Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
Anything but another "We can buy the world series, nyah nyah" Subway series.

A subway series won't happen. You guys let me know who makes the world series though as the playoffs won't exist to me.

Edited by Rowand44

Kansas City scores two (so far) in the top of the 10th inning. Unbelievable.

Entering the series tied, all Detroit needed was a combination of one victory from them and one loss from Minnesota to win the division. We won the first two against Min, Det lost their first two. Then on the day which either a White Sox/Det winner ensures victory, THEY f***ING BLOW IT.

You can pencil in atleast one victory for Santana. No way Oakland is defeating him twice at the dome when even one loss is a once-a-year occurence.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
Twins Division Champions 2006. And I'm sure several more times beyond that.

We're sure not defeating them with this rotation of ours.

We did last year. I believe you mean that we won't defeat them with this rotation pitching way below career norms like this year.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
We did last year. I believe you mean that we won't defeat them with this rotation pitching way below career norms like this year.

I don't believe of the 5 pitchers currently in our rotation, ALL FIVE will rebound.

Buehrle's struggles worry me. Contreras' back worries me. It could be argued last season was really the abberation for Garland. Vazquez, even with his last season surge, will give you outtings such as todays. Even McCarthy's success isn't guaranteed.

Yet, teams within our division are growing stronger. Detroit's pitching, even if it were to regress, has Miller/Sanchez available in the wings. Minnesota has something we'll never have -- Liriano. And a contributing minor league system. If they're winning the last month+ without him, just imagine him in the rotation. Cleveland is always tough, and you reasonably expect new management in Kansas City to turn things around.

I'm not confident for 2007, I'll be honest. If they can't do it next year, you can forget about winning anytime soon. We'll have effeciently wasted our window of opportunity. One which I already believe may have closed.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
The tigers will not have a lead on the yankees the entire series. Book it, they are very lucky to be in the playoffs.

I don't know how you can "book" that. Not even ONE lead the entire series?

Hell, if you believe Tigers are lucky to be in the playoffs, you should feel embarrassed (as I do) that our ballclub couldn't take advantage.

I was browsing opponents message boards last season and their fans seemed to be making similar statements towards us. ALDS is a short series -- ask Beane sometime about that. Anything can happen.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
Wasted? Kenny basically came out and said we have 2005-2007 to make some noise, and in that time, we have something NO OTHER team has, a Championship. Wasted?

This club won 90 games this season, and Williams has shown me nothing to think that he will not improve this club this off season.

I don't believe one-and-done was what Williams envisioned. If it were, why did he make the trades he did following last seasons championship?

For all the talent we supposedly have, and that 2005-2007 period Williams has acknowledged, I EXPECT playoff appearances at the least. Every damn year. You may call it unrealistic, but withholding the vaunted pitching staff and improving the offense should about guarantee success. Fair or not, that's how I feel. We failed this season. For points I previously pointed out, I'm not confident for next season either.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
LOL. What a choke job by the Tigers. They are gonna get crushed in the playoffs

they really are pathetic. I see nothing to suggest that they will be any different in the playoffs than they were the last month of the season. Even the Sox showed signs of rejuvination last season once they clinched. The Tigers do have clutch hitting, but with no pitching, they are 3 and done.

I'll address everyone of your points --

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
I just have a hard time listening to your b****ing when you cherry pick your arguments. You slurp the Tigers for having Miller/Sanchez in the wings, yet unproven to say the least.

If you were to believe regression for Detroit's rotation is possible, as I've heard people mention --and I agree is legitimate -- they have two capable prospects available. There's no guarantee Miller or Sanchez can immediately produce, yes. Just considering their peripherals and pure stuff, they hold talent. Certaintly better than anyone currently in our minor league system. And I guarantee Leyland wouldn't dick around like Guillen if one of his starters begins to tail off.

You continue to be all over Liriano's jock, yet leave out the very serious injury concerns that surround him. How come?

Because from reports, his "serious" injury is one which doesn't require surgery. Twins are merely playing safe and limiting throwing rather than risking the future of their franchise. Could it be false? Yes. I'm just going under the assumption he'll be ready next season until news of the contrary is given.

Not sure what you saw from Cleveland this season to think they are "always tough" If your pissed with our 90-72 record, you should think the Tribes record is a joke. And yay Royals....

It's not hard to cherry pick....

Tough against us. Cleveland's troubles were recognized by many people prior to this season. Lose several key components within your bullpen, and a very dependable pitcher, it's difficult to expect consistency. Early injuries from Miller, Betancourt, Sabathia set them back further.

Royals aren't exactly a pushover. Ask Detroit. They current general manager Dayton Moore can certaintly be expected to improve upon Baird's mess. Moore worked around the best in Atlanta, and I wouldn't put it past him to slowly put together a respectable team.