Sox Acquire Alomar for Lamura, Widger DFA'd

Guest JimH

I wonder if something like Lopez and a reliever would be in order. I think if you took Lopez you could get Hawkins for them and if we were willing to accept most of the salaries wouldn't have to give up much in return.

I am thinking the same thing Jason.

Although I do believe the Orioles would be quite happy to get anything for Lopez.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White Sox fans should make a sit-com about Widge and Politte. It could be like the Odd Couple: two guys hard on their luck move in together and tough out the world. I could definitely see Cliff being the neat guy and Widger being the messy one.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
I am thinking the same thing Jason.

Although I do believe the Orioles would be quite happy to get anything for Lopez.

It appears that Stewart is the backup plan so this should add to what Jim is saying. Working on a writeup right now.

Rumor: Widger Designated For Assignment

By Jason Gage

Soxtalk.com has learned that backup catcher Chris Widger was designated for assignment following Sunday’s game against the Texas Rangers. Widger struggled behind the plate and at the plate for the club in 06, batting .184 in 27 games while posting a 5.36 CERA (Catchers ERA).

It is unclear who will replace Widger, but our sources say that Ken Williams is working on bringing in a veteran catcher. Ozzie Guillen backed up these sources in his post game press conference by stating that GM Ken Williams was working on adding a bat and a veteran catcher.

If the trade or signing Williams is working on fails to be completed, Chris Stewart would be called up from AAA Charlotte. Stewart, 24, is batting .266 with 3 HR and 22 RBI in 71 games with the Knights and would not be considered a major offensive upgrade to Widger. However, Stewart is the most advanced signal caller in the system and possesses a strong arm and rates out as an above average defensive catcher.

Please check back with Soxtalk.com as we will be updating this story as we find out more.

QUOTE(Young Gun @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
So all indications are pointing towards Stewart?

Stewart is plan B from what I know. He's not getting called up unless plan A doesn't come through (and for all I know there is a Plan B or C ahead of Stewart as well in terms of major league options).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
It appears that Stewart is the backup plan so this should add to what Jim is saying. Working on a writeup right now.

Rumor: Widger Designated For Assignment

By Jason Gage

Soxtalk.com has learned that backup catcher Chris Widger was designated for assignment following Sunday’s game against the Texas Rangers. Widger struggled behind the plate and at the plate for the club in 06, batting .184 in 27 games while posting a 5.36 CERA (Catchers ERA).

It is unclear who will replace Widger, but our sources say that Ken Williams is working on bringing in a veteran catcher. Ozzie Guillen backed up these sources in his post game press conference by stating that GM Ken Williams was working on adding a bat and a veteran catcher.

If the trade or signing Williams is working on fails to be completed, Chris Stewart would be called up from AAA Charlotte. Stewart, 24, is batting .266 with 3 HR and 22 RBI in 71 games with the Knights and would not be considered a major offensive upgrade to Widger. However, Stewart is the most advanced signal caller in the system and possesses a strong arm and rates out as an above average defensive catcher.

Please check back with Soxtalk.com as we will be updating this story as we find out more.

Jason, how do you find the catchers ERA?

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
Just thinking out loud... Toby Hall is not playing for the Dodgers, and has expressed an interest in a trade to get more playing time. He won't get more playing time here, but he could be a very capable backup.

Other possibilites are:

Josa Molina

Jason Larue

Sandy Alomar Jr.

Javy Lopez

Mike Piazza

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
Other possibilites are:

Josa Molina

Jason Larue

Sandy Alomar Jr.

Javy Lopez

Mike Piazza

I doubt Piazza would accept a true backup role, and considering his defense, I don't want him as a backup. Our staff is already easy enough to run on.

QUOTE(Young Gun @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
Honestly, I don't see how that would work. Wouldn't Lopez want to start?

And the fact that he's making 8.5 million this year, which would probably be around what, 3 mil for the rest of the year? I wouldn't give that to a backup.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
I also talked to BHAM last night, regarding Stew, actually. Says he's a good character guy and he likes his game calling. His PB numbers in Charlotte can be overlooked, because of Haeger.

I thought I remember hearing somewhere that Stewart does an excellent job handling Haeger's knuckler. Can anyone shed more light on how well he handles Haeger?

Also, could it be that a move is in the works that would involve Haeger coming up resulting in Widger being DFA'd and Stewart coming up as Haeger's caddy?