Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
Edit: Bah, the site doesn't show minor league innings.

Counting Minor League innings that year, he threw 165. The next year, he threw 211 in the regular season, and 23 more in the postseason. He has not topped 166 innings since.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
Bunch of points in reply.

First, the question wasn't if they threw 130+ innings, it was whether they threw 200+ innings.

Secondly, and here's the real key IMO; a lot of those guys warmed up on their way to 200 innings, they didn't just jump from 130 to 230.

Kazmir jumped from 134 to 186. D-Train threw 157 in 02 in the minors, then 197, then 197, then 236. Chacin threw 165 innings in 04 before throwing his 203 in 05. Jeff Francis threw 160 in 03, 200 between the minors and the big leagues in 04, and 184 in 05. Joe Blanton went 178 to 184 to 201. So a lot of these guys have had a couple years to build up their innings, they aren't always just thrown into the fire in pushing 230 innings their first year after throwing 130 the year before.

And another thing, it's probably worth noting how many injuries you have showing up on that list above, or either a combination of injuries and mysterious falling-backs in performance. And those are for guys making less of a jump than Verlander will have to do if they don't sit him down for a while

Basically what I was trying to show is it just does not happen, you don't have them throw 200 innings the guys I listed are basically the young pitchers in the league who were allowed to throw the most innings early on in their pro careers and hardly any of them, if any jumped to the majors at such a young age and imediately threw ~200 in their first season. And I'd say that it's pretty telling that these guys who threw much less than 200 innings still found themselves plagued with serioius arm problems a few years later.

verlander-

he's not being ridden at all; gimme a break.

the guy is easin his way through all these games.

he's a stud; he's the next randy johnson (oops, no, make that bonderman)

(cripes that guy in minn (damn their luck).)

cheers

QUOTE(zaw @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
verlander-

he's not being ridden at all; gimme a break.

the guy is easin his way through all these games.

he's a stud; he's the next randy johnson (oops, no, make that bonderman)

(cripes that guy in minn (damn their luck).)

cheers

This may be one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen.

How about we make an Anti-QOTM thread? To keep track of utter stupidity on this website.

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 06:00 AM)
I couldn't have said it better. I'm tired of hearing how "The tigers haven't played well against teams with a winning record".

I think that will change. This weekend will be tough. The baseball world will see two hot teams clash.

if you're tired of hearing it then maybe you should try posting on a tigers board. Then again, I wouldn't recommend that either. I was surfing some motorsports site and it was full of kool-aid drinking sox haters who are already mapping out the parade route for October. Comical, but pointless.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
if you're tired of hearing it then maybe you should try posting on a tigers board. Then again, I wouldn't recommend that either. I was surfing some motorsports site and it was full of kool-aid drinking sox haters who are already mapping out the parade route for October. Comical, but pointless.

Very few people on that site is guaranteeing a World Series. If they are, ignore their posts, they aren't worth it. That is a quality site.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)

There's a bad joke in there somewhere about planning a parade route in Detroit.

Bob

I find it hilarious that Motownsports is considered to be full of Kool-Aid drinking people mapping out a parade route...when nearly half the board goes insane and talks about how the team is collapsing after EVERY LOSS.

That description couldn't be any more inaccurate, if anything it is full of fans who are used to failure and still half expect it.

Anyways, tonights loss was not too suprising, the Tigers main weakness all year is a great tendency to flail at breaking pitches out of the strike zone, so Casey Fossum looked like Cy Young.

Edit: Honestly, I would consider Motownsports at this moment just as pessimistic as this board, and we're 7.5 games up in the division, I only post here because...well shockingly enough I like talking about baseball, and I find this forum to be mostly smart fans who know what they're talking about, Motownsports is quite similar in my opinion.

Edited by loltrain

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)

Wooo. I wasn't talking about this board I was talking about the talking heads on the radio and TV. If anything most of the people have been giving the Tigers respect (on this board).

And I don't go to Motownsports because its full of homers, 16 year old kids and people who don't know much about baseball.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
Rodgers living up to his 2nd half name....

Yeah recent history hasn't been kind to him, Robertson or Bonderman in the post ASB's of the seasons, and so far it looks like it may be the same.

So their offense is probably gonna have to step it up a few notches or 2, hence the addition of Casey.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:39 PM)
I find it hilarious that Motownsports is considered to be full of Kool-Aid drinking people mapping out a parade route...when nearly half the board goes insane and talks about how the team is collapsing after EVERY LOSS.

That description couldn't be any more inaccurate, if anything it is full of fans who are used to failure and still half expect it.

Anyways, tonights loss was not too suprising, the Tigers main weakness all year is a great tendency to flail at breaking pitches out of the strike zone, so Casey Fossum looked like Cy Young.

Edit: Honestly, I would consider Motownsports at this moment just as pessimistic as this board, and we're 7.5 games up in the division, I only post here because...well shockingly enough I like talking about baseball, and I find this forum to be mostly smart fans who know what they're talking about, Motownsports is quite similar in my opinion.

We like having ya and most of the Tiger fans here. You guys bring another perspective and add to the intelligent discussion on this site. :cheers