Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

Also...

Do you realize if A.J. Pierzynski did what Pudge did tonight he would be getting ripped to shreds by every fan base and media group? He might also get fined for inciting the crowd...

Why the double standard?

Edited by WHarris1

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:48 AM)
Pudge please go do some more steroids. Are the Tigers still claiming to be a real team? No real team wins from behind at will. The question is how many Tiger fans had to sell their souls for this season to happen?

This was your original post I commented on....I'm not picking a fight....but I WILL call you out when you're whining like some guy just kicked sand in your face and stole your girlfriend.......go take more steroids?!....that's a 4th grade comeback........

No, you're right prospects are exactly that and there aren't any gurantees......but I'll bet you'll be hearing a lot of Miller (this Sept as a matter of fact) and Maybin in the near future.......

Ok fine, go to another team's fan site to keep us in line from b****ing about your team. That makes a lot of sense. :huh

So just because he is always over the top with his emotion makes it ok?

Pudge has over 270 HRs in his career, I would think he could act like he has done it before.

Another question -- why do you feel the need to defend your team on a White Sox fan site? Enjoy your damn season, no reason to be defensive.

Being over the top with his emotions means to me that he's not showing anyone up.....nothing more...if you don't like his celebration, that's fine.....

If he wants to do cartwheels from 1st to 3d after a homerun like tonight, that would be fine with me......this game NEEDS more emotion as far as I'm concerned.......

I enjoy seeing other people's perspectives on sports........especially from teams in our division and in the pennant race......we have a forum for the Tigers where we do the same things you do...and when you win, we get frustrated as well.......and if there were any CWS fan that posted over there, I'd expect them to call us out if we said you guys sucked, couldn't hit and weren't for real..........

I'm all about the frustration when the team you're chasing wins in their final at bats two nights in a row.....but trying to diminish the accomplishment by somehow implying that they're playing over their head, and that they're going to come back down to earth, or they'll blow it in the playoffs is just ridiculous.....

Ok fine, go to another team's fan site to keep us in line from b****ing about your team. That makes a lot of sense. :huh

beach all you want......but if I'm not mistaken, this is public forum and the subject IS Tiger watch.....so, if you don't like being called out by a Tigers fan, just read the posts next time.......

Pudge is a jerk. I just got home and saw his walk-off and it mirrored Joe Carter after clinching the World Series. It was even a more dramatic trot than Scott Podsednik's after Game Two last year...and Scotty NEVER hits home runs.

Why is there a Tigers fan trying to defend his team on here? It's a massively biased board and I don't care what you say about the Tigers, we all still know we are better than you. Don't stress out here dude, go enjoy your amazing regular season on a Tigers board.

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:37 AM)
every team in the pennant race has issues and weaknesses and to be surprised if the team with the best record in baseball reaches the World Series is a little naive......

Not really, the Mariners set the all time wins record in 2001 and I would have been SHOCKED if they had won the pennant (which they didn't of course). Regular season record means nothing as of day 1 of the playoffs, it's all about PITCHING. And your pitching has been great, but Rogers and his 41 year old body is having it's usual 2nd half fall, Robertson is another guy who hasn't been a great 2nd half guy and hasn't been so far again, Maroth is still hurt, Miner is a rookie, and Verlander (who WILL be great for years) has never pitched this many innings, and is already tired. Bonderman is a legit stud, and Verlander will be, but the Tigers pitching staff is cause for concern in terms of the playoffs, even though the division is already yours. And no team with Todd Jones as their closer will win the World Series. Ever. Not a chance in hell.

Also...

Do you realize if A.J. Pierzynski did what Pudge did tonight he would be getting ripped to shreds by every fan base and media group? He might also get fined for inciting the crowd...

Why the double standard?

I like AJ.......I like the attitude he brings to the game.....I think it's unfortunate he gets the rap he does and yes it is a double standard......I like the play at home he made and the slap at the plate.......it's a guy being fired up, and it's unnatural to tell a guy to supress that because it's not how the game is played......

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)
Why is there a Tigers fan trying to defend his team on here? It's a massively biased board and I don't care what you say about the Tigers, we all still know we are better than you. Don't stress out here dude, go enjoy your amazing regular season on a Tigers board.

Please don't speak for me.

the only celebrating that really pisses me off is when they directly stare at the opponents bench or player

examples:

carlos zambrano after barry bonds lines out to him

zumaya after holding the sox scoreless

the craig monroe/pudge celebrations piss me off because it seems that they are unnecessarily emotional after beating the Indians, but they seemed more aimed towards the joy of the homerun, and not at the Indians/contenders

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)
If you don't think we can beat the Tigers in a playoff series I'd be suprised.

From what I've seen the Tigers are a superior team to the Sox when they are not facing off head to head. I seriously don't know what that even means but I'm not 100% sure the Sox are better than the Tigers this year, especially with the way the pitching is going this season.

Not really, the Mariners set the all time wins record in 2001 and I would have been SHOCKED if they had won the pennant (which they didn't of course). Regular season record means nothing as of day 1 of the playoffs, it's all about PITCHING. And your pitching has been great, but Rogers and his 41 year old body is having it's usual 2nd half fall, Robertson is another guy who hasn't been a great 2nd half guy and hasn't been so far again, Maroth is still hurt, Miner is a rookie, and Verlander (who WILL be great for years) has never pitched this many innings, and is already tired. Bonderman is a legit stud, and Verlander will be, but the Tigers pitching staff is cause for concern in terms of the playoffs, even though the division is already yours. And no team with Todd Jones as their closer will win the World Series. Ever. Not a chance in hell.

Records are 0-0 once the playoffs start, no doubt about it......but I still really like our pitching.....as you admitted, Bondo and JV are studs, Robertson has actually been good recently.....he's just been bitten with bad run support....he gave up 2 runs in TB his last start and that's been about par for the course.......Miner will not be in the playoff rotation and Rogers is a wild card......he's had a horendous 2d half so far.....but he did shut you guys down, and, after a bad 1st inning today, he shut down a pretty tough Cleveland team too.......Maroth will be back in a few weeks and before he went down, he was in the top 5 in ERA for the league........plus we have a great middle relief, a guy you might have heard of named Zumaya and our own personal rollercoaster of a closer Jones......who by the way is 13-13 in his last saves while giving up only 2 runs (one was a HR by Pujols)........while our starters have come back to earth a little, we still have the best ERA in the league and, like you said, that's the key in the playoffs......

Either way, it's going to be an interesting next 3 months!!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:04 AM)
From what I've seen the Tigers are a superior team to the Sox when they are not facing off head to head. I seriously don't know what that even means but I'm not 100% sure the Sox are better than the Tigers this year, especially with the way the pitching is going this season.

:lol: Fair enough. All I know is that if we face them in the playoffs we will win.

On a side note, does anybody believe me now that Vazquez is going to be great in the stretch run?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:04 AM)

At this time right now, they'd beat us in playoff series imo. That could change but at this time, my money would be on Detroit.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:02 AM)
the only celebrating that really pisses me off is when they directly stare at the opponents bench or player

examples:

carlos zambrano after barry bonds lines out to him

zumaya after holding the sox scoreless

the craig monroe/pudge celebrations piss me off because it seems that they are unnecessarily emotional after beating the Indians, but they seemed more aimed towards the joy of the homerun, and not at the Indians/contenders

agree zambrano is in a league of his own when it comes to being a complete asshole

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:07 AM)
On a side note, does anybody believe me now that Vazquez is going to be great in the stretch run?

Pitchers are streaky. Hopefully he's going to go on a hot streak, it wouldn't shock me. It would shock me more if he continued to get beat around every single start. He has the stuff to shut any team down if he can get it going. I'm not going to bank on him making a run and turning it around like Garland, but I will take mediocrity (and expect it).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)
At this time right now, they'd beat us in playoff series imo. That could change but at this time, my money would be on Detroit.

Disagree. They were lucky to take 2/3 our last meeting when the Sox were absolutely sucking ass. Now we're hitting and it appears the pitching is starting to come around. The Sox are a MUCH stronger team than DET if the Sox can start firing on all cylinders, which they've done the last week.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 09:46 PM)
Pudge please go do some more steroids. Are the Tigers still claiming to be a real team? No real team wins from behind at will. The question is how many Tiger fans had to sell their souls for this season to happen?

only one. and it was cheap. i just hope i paid enough. $5 seems like such a small amount these days. :7)

speaking of steroids, i wonder if zoom has ever had to take a test. i love the guy but he went from a mid-80s hurler when he was drafted a couple of years ago to 103 today. if i were ml baseball, i'd be checking him out every day just to be sure. hell, if i were dombrowski, ...

state of the tigers pitching:

bonderman should be fine the rest of the way. he's had a couple of weak games plus the meltdown last week, but in the meltdown game, he was absolutely dominant until unforgiveable defense got to his head at the metrodome. look for more of the dominance these next couple of months. 3.5 era the rest of the way.

verlander will start skipping turns. dombrowski seems ready to trade a cy young award in favor of protecting a young, live arm. good for dd. although it's only a sample of one, verlander was awesome on what, 10 days' rest?, after the asb. he's good for another half dozen starts and could still get to 20 wins. 2.5 era the rest of the way.

robertson will be fine. he's streaky but showed in his last outing (in which zumaya allowed both inherited baserunners to score, losing the game for nate) that his arm is in good shape. 3.5 era the rest of the way.

rogers is a wild card. he probably needs more rest than verlander at this point. it won't happen since that's not leyland's style. will he win another game the rest of the way? only if he skips starts, imho. 6.0 era the rest of the way.

miner is a placeholder. his job has been to get in five innings while keeping the tigers in the game. the tigers are blessed with above average middle relief this year. i wouldn't want to build a staff around grilli, colon, walker and ledezma but they've all been pitching better than any of us could have hoped for. this has made the miner miracle possible. 5.0 era the rest of the way.

maroth will be back. the question is, of course, was his start for real. maroth depends entirely on control and tight ball placement. his performance early on indicated that he's one of the rare ones to have figured it out, important since his fast ball clocks out in the high 80s. my $5 bucks says he comes back and picks up where he left off. 3.5 era once he comes back.

boy, is this a stupid post or what? :7)

As this whole conversation started last night, the Tigers better get a ring out of this. It's a massive choke, if they don't. You can't color it any other way. I know they haven't been in the playoffs since 1987, but you can't only hang your hat on a good regular season when you're playing this way.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 07:56 AM)
As this whole conversation started last night, the Tigers better get a ring out of this. It's a massive choke, if they don't. You can't color it any other way. I know they haven't been in the playoffs since 1987, but you can't only hang your hat on a good regular season when you're playing this way.

there's only one guarantee coming out of detroit this year: the lions will lead the nfl in wins.

hear me out...

red wings: president's cup, first round loss

pistons: best regular season record, punked by miami (only because labron wasn't ready to go the next step)

tigers: best in mlb, guaranteed to lose to sox/yankees/twinkees in al finals

lions: guaranteed best in nfl, guaranteed lose in first round

see? that's the magic in detroit this year. millen doesn't deserve such karma. :7)

QUOTE(flbob @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 07:21 AM)
there's only one guarantee coming out of detroit this year: the lions will lead the nfl in wins.

hear me out...

red wings: president's cup, first round loss

pistons: best regular season record, punked by miami (only because labron wasn't ready to go the next step)

tigers: best in mlb, guaranteed to lose to sox/yankees/twinkees in al finals

lions: guaranteed best in nfl, guaranteed lose in first round

see? that's the magic in detroit this year. millen doesn't deserve such karma. :7)

Ha, and monkeys will fly out of my butt. I will believe it when I see it.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 02:38 AM)
Disagree. They were lucky to take 2/3 our last meeting when the Sox were absolutely sucking ass. Now we're hitting and it appears the pitching is starting to come around. The Sox are a MUCH stronger team than DET if the Sox can start firing on all cylinders, which they've done the last week.

This is an argument White Sox fans seem to make all the time, when is your team going to start "firing on all cylinders"?

Besides, it's not like the Tigers are playing their best either, as has been noted many times our starting pitching has struggled the last couple of weeks, Granderson, Ordonez, Thames, and/or Shelton/Casey are not hitting nearly as well as they can, and yet our lead has stayed the same or grown over the entire time of their slumps.

I'm sure if we start "playing our best ball" and "firing on all cylinders" we'll be unbeatable, right? Seriously, I've said many times I agree Chicago is a very good team and that the race in the division will most likely come down to the final weeks of the season, but if you guys are really soooo much better than us, wouldn't you be a bit closer than 8 games out so late in the season? Maybe it's time to accept that we're both (and heck, Minnesota too) great teams?

Anyways, who needs Verlander, Wilfredo Ledezma went 5 and 2/3 allowing no runs, he did leave with two men on base though, so hopefully the relievers don't saddle him with a run or two.

Edited by loltrain

Anyways, who needs Verlander, Wilfredo Ledezma went 5 and 2/3 allowing no runs, he did leave with two men on base though, so hopefully the relievers don't saddle him with a run or two.

Nope......1-0 shutout.....9 game lead in the division......I'll take it cause we've got a monster stretch coming up.....