Sox Acquire Alomar for Lamura, Widger DFA'd

Guest JimH

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
Ya, it was a later Sunday trade because I remember coming home for our families Sunday night dinner (we'd always have dinner during baseball season by bbq'in and watching Sunday night baseball with my dad and grandpa) and being absolutely shocked that we made the move.

I also remember how pumped up I got that season after he made his first start (man did he have dominating stuff).

Shows what I know, Cheat says Saturday so I'm guessing he looked it up. I swear it was a Sunday, but maybe I'm confusing trades or something

Freddy was acquired after a Sunday afternoon White Sox/Cubs game where we beat Maddux and Todd Hollandsworth broke his foot. I remember being at the game and hearing the news when we got in the car to leave the Cell. It was announced very shortly after the game, so it was probably around 4:30-5:00 ish.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes sense to look at who's out of the race. Regarding Laird ... Texas isn't out of the race and I doubt they'd trade for prospects and weaken their major league team.

So for me, I look at the teams that are clearly out of it and I always eliminate KC because they haven't made a trade with them in almost 20 years.

Personally I do not see Sandy Alomar being brought in, he is 40 and beat up and although it's a possibility because I believe he will be brought back into the organization at some point, I don't see this being the move.

Baltimore, Tampa, Washington, possibly the Cubs, Florida, Philadelphia come to mind.

Javy Lopez of Baltimore jumps out, I don't think KW is concerned about the money at this point. What is the status of Lopez's contract, is he a FA after this season?

Blanco of the Cubs stands out, he is nothing offensively but he'd deter the running game. Then again, we're talking the Cubs and Sox trading with one another ... doesn't happen often.

Philly has Lieberthal but he's all beat up and doesn't know the league.

Florida with Olivo ... possible but I doubt it. Too much past with the White Sox, things they didn't like.

Washington ... not much there.

Tampa ... they've got Toby Hall, Josh Paul, and Dionar Navarro. Maybe with Navarro they'll trade Hall but Hall is a front line catcher.

I hope it's not Alomar but certainly he's available. I see KW trying to upgrade though. Lopez is clearly an upgrade with the bat but he's been functioning as DH. Blanco is a clear upgrade in terms of deterring the running game.

They have been talking trade with the Orioles off and on so I see Lopez as a strong possibility despite that big contract. Blanco makes a lot of sense too and he knows the division really well. I would guess it's one of these two guys.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
I don't even think its an upgrade. Alomar is done. What's with KW's fetish of acquiring guys named Alomar during the season? Sandy has hit alright this season with no power, but he always tails off, and you might as well have Carlton Fisk's statue behind the plate.

He is hitting .323 this year including a .500 spot against lefties. I could care less if he is 70, if he can put the ball in play fairly once and a while and call a decent game, he is an upgrade over widger.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
He is hitting .323 this year including a .500 spot against lefties. I could care less if he is 70, if he can put the ball in play fairly once and a while and call a decent game, he is an upgrade over widger.

Yeah, we just went from a terrible back-up to a very bad back-up. One of the most underrated players on the Tigers this year has been Vance Wilson. He's had a ton of big hits for them, and he calls a very good game. M. Redmond has also been a tremendous back-up for the Twins this year.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)

His game calling is very overrated. He is no better defensively than Widger, and offensively he will not continue hitting .323. He will hit .220-.240 with the Sox with little to no power, and the guy doesn't walk at all. He's brutal at this point in his career.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
His game calling is very overrated. He is no better defensively than Widger, and offensively he will not continue hitting .323. He will hit .220-.240 with the Sox with little to no power, and the guy doesn't walk at all. He's brutal at this point in his career.

Seriously, what was really available from a catchers perspective that wouldnt cost a lot. Do you really want to blow any quality prospects that can get us something on a fishing backup catcher. If he hits .220 with no power, he is still an upgrade over Widger.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)

One positive is that he's good at making contact. That could help against the Twins lefties, etc. Before freaking out about how awful Alomar is, we should all remember how terrible Widger was playing. However, I will be livid if we gave up anyone decent.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
Yeah, we just went from a terrible back-up to a very bad back-up. One of the most underrated players on the Tigers this year has been Vance Wilson. He's had a ton of big hits for them, and he calls a very good game. M. Redmond has also been a tremendous back-up for the Twins this year.

We went into this year with a 36 year old backup catcher one year removed from the softball league. If backup catcher was such a worry KW would of made a move. A certain Molina brother was sitting out there for all to be seen and couldnt find a team until the Jays picked him up late in the FA signing period. That is the time when you get a quality backup guy. Not now. Not in the middle of the season.

We got something, be happy. There were a lot of people pining for Stewart who isnt even a major leaguer to be called up.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
Seriously, what was really available from a catchers perspective that wouldnt cost a lot. Do you really want to blow any quality prospects that can get us something on a fishing backup catcher. If he hits .220 with no power, he is still an upgrade over Widger.

I actually think I was being generous with the .220-.240 prediction. At least Widger may run into one once in a while and hit it over the wall. I'm not going to get too upset with this, it is just the back-up catcher, but keep in mind, there's an excellent chance Sandy is going to go on the DL sometime as well. I think the Sox would have been far better served just calling up Stewart. He's a better player than SA Jr. at this point.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
SA Jr. has a 6.09 CERA this year :P

I mentioned this earlier, but the Dodgers were 1-12 in games he started. I've seen him try to throw some guys out on the bases this year, and he was 2 hopping the ball to 2nd base.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
I actually think I was being generous with the .220-.240 prediction. At least Widger may run into one once in a while and hit it over the wall. I'm not going to get too upset with this, it is just the back-up catcher, but keep in mind, there's an excellent chance Sandy is going to go on the DL sometime as well. I think the Sox would have been far better served just calling up Stewart. He's a better player than SA Jr. at this point.

I will give you Stewarts defense, but considering that he has never been up into the majors. Are you really so upset that you are wishing to put a AAA Rook into a tooth and nail division/wild card race. They got someone who wont fold under pressure. He is battled tested, Stewart hasnt even proven yet he can hit major league pitching. And you want to put him up against Liriano, Rodgers, CC and Santana. I will take this year with Alomar, and then take my chances next year with Stewart so he can grow into the position.