Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

Laird's mistake was on 2-0. His best chance was to turn and burn and hope he got a center cut fastball. He got a center cut fastball, took it for some reason, and was toast.

Zumaya in the 6th is probably the smart choice since it quelled a huge rally, but now your only through 6 and have used about 20 pitches out of his arm.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
I didn't realize you were allowed to bring in your best bullpen pitcher in the 6th inning. I'll send the memo to Ozzie next time Vazquez loads the bases in the 6th.

Well in that case, we'd be using Jenks in the 6th, and I wouldn't exactly want that to be happening. The Tigers are rare in the sense that their best bullpen pitcher isn't their closer, so they have the luxury to do whatever the hell they want with Zumaya.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
So does everyone on that team.

Worst BB:K ratio in the league.

Well I think that's as much a fact that they don't walk as it is that they do strikeout. They have no patience at the plate, which is why our pitching does well against them. They'll chase any crap you throw up there.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
Granderson at .273/.352 has an adequate average/on base split and a .352 OBP along with his pretty good speed and lefty bat isn't bad as a leadoff man, but damn he strikes out a lot.

His numbers would indicate he is miscast as a leadoff man. I think he has less than 10 steals. The Tigers still win. You could have Ron Kittle leading off, if you have the best pitching in the league, you will win a lot of games. I really am looking forward to a Pods-less White Sox team. People put way too much stock in his steals. His OBP is really misleading when you consider how many times he gets himself out on the bases. Its also a good thing he scored on Konerko's double today. He actually pulled up at second on the play, and had to take off again. I don't find Pods to be a very cerebral player.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
Well I think that's as much a fact that they don't walk as it is that they do strikeout. They have no patience at the plate, which is why our pitching does well against them. They'll chase any crap you throw up there.

3rd least walks

6th most K's

Yup.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
His numbers would indicate he is miscast as a leadoff man. I think he has less than 10 steals. The Tigers still win. You could have Ron Kittle leading off, if you have the best pitching in the league, you will win a lot of games. I really am looking forward to a Pods-less White Sox team. People put way too much stock in his steals. His OBP is really misleading when you consider how many times he gets himself out on the bases. Its also a good thing he scored on Konerko's double today. He actually pulled up at second on the play, and had to take off again. I don't find Pods to be a very cerebral player.

I agree with you, Granderson is probably an average leadoff hitter overall, but watching him he seems more like a 6 hitter or so. People tend to overrate speed in the leadoff spot too, I'd rather have a guy with a .400 on base and below average speed than some guy with a .350 OBP that steals bases leading off.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
Michael Young is a damn professional hitter.

Yeah he made an out but he is just so damn solid up there.

Hopefully the Rangers can knock around the rest of the Tigers pen.

Zumaya was fortunate there were 2 strikes and Young had a shortened up swing, or that pitch might have ended up in the RF bleachers. Rodney in the 8th, Jones in the 9th.....hopefully Texas keeps it at 4 and figures out a way to get a couple runs.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
Zumaya was fortunate there were 2 strikes and Young had a shortened up swing, or that pitch might have ended up in the RF bleachers. Rodney in the 8th, Jones in the 9th.....hopefully Texas keeps it at 4 and figures out a way to get a couple runs.

That is going to be tough...have to do it this inning. Heart of the order coming up.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
Second Half WHIP's (through tonight)

Contreras: 1.23

Buehrle: 1.50

Garland: 1.37

Garcia: 1.33

Vazquez: 1.37

Rogers: 1.50

What about ERA?? Because it's more important how many runs you give up than it is baserunners you allow, last I checked.

Rogers is usually a 2nd half bum though, and he didn't last very long tonight.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about ERA?? Because it's more important how many runs you give up than it is baserunners you allow, last I checked.

Rogers is usually a 2nd half bum though, and he didn't last very long tonight.

I was responding to Dick's post about wishing some of our starters being like Rogers in the second half.

Contreras got hit hard in the third inning yesterday. If Zumaya was in our pen, he would not have come in. Because it was the sixth, Rogers was bailed out by his pen and smart manager.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 09:07 PM)
I was responding to Dick's post about wishing some of our starters being like Rogers in the second half.

Contreras got hit hard in the third inning yesterday. If Zumaya was in our pen, he would not have come in. Because it was the sixth, Rogers was bailed out by his pen and smart manager.

Ahhh ok, fair enough. It was Rogers first win since the break tonight, and if his pen hadn't saved him, his start against us last Saturday would still be his only good one since the ASG.

Rogers had an excellent start against Cleveland as well. (gave up 3 in the first, then threw 6 shutout)

He has faced three tough offenses in a row now and pitched pretty well.

Granderson has slumped for the last month or so, mostly because pitchers have adjusted to him and are throwing him a steady diet of stuff low and outside.

As for the k's/bbs...well yeah that is definitely our teams biggest weakness, I don't really care about striking out that much, but not drawing any walks is a big problem.