Sox Acquire Alomar for Lamura, Widger DFA'd

Guest JimH

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)
disagree

CERA over 6, Dodgers 1-12 record when he starts, huge health risk, most of his offensive production came at the beginning of the season much like Widger. What exactly are you disagreeing with?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
CERA over 6, Dodgers 1-12 record when he starts, huge health risk, most of his offensive production came at the beginning of the season much like Widger. What exactly are you disagreeing with?

OVERALL hitting stats. Fielding %. Passed balls. errors. leadership

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)
OVERALL hitting stats. errors. leadership

Yes, because when grading a catcher you go by errors. The guy hasn't even started a game since June 26, that's about a month so the offensive production bullspiff is right out the window. If you're looking for leadership then wait until the Dodgers release him like they were rumored to have been thinking about and make him a god damn coach.

Does Alomar get people to pitch inside? Because that'd be great.

Hopefully Contreras and he wind up getting along VERY quickly, because otherwise Santana is going to blow us out of the water on Tuesday. I'd rather start AJ in that game and let Sandy catch Buehrle on Wednesday since it wouldn't be the first time, but we know that's not going to happen.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
Yes, because when grading a catcher you go by errors. The guy hasn't even started a game since June 26, that's about a month so the offensive production bullspiff is right out the window. If you're looking for leadership then wait until the Dodgers release him like they were rumored to have been thinking about and make him a god damn coach.

The odds are we will need a new AAA coach pretty darn soon, as soon as someone gets smart and hires Razor in the big leagues.

It's on the White Sox site, and Williams is quoted as saying his coaching staff has been after him to acquire Alomar for the last month or so.

So the coaches want Alomar, that means there was something they didn't like about Widger's preparation routine with the pitchers.

On the surface it's not much of an upgrade but I think they traded for their next bench coach as much as a backup catcher.

I for one don't care about offense from our backup Catcher, I want someone who can play some D! And Alomar can't. Horrible move trading someone with any major league talent for Alomar, IMO. We could have gotten a better back up catcher for LaMura alone.

The skinny on LaMura:

A super nice guy, with a really hot girlfriend (in the minors, that matters ;) ). He has excellent stuff that could get him to the big leagues one day. That said, he is 25 and in his 3rd year at AA. Losing a pitcher like B.J. is not a big loss to an organization. His ceiling is probably comparable to Gary Majewski. Great character guy but not a real high ceiling.

What has me scratching my head is why Sandy Alomar? What can he bring to the table at this point in his career? Hell, the Sox could have picked up Sal Fasano, who was DFA'd by the Phillies yesterday, for practically nothing. He'd give the Sox better D and a little power. Seems like a strange move to me. What's next? Carl Everett again???

I think we are at the "agree to disagree" point in terms of liking or not liking this move.

Personally I think it's a lateral at best although one poster said it best, if the White Sox pitchers are happy, then I'm happy.

This is a perfect example of all of us on a message board not knowing the whole story of what goes on in the clubhouse and behind the scenes.

I was hoping for a clear upgrade though ... Blanco would've helped shut down the running game (Alomar can't do that at all) and Javy Lopez would've helped with his offense, he can hit. However, it is easy for me to say that on a message board, because I have no firm info that either were available.

All we can do is hope for the best.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
So here's my only question...can Alomar catch a forkball in the dirt? Because if he can't, we're in real trouble on Tuesday.

Probably not, which is why Contreras will be in trouble with runners in scoring position. Opposing teams won't have to worry much about a forkball.

My only question is how can Everett not believe in dinosaurs when Sandy Alomar is walking around? He looks and moves around every bit his age, unlike Julio Franco.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

What has me scratching my head is why Sandy Alomar? What can he bring to the table at this point in his career? Hell, the Sox could have picked up Sal Fasano, who was DFA'd by the Phillies yesterday, for practically nothing. He'd give the Sox better D and a little power. Seems like a strange move to me.

Fair question. My guess is, he knows the Sox pitching staff, fits well in the clubhouse, knows the American League really well. Williams said he catered to the coaching staff on this move so that tells me a lot of intangibles came into play.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
Personally I think it's a lateral at best although one poster said it best, if the White Sox pitchers are happy, then I'm happy.

This is a perfect example of all of us on a message board not knowing the whole story of what goes on in the clubhouse and behind the scenes.

I do totally agree with this sentiment. On the surface we can look at the tradeoff of talent between Widger and Alomar and give our opinions on that but if this move is something the coaching staff and pitchers really wanted and have been clammering for then I really don't mind it.

As long as the pitchers feel more comfortable in Alomar's abilities than Widgers, the move is good. Similar situation when we had Olivo and Alomar. Buehrle would much rather pitch to Alomar even though Olivo was superior defensively and offensively. Trust in Sandy like the pitchers do.

The skinny on LaMura:

A super nice guy, with a really hot girlfriend (in the minors, that matters ;) ). He has excellent stuff that could get him to the big leagues one day. That said, he is 25 and in his 3rd year at AA. Losing a pitcher like B.J. is not a big loss to an organization. His ceiling is probably comparable to Gary Majewski. Great character guy but not a real high ceiling.

What has me scratching my head is why Sandy Alomar? What can he bring to the table at this point in his career? Hell, the Sox could have picked up Sal Fasano, who was DFA'd by the Phillies yesterday, for practically nothing. He'd give the Sox better D and a little power. Seems like a strange move to me. What's next? Carl Everett again???

Comparable to Gary Majewski you say? Majewski would look real good in this bullpen we have. Lets say Lamura becomes a lot like Majewski in 5 years, would you trade him for Alomar?

QUOTE(CySox @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
Comparable to Gary Majewski you say? Majewski would look real good in this bullpen we have. Lets say Lamura becomes a lot like Majewski in 5 years, would you trade him for Alomar?

Note I said his ceiling is comparable to Gary Majewski. Minor League relievers are a dime a dozen to a point. Losing such a player is not a huge deal. Some will work out. Some won't.