Sox Acquire Alomar for Lamura, Widger DFA'd

Guest JimH

QUOTE(Young Gun @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Yup, I thought about Alomar as well.

Please no Alomar. He's been washed up for a couple of years. He is perhaps the most overrated game caller of all time. I think when he was in his prime on the Indians his CERA was almost a run above the back-ups almost every season. I do think its amazing he outlasted his brother. You could have made a lot of money betting on that.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
I do think that Sandy would be an awesome fit with the team....um.....for the third time. He's a good guy, and he doesn't out and out suck, which is a positive.

He's also getting up their in age and would be almost as productive as Widger. Is that saying anything?

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
And the fact that he's making 8.5 million this year, which would probably be around what, 3 mil for the rest of the year? I wouldn't give that to a backup.

But if that means they could get Cabrerra or Hawkins thrown into the mix and Kenny wants those guys I could see it working.

I really doubt Chuck comes back up. Stew does do a pretty good job, but if you've got a guy throwing like 80% knucklers, the passed balls stick out....let me see how many he has.

He IS our best defensive catcher in the system that can hit a ball at all.

QUOTE(2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
I was watching baseball tonite and theres a rumor the sox may be getting joe boroski, you think theres any possibility that we get Olivo back in that trade??

I always liked Olivo. Not a good game caller, but still....

I doubt the Marlins would trade him unless they got something pretty good in return.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
I really doubt Chuck comes back up. Stew does do a pretty good job, but if you've got a guy throwing like 80% knucklers, the passed balls stick out....let me see how many he has.

If he's on the team next year, and if Haeger somehow is in the rotation, you never know with injury and poor performance, I wouldn't be surprised if Stewart isn't his personal catcher. Not the greatest job in the world, but I'm sure Stewart would be thrilled.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Also, could it be that a move is in the works that would involve Haeger coming up resulting in Widger being DFA'd and Stewart coming up as Haeger's caddy?

I could envision a scenario, albeit unlikely, where a starter is traded and Haegar provides temporary relief in the rotation. This is only until McCarthy gradually builds up a pitch count. Whether that regimen be from Charlotte, out of the bullpen, or established through spot starts with Haegar.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
If he's on the team next year, and if Haeger somehow is in the rotation, you never know with injury and poor performance, I wouldn't be surprised if Stewart isn't his personal catcher. Not the greatest job in the world, but I'm sure Stewart would be thrilled.

Works well enough for Mirabelli.

Oh, and from a couple posts earlier, Olivo stands right beside Rowand as guys who won't be Sox this year.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
I thought I remember hearing somewhere that Stewart does an excellent job handling Haeger's knuckler. Can anyone shed more light on how well he handles Haeger?

Also, could it be that a move is in the works that would involve Haeger coming up resulting in Widger being DFA'd and Stewart coming up as Haeger's caddy?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)

The last time I checked, Stewart had only caught 1 Haeger start this season. Matos has been him primary catcher.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
I could envision a scenario, albeit unlikely, where a starter is traded and Haegar provides temporary relief in the rotation. This is only until McCarthy gradually builds up a pitch count. Whether that regimen be from Charlotte, out of the bullpen, or established through spot starts with Haegar.

And the nice thing with Haegar is he can throw a ton of pitches if need be. Too bad he's not a lefty, or he'd be a total freak of nature. :P

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
The last time I checked, Stewart had only caught 1 Haeger start this season. Matos has been him primary catcher.

Yeah, I realized that. Stew did catch him when Matos went on the DL earlier, but then again, I don't look for Matos in the Charlotte boxes. :)

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
Works well enough for Mirabelli.

Oh, and from a couple posts earlier, Olivo stands right beside Rowand as guys who won't be Sox this year.

I agree. I also think Javy Lopez ain't happening either. There just isn't enough playing time to justify taking the contract.

Also, might as well throw this in here, but apparently Levine interviewed Kenny today and Levine asked him if there is a chance that on August 1st we'd be talking about Linebrink, Soriano, or Hernandez. Kenny responded to that by saying "I'm looking for something bigger than that".

I guess thats no surprise since Kenny is always looking to make the big move, but isn't just going to make a big move cause if that isn't out there he'll make the small one or the best one he can.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
I agree. I also think Javy Lopez ain't happening either. There just isn't enough playing time to justify taking the contract.

Jason had a good point earlier that if it meant the Orioles would also send someone like Cabrera, it might be worth it. Still, I don't see it happening.

Also, might as well throw this in here, but apparently Levine interviewed Kenny today and Levine asked him if there is a chance that on August 1st we'd be talking about Linebrink, Soriano, or Hernandez. Kenny responded to that by saying "I'm looking for something bigger than that".

I guess thats no surprise since Kenny is always looking to make the big move, but isn't just going to make a big move cause if that isn't out there he'll make the small one or the best one he can.

JASON SCHMIDT!!!!???? DONTRELLE WILLIS!!!!!!!?????

Javy Lopez just returned to play yesterday after missing about 5 games. He's hitting .308 vs LHP on the season and .312 over the past 3 seasons.

QUOTE(CySox @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
JASON SCHMIDT!!!!???? DONTRELLE WILLIS!!!!!!!?????

I don't think Schmidt is getting dealt, but you can bet your butt he was trying hard for Dontrell. I have no idea what the talks were in terms of players discussed but Kenny wanted him pretty bad.