• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox Acquire Alomar Jr., Designate Widger for Assignment

By Jason Gage

Soxtalk.com

Soxtalk.com has learned that backup catcher Chris Widger was designated for assignment following Sunday’s game against the Texas Rangers. Chris Rongey of the Score has reported that the White Sox have acquired backup catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. from the Los Angeles Dodgers to replace Widger.

A former rookie of the year and three time all star, Alomar, saw his playing time drop in LA following the acquisition of Toby Hall and Mark Hendrickson. He has spent parts of 4 seasons with the Sox, most recently in 04 and is a career .274 hitter over his 18 year MLB career.

Alomar Jr. may not be the flashy name people expected, but he hits LHP better than Pierzynski (or Widger) and will be able to provide a veteran presence in the clubhouse. He was batting .323 with 9 RBI in 27 games and is batting .500 off lefties (9 for 18).

After playing a key role off the bench in 05, Widger struggled behind and at the plate for the club in 06, batting .184 in 27 games while posting a 5.36 CERA (Catchers ERA). While this move was primarily made to upgrade the club's lineup against LHP, it will also serve as an attempt to shake up the roster and break up the comfort level of the Sox.

It is unclear who the White Sox traded to the Dodgers, but Soxtalk.com will have its sister site FutureSox.com give information on the prospect(s) involved as soon as the details of the trade are released.

I remember saying Sandy a few weeks ago and I like this move. He's familiar with the clubhouse, calls a decent game and is a pretty good hitter against lefties.

Of course he isn't that good defensively. Oh and I'm sure he won't cost us much prospect wise.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
I don't even think its an upgrade. Alomar is done. What's with KW's fetish of acquiring guys named Alomar during the season? Sandy has hit alright this season with no power, but he always tails off, and you might as well have Carlton Fisk's statue behind the plate.

Yep, I agree it's not really an upgrade. Oh well...lets hope this isn't the only move we make.