Barry Rozner makes no sense

gojimthome

Speaking of available, there’s talk that outfielder Luis Gonzalez may be up for auction in Arizona, and he’d be an excellent fit with the White Sox if they didn’t have to give up much and he’d be willing to take on a lesser role here.

He’s one of the all-time great guys, so chemistry wouldn’t be an issue, and he bats left-handed.

Oh yeah. He’s also a World Series hero.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=209327

Feel free to discuss Barry's insanity and all the ways the $11,500,000 shell that was formerly known as Gonzo does not fit on the White Sox.

:chimp

QUOTE(Contreras @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=209327

Feel free to discuss Barry's insanity and all the ways the $11,500,000 shell that was formerly known as Gonzo does not fit on the White Sox.

:chimp

I saw that earlier. Usually Rozner makes a lot of sense, but I thought this was crazy also. Rozner does have really good White Sox sources though. It may be an indication of the White Sox growing dissatisfaction with Pods.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
Who would hit leadoff for us?

So many of you are complaining that this team resembles the 2002-2003-2004 team of sluggers and no small ball. But yet so many want Pods gone and Fields/other LF to replace him.

So I ask again...who hits leadoff then?

Anyone complaining that we look like 02-04 is just plain wrong. There's not a damned thing wrong with leading MLB in runs scored.

Home runs and walks > Slap hitting

We had the offense to win in 02-04. We didn't have good pitching. This year we have both, but the pitching is underperforming.

As for Pods...Not a good leadoff hitter, anyway. Compare his OBP to that of other leadoff guys in baseball and he's not too special. Factor in the weak defense...He's expendable.

Edited by Contreras' Crew

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
If the White Sox are growing dissatisfied with Pods, there's about 10,000 better LFers to go after than Gonzalez. In any event, I don't think Rozner is making a lot of sense here.

Plus, in general, I don't hold Rozner in the same high regard as you do.

How about this. Instead of putting Mack in CF all the time, send him over the LF then. Remember he is a corner OF and not a CF.

So many of you are complaining that this team resembles the 2002-2003-2004 team of sluggers and no small ball. But yet so many want Pods gone and Fields/other LF to replace him.

Mackowiak with Ozuna giving him a break every so often.

But the problem is, that the current Pods doesnt steal, is only a singles hitter. He cannot bunt this year at all. So how is he different from the leadoff hitters we have had during that 2001-2004 team. We are playing station to station with pods in the lineup right now, I dont see how that changes with him out of the lineup.

I think Rozner is crazy myself about this one. I was just saying he has top contacts with the White Sox, and he may have heard the White Sox may be looking for an upgrade in LF, and Gonzalez is his buddy who used to play for the Cubs so he threw him out there even though it makes no sense.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
Mackowiak with Ozuna giving him a break every so often.

So you want Mack or Ozuna to start and the White Sox make no moves or put Fields in LF?

Because if Fields, as so many want, is in LF next year...I ask again...who hits leadoff?

If Fields is in LF next year, they probably should start having him play LF at Charlotte right now. No need to worry about the leadoff hitter for next year yet. There will be some roster shuffling in the offseason. The leadoff guy is only guaranteed to leadoff once a game, and anyone can take strike 3 like Pods has been doing as of late.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
So you want Mack or Ozuna to start and the White Sox make no moves or put Fields in LF?

Because if Fields, as so many want, is in LF next year...I ask again...who hits leadoff?

For this year, I believe Mack/Ozuna will perform much better than Pods. I'd like them to make a move, but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

What I'm worried about is this year, and Mack/Ozuna is better than Pods this year.

Pods is fine, you ask me, so long as he's getting bunts down. I think the Sox will have learned a lot from this Detroit series. I think you may see them revert to the small ball ways. I think you may see them live or die by it. If they don't get bunts down, they go down trying. If they don't swipe bags, they go down trying. Afterall, minus one pitch, the Sox starters were very good in this series. Detroit just gave the Sox a dose of their own medicine. Hopefully they'll give back the league and even bigger one.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
I saw that earlier. Usually Rozner makes a lot of sense, but I thought this was crazy also. Rozner does have really good White Sox sources though. It may be an indication of the White Sox growing dissatisfaction with Pods.

If any position player is moved [which is highly doubtful] my bet would be Pods. But it would depend on the sox getting a player who could do what Pods can do only better. Gonzalez isn't close to what the sox need.