Sox Acquire Alomar for Lamura, Widger DFA'd

Guest JimH

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
Why don't the Sox hit someone in the ribs? Seriously, stop aiming for the legs, and just flat out hit the guy. I hate this crap about throwing behind a player. No, they hit you intentionally and more than once, so you have to get someone right in the rubs and not let it go.

--

Because that is how you are taught to hit someone. You can hit a person without causing a lot of damage. One method is to throw behind a hitter, and let him back into it. That is what garland did. Thats what I did in college also. I was told to aim at the guys ass, and he would back into it. The ball would rise a bit, and you would get something mid rib level. The only problem with this today, is everyone in the world knew Kinsler was going to get decked. He just froze and didnt move. If Ozzie didnt broadcast it as much, Kinsler probably would of did the natural thing and would back away. Maybe he threw it too far behind him. But the plan was the right one, he jut didnt get it done. Its not as easy as you think to plunk someone intentionally. Which is funny considering the shear amount of time I did it accidentially.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
Jon Garland never shows enthusiasm on the mound. It's been something that's frustrated a lot of Sox fans over the year. Judging by where the two pitches ended up, there's no doubt that Garland tried his best to hit Kinsler in the leg.

I know that. I just meant it looked like less than usual.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
Ok, back to the Alomar deal, I don't feel like going through 23 pages of crap... so, does anyone think that this move is made to have SA retire here and be a coach next season for the Sox? I think that is what this move sets up. I hope so, because SA is a damn fine catcher and a good baseball guy as well.

Maybe the plan is for him to replace Tim Raines who apparently will be out of the organization following the year. I know the Sox have long talked to him about having him on the staff. Of course I don't think we would have made the move just so we have a coach next year, I also think it was made because they think it shakes up the clubhouse and improves the lineup against LHP.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:39 AM)
Maybe the plan is for him to replace Tim Raines who apparently will be out of the organization following the year. I know the Sox have long talked to him about having him on the staff. Of course I don't think we would have made the move just so we have a coach next year, I also think it was made because they think it shakes up the clubhouse and improves the lineup against LHP.

Oh, I agree that it wasn't solely for that reason (the coaching next season) but it's good to have a guy like SA back in the organization. I also think he brings a presence that is needed back into this year's clubhouse.

Even though Oz is mad and Garland didn't hit the batter I'm glad he didn't because we

probably would have lost the game had he gotten tossed.

Judging trom the comments I've seen, Oz called out Garland somewhat to the media and

Garland is taking it well.

Some may think Jon is a puss but he has pitched great of late.

I'll take his awesome effort today over beaning a guy and getting tossed and Brandon being

off and getting lit up possibly.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
Jon Garland never shows enthusiasm on the mound. It's been something that's frustrated a lot of Sox fans over the year. Judging by where the two pitches ended up, there's no doubt that Garland tried his best to hit Kinsler in the leg.

I could care less about whether or not Jon Garland shows enthusiasm on the mound. All the enthusiasm I ever want to see from him is tipping his cap to a standing ovation when he comes out of the game.

A very low risk move by the White Sox. LaMura has a lot of guys ahead of him so it's not likely he was on any 3 yr board. If Alomar works out, fine, if not they bring Stewart up. Theres only 6 weeks until rosters expand, if they can get half a dozen good games out of Alomar they should be happy.

One other note, I was at the Sunday game that Man Soo Lee missed to go to a graduation. Nobody came out to warm up the starter so Coop, of all people, had to start the long tossing himself. Then Widge came running out late and took over. Not a good idea to piss off the coaches when you're hitting .184.

I don't get on the internet much over the weekends, but when I heard Widger was sent down I could only laugh. The first thing I thought about is this place.

But I do feel bad for the guy, I'm sure he's a great person and I guess they were showing some footage of him saying his goodbyes in the clubhouse.

But he had the chance to come back from playing softball to playing for a world championship club. He got his ring, he got his pay, good luck in the future. (Although his career is probably over.)

---

As for Alomar, I'm looking forward to him catching some Mark Buerhle games. I believe Alomar was Mark's personal catcher back in the Alomar/Olivo days. (You know, Miguel Olivo. The future all-star!)

This isn't a blockbuster deal, but it's a move in the right direction.

Widger was in tears when interviewed yesterday, and he was DFA'ed because of his game prep. Also Kenny said that the coaching staff had been asking for Alomar for amonth. There is more to this relationship than we know. Better than Widger IMO. it had become obvious that his game prep was lacking as his plan for hitter never changed.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
LA Times reports Alomar can no longer catch at the level required for a back-up at the major league level. He was the Dodgers 3rd string catcher. As bad as Widger was, this is not going to be much better, if its even better at all.

In other news the Seattle Post Gazette reports that Thornton will never throw strikes and will fail forever. In other news the San Francisco Chronicle reports that AJ is a cancer and he will destroy any team he goes to. In the New York Post, Jose Contreras will never be able to pitch because he is bad.

I trust our scouts and our coaches more than the LA times. He is replacing Chris Widger, so if he gets 2 hits a month he has doubled Widgers production.

If you go by what Greg Couch aka Mini-Kotex boy, you would think this team is done and should rebuild.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
LaMura seemed to have some pretty strong numbers down in AA...anyone know much about this guy we gave up?

Here's what I wrote up about Lamura in the Soxtalk/FutureSox piece:

The White Sox are expected to send RHP B.J. Lamura to the Dodgers. Lamura, 25, was a 5th round selection out of the University of Clemson. A reliever in college, the Sox immediately moved Lamura to the rotation before moving him back to the pen midway through the 2005 season. In 2006, he emerged as a dominant reliever for the Barons going 5-0 with 3 saves and a 1.69 ERA. He struck out 67 while giving up just 32 hits in 53.1 innings. Lamura has a the potential to turn into a major league reliever. He throws a good fastball and slider, but has had periods throughout his career where he didn't appear to trust his stuff.