Sox Acquire Alomar for Lamura, Widger DFA'd

Guest JimH

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
Also, might as well throw this in here, but apparently Levine interviewed Kenny today and Levine asked him if there is a chance that on August 1st we'd be talking about Linebrink, Soriano, or Hernandez. Kenny responded to that by saying "I'm looking for something bigger than that".

Hernandez, as in Livan? I think the two possible bigger acquisitions would be Tejada or Crawford.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
I am not sure, but I was thinking Roberto.

Ah yes, that would make a lot more sense. For some reason, I've felt all year that we'd end up with either Roberto or Torres in our bullpen. I also think that the only way KW will trade McCarthy is if it's for a player with years remaining on their contract (Tejada, Crawford, Willis, M. Cabrera).

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
Sal Fasano was on the DL for Philly and was DFA'd yesterday. He can hit an occassional bomb. Maybe KW is working on a bigger deal with big fat Sal thrown in.

He looks like the guy that Wild Thing K'd at the end of the game in "Major League". The Chicago native has bad knees, FWIW. And I'm with you...please no Sandy Alomar. He needs a cut-off man when someone tries to steal against him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
He looks like the guy that Wild Thing K'd at the end of the game in "Major League". The Chicago native has bad knees, FWIW. And I'm with you...please no Sandy Alomar. He needs a cut-off man when someone tries to steal against him.

I think the guy Wild Thing fanned actually was ex-White Sox Pete Vuckovich. And they do look a lot a like, although Vuckovich's face could hold a week of rain.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
Gerald Laird would be a fabulous back up, he is a damn good hitter.

Why would Texas get rid of him. With everything going on between the teams, I can't imagine us trading with them. Also, from what I've heard in the past, the Rangers have asked for a lot in return for Laird.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
Why would Texas get rid of him. With everything going on between the teams, I can't imagine us trading with them. Also, from what I've heard in the past, the Rangers have asked for a lot in return for Laird.

Laird was pretty highly touted. He went to high school out my way (same school Ian Kennedy and Crosby and a few others went to) and there is no way the Rangers are going to move him for anything but pretty well thought of prospects.

Laird would start for a lot of teams, imo.

Widger was a class guy. I like many was frustrated with his performance this year. He is an older player who gave us one hell of a year of lightning in a bottle. Thanks for 2005.

For them to DFA Widger they have to have a trade just about wrapped up. There is no way that they would do this without a safety net. Hell Ozzie barely likes to use one of the catchers to pinch hit due to possibly having problems with no backup catcher.

So who hits lefties good and calls a good game. Thats pretty much what we are looking for.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Wasn't Freddy Garcia traded for at like 5:05 or 6:05 on a Sunday?

Ya, it was a later Sunday trade because I remember coming home for our families Sunday night dinner (we'd always have dinner during baseball season by bbq'in and watching Sunday night baseball with my dad and grandpa) and being absolutely shocked that we made the move.

I also remember how pumped up I got that season after he made his first start (man did he have dominating stuff).

Shows what I know, Cheat says Saturday so I'm guessing he looked it up. I swear it was a Sunday, but maybe I'm confusing trades or something

i'll say this about Widgie.

His three-run jack against Randy Johnson in that Sunday game when we hit four homers in one inning was one of the biggest hits of last August.

he helped last season.

A bunch.

But last season is OVAH.

we need to keep fine-tuning and I'm confident Kenny Williams will find us somebody to love.