/36 or 3/39 with a 4th year option along with a nice $1.5M/$2M buyout would be pretty damn plausible.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
I'd say 3/36 or 3/39 with a 4th year option along with a nice $1.5M/$2M buyout would be pretty damn plausible.

That makes the most sense. I personally wouldn't even think of giving him 4 years guaranteed.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)

Yeah, that is probably more like it.

The difference between whether someone can peel him away from Seattle or not probably depends on whether a team is willing to offer him that 4th year or not.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)

Considering that he's a power pitcher in his mid-30's, I agree. While there are some notable exceptions (Clemens, Johnson, Schilling), power arms tend to abruptly decline at some point in the 30's.

Back somewhat on topic, Rosenthal's latest column has some rumors regarding Milledge and the Mets possibly trading for Zito:

The Mets have insisted for months that they won't trade their top position prospect, Class AAA outfielder Lastings Milledge. But a growing number of major-league executives believe that the Mets will indeed part with Milledge, 21, if they can get the right starting pitcher in return.

Ideally, that pitcher would be Marlins left-hander Dontrelle Willis, but the Fish aren't biting. Besides, the Marlins would want much more than Milledge for Willis, whom they control through 2009.

A's left-hander Barry Zito, a potential free agent, would be a more realistic target — the A's previously have indicated they would be willing to move Zito for a package of Milledge and Mets right-hander Aaron Heilman.

Then there is Giants right-hander Jason Schmidt, another potential free agent. The Giants have made it clear that they are not interested in trading Schmidt, but perhaps they would listen if they had a chance to acquire Milledge.

Others, however, say that Milledge triggered renewed questions about his makeup during his 24-game stint with the Mets earlier this season, prompting club officials to become more open to a trade.

The greater motivation for the Mets might be the state of their rotation, which is composed primarily of older soft tossers. A hard thrower would make more sense than another finesse type such as the Nationals' Livan Hernandez or Orioles' Rodrigo Lopez.

Zito lacks a killer fastball, but his trademark curve, combined with his changeup and sinker, almost certainly would play well in the National League.

The Mets also have had recent talks with the Diamondbacks, focusing on Arizona's pitching. The Diamondbacks are open to trading right-handed starter Miguel Batista, right-handed relievers Brandon Lyon and Greg Aquino and Class AAA reliever Jose Valverde. Milledge would not figure to be involved in such a deal.

http://foxsports.foxnews.com/mlb/story/5796782

I would again just like to point out how insane it is thinking we could get Milledge/Pelfrey for either Vaz or Garcia. Good news is, we could still maybe get a halfway decent package for one of them if the Mets are showing interest in the likes of Miguel Batista. Vazquez would seem a better fit since he could seemingly throw his fastball through a wet paper bag.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
Back somewhat on topic, Rosenthal's latest column has some rumors regarding Milledge and the Mets possibly trading for Zito:

http://foxsports.foxnews.com/mlb/story/5796782

I would again just like to point out how insane it is thinking we could get Milledge/Pelfrey for either Vaz or Garcia. Good news is, we could still maybe get a halfway decent package for one of them if the Mets are showing interest in the likes of Miguel Batista. Vazquez would seem a better fit since he could seemingly throw his fastball through a wet paper bag.

If we could get Pelfry or Milledge for Freddy or Vaz straight up I would take it. You have one pitcher who has all he tools, but is a knucklehead that implodes and another one who seems to have problems throwing his fastball.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 01:54 AM)
If we could get Pelfry or Milledge for Freddy or Vaz straight up I would take it. You have one pitcher who has all he tools, but is a knucklehead that implodes and another one who seems to have problems throwing his fastball.

I would hate to do something that lopsided, but it just shows how far Garcia and Vazquez have fallen.

From the Newark Stark Ledger;

An important part of the starting rotation that carried the White Sox to the 2005 World Series title, Garcia may nonetheless find himself in another uniform come August. Chicago has put out word that Garcia (or, less likely, fellow starting pitcher Javier Vazquez) could be had in a trade. Why? Because the White Sox want to upgrade their bullpen and possibly center field, and because they believe young pitcher Brandon McCarthy is ready to be a regular starting pitcher.

Garcia would interest the Mets, who are looking to upgrade their starting rotation. But unless they're willing to ship back either Aaron Heilman or Duaner Sanchez, it's unlikely they'll make a deal. Chicago also has its eye on Phillies reliever Tom Gordon.

Key Stat: Since pitching eight scoreless innings against the Cardinals on June 22, Garcia is 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA and 37 hits allowed in 24 innings over four starts.

I remember a week ago when I was ripped to shreds for suggesting a milledge for garland/garcia trade.

Everyone on hear saying he's 'not going anywhere' or he's 'off limits' show to be obscurd.

He'll be traded, I'd just be surprised if Jason Stark is right, and Abreu is who they get for him.. Unless the Phillies trade Brett Myers too.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
I remember a week ago when I was ripped to shreds for suggesting a milledge for garland/garcia trade.

I still think you were rightly ripped for that. No one is giving you Milledge for Garcia. That he might be moved for someone else isn't what you were arguing.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Bobby Abreu?

Unless the Sox want to be stuck with a big 3 year contract (think it's 3 cos he has a no trade clause and would want his option picked up, whether it's for 08 or 09 can't remember for sure), I'd look elsewhere.

Here's a suggestion from left field, Jimmy Rollins. Contract wise ain't great, but the Phils may be willin to throw in something else to get rid of that.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)
Unless the Sox want to be stuck with a big 3 year contract (think it's 3 cos he has a no trade clause and would want his option picked up, whether it's for 08 or 09 can't remember for sure), I'd look elsewhere.

Here's a suggestion from left field, Jimmy Rollins. Contract wise ain't great, but the Phils may be willin to throw in something else to get rid of that.

The Abreu developments are pretty stunning to me, if no reason other than the fact that Jim Duquette admitted last night that the Baltimore Sun had correctly reported that the Phillies and Orioles were actually discussing a deal which would send Rodrigo Lopez to the Phils for Bobby Abreu. He claimed the deal was "unlikely" however, because Abreu likely wouldn't waive his no trade clause to go to Baltimore without having his $16 million option picked up for 08'.

Then, you suddenly get wind that the Mets may be willing to part with Milledge for Abreu after all, which seems somewhat like offerring $1 million at an auction when the previous bidder bid $500. Strange.

As for Rollins, he is intriguing, if none other than his speed, but alas, I think he would eventually be taken behind the shed by Sox fans just as Pods has conintually been.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
The Abreu developments are pretty stunning to me, if no reason other than the fact that Jim Duquette admitted last night that the Baltimore Sun had correctly reported that the Phillies and Orioles were actually discussing a deal which would send Rodrigo Lopez to the Phils for Bobby Abreu. He claimed the deal was "unlikely" however, because Abreu likely wouldn't waive his no trade clause to go to Baltimore without having his $16 million option picked up for 08'.

Then, you suddenly get wind that the Mets may be willing to part with Milledge for Abreu after all, which seems somewhat like offerring $1 million at an auction when the previous bidder bid $500. Strange.

As for Rollins, he is intriguing, if none other than his speed, but alas, I think he would eventually be taken behind the shed by Sox fans just as Pods has conintually been.

It shows how desperate Pat Gillick is to unload the salaries of Abreu and Burrell and re-invest that into pitching. That's always been the mould of his teams.

I mentioned Rollins because yeah he offers you the speed, but he would also be a big upgrade at SS over Juan Uribe. Certainly is offensively, and he's fairly good defensively as well, not Uribe good, but better than an Alex Cintron. Just a question on his OBP which is subpar ATM, but would he get back to the way he was hitting a few seasons back if he moved here, just like Pods did?

Plus it would allow you to move Josh Fields to LF right now, and get him to take over for Pods in 07.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
It shows how desperate Pat Gillick is to unload the salaries of Abreu and Burrell and re-invest that into pitching. That's always been the mould of his teams.

I mentioned Rollins because yeah he offers you the speed, but he would also be a big upgrade at SS over Juan Uribe. Certainly is offensively, and he's fairly good defensively as well, not Uribe good, but better than an Alex Cintron. Just a question on his OBP which is subpar ATM, but would he get back to the way he was hitting a few seasons back if he moved here, just like Pods did?

Plus it would allow you to move Josh Fields to LF right now, and get him to take over for Pods in 07.

I don't dislike Jimmy Rollins, but as you said, that contract isn't club-friendly. As for his OBP, it has never been very good, as it is .327 for his career. Even with his 36 game hitting streak to end the season last year, he still only finished with an OBP of .338. He does show a bit more power than Pods, but he is on pace right now for a .740 OPS, which isn't any better than Podsednik.

Additionally, I am happy with Uribe's healthy, although extremely inconsistent production right now at the plate. I know he has a sub-.700 OPS and that is a huge concern for some, but he is on pace for 20/86 right now despite his poor BA and bb rate. He currently has an OPS above .800 with RISP, and is one of the better players on our team in a man-on-third with less than 2 outs situation (despite what he did yesterday).

That and what he does with the glove...well, I have no problems with Juan at his salary unless the Yankees start listening to Steve Phillips and decide to deal ARod.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)
I don't dislike Jimmy Rollins, but as you said, that contract isn't club-friendly. As for his OBP, it has never been very good, as it is .327 for his career. Even with his 36 game hitting streak to end the season last year, he still only finished with an OBP of .338. He does show a bit more power than Pods, but he is on pace right now for a .740 OPS, which isn't any better than Podsednik.

Additionally, I am happy with Uribe's healthy, although extremely inconsistent production right now at the plate. I know he has a sub-.700 OPS and that is a huge concern for some, but he is on pace for 20/86 right now despite his poor BA and bb rate. He currently has an OPS above .800 with RISP, and is one of the better players on our team in a man-on-third with less than 2 outs situation (despite what he did yesterday).

That and what he does with the glove...well, I have no problems with Juan at his salary unless the Yankees start listening to Steve Phillips and decide to deal ARod.

Ideally Rollins would be a very good #9 or even #2 hitter, but just not as a leadoff guy, and that's really what the Sox will be looking for if we're looking for a Pods replacement.

But it shows how hard that may be if they can't end up with a guy like Crawford.

I think Uribe sometimes just frustrates the hell out of everyone with his inconsistency, and the fact that'll he'll never really improve because his swing can change from one AB to the next. I guess what he did at the start of his White Sox career in the #2 hole, had some people including myself comparing him to a young potential Miggy Tejada, and unfortunately those comparisons aren't ever going to bear true.

That RISP stat is a good one though, and it shows how many guys in our lineup have done a great job at that, and how important it is for Pods or Ozuna to hit well. Usually when they do, we win, if not, we may struggle to score, the Detroit series being a pretty good example.

Some rumors from Gotham Baseball:

Ozzie and Aaron

The White Sox would love to get their hands on Aaron Heilman, but are taking advantage of the right-hander's recent struggles by treating his name as a throw-in to other deals the White Sox themselves are interested in making with the Mets.

“The Mets won't deal Heilman,” said one industry source. “They've been turning down any deal that mentions his name.”

http://www.gothambaseball.com/news/1153454862.php

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
Some rumors from Gotham Baseball:

http://www.gothambaseball.com/news/1153454862.php

You know, this is funny, because supposedly, the Mets "refuse" to deal EVERYONE they have of any value whatsover. We have now heard the Mets will not deal Wright, Reyes, Milledge, Pelfrey, Sanchez, and now Heilman.

Well something's got to give. They've got to trade SOMEONE to get a starter back.