Sox get Mike MacDougal for Tyler Lumsden and Daniel Cortes

maggsmaggs

It's up on White Sox.com now

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...sp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- Prior to tonight's game, the Chicago White Sox acquired right-handed pitcher Mike MacDougal from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for minor-league pitchers Tyler Lumsden and Daniel Cortes. To make room for MacDougal, the White Sox will make a corresponding roster move prior to tonight's game vs. Minnesota.

MacDougal, 29, is 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA (0 ER/4.0 IP) and one save in four relief appearances in 2006. He returned to the Royals on July 13 after being sidelined for most of the season with a strained right teres muscle.

The, 6-foot-4, 185-pounder, has gone 10-14 with a 3.88 ERA (75 ER/174.0 IP), 50 saves and 162 strikeouts in 162 games (three starts) over six major-league seasons with Kansas City (2001-06). MacDougal, a 2003 American League All-Star, established career highs in wins (five), IP (70.1) and ERA (3.33) last season while being named the Royals Pitcher of the Year.

Lumsden, 23, was 9-4 with a 2.69 ERA (37 ER/123.2 IP) and 72 strikeouts in starts in 2006 with Class AA Birmingham. The left-hander originally was selected by the White Sox as a sandwich pick between the first and second round (34th overall) of the 2004 draft.

Cortes, 19, went 3-9 with a 4.01 ERA (48 ER/107.2 IP) and 96 strikeouts in 20 games (19 starts) this season with Class A Kannapolis. The right-hander originally was selected by the White Sox in seventh round of the 2005 draft.

The trade between the White Sox and Royals is the first since a six-player deal on December 10, 1987 that involved pitchers Floyd Bannister and Greg Hibbard.

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i like this deal. if everyone thinks that the two prospects were too much for macD then imagine how much it would take for gordon,etc. when healthy hes pretty good. we still have to play the royals who play us tough so now we dont have to worry about him.

We are getting a good arm, but we are giving up two of our best arms in the system, one being a low A righty who has a low to mid 90's sinking fastball (Cortes) and the other being our top lefty prospect in Tyler Lumsden. Both have a good deal of upside, although Cortes is still considered extremely raw, but he has a very very good build.

MacDougal is an insanely talented arm with some serious arm trouble but is under the Sox control for a few years.

Haven't been able to sound off on anything as I'm trying to get things updated, but I've been told that Lummy has already been informed of the move and will be reporting to Wichita (AA affiliate) while Cortes is going to be going to a former Sox affiliate (Burlington).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
We are getting a good arm, but we are giving up two of our best arms in the system, one being a low A righty who has a low to mid 90's sinking fastball (Cortes) and the other being our top lefty prospect in Tyler Lumsden. Both have a good deal of upside, although Cortes is still considered extremely raw, but he has a very very good build.

MacDougal is an insanely talented arm with some serious arm trouble but is under the Sox control for a few years.

Haven't been able to sound off on anything as I'm trying to get things updated, but I've been told that Lummy has already been informed of the move and will be reporting to Wichita (AA affiliate) while Cortes is going to be going to a former Sox affiliate (Burlington).

the development of phillips and haeger make both expendable in the next 2 years.....beyond 2 years, you can fill those same spots via draft...i like this deal

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
can't link this, but according to Tim Kurkjian the Whitesox are "extremely" close to landing Soriano for McCarthy, and that it is the perception around the league that it will happen :crying :crying :crying

You're kidding me. Haven't read this anywhere. :P

can't link this, but according to Tim Kurkjian the Whitesox are "extremely" close to landing Soriano for McCarthy, and that it is the perception around the league that it will happen :crying :crying :crying

Is this an update from earlier or the same report?

if the sox were to get soriano and resign him to a long term deal, would u still be upset if the deal happened?

>offman reported about the sox inquiring about c-lee too. like that makes sense.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
the development of phillips and haeger make both expendable in the next 2 years.....beyond 2 years, you can fill those same spots via draft...i like this deal

Umm....Phillips needs to be added to the 40 or else he's gone and Haeger is nothing compared to these other two. Cortes and Lummy have the arms of upper end prospects, Phillips and Haeger do not and while Phillips and Haeger are solid pitchers, they shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Cortes/Lummy.

Now if you want to talk about Broadway, McCulloch or other guys making them expendable than I could maybe buy that, but bottom line Kenny wanted a power arm for the pen who he controlled for another few years and he wasn't afraid to give up some good arms.

i am just kind of...perplexed. i am...i mean if this leads to a WS victory than fish yeah...but, i am really just kinda confused to the point of not knowing what to say. I want to say "too much!" but...i mean i've thought that for almost every one we've made. ... oh man. mccarthy gone would suck. ugh. Man. UGH. man.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
He probably wouldn't be to hard to resign.

I don't think I'd be too interested in resigning him.

Also, I put Soxtalk's story in the front page and it goes in depth on what the Sox gave up in terms of Cortes/Lumsden for those that are curious.

Here is the link to our story:

http://www.soxtalk.com/frontpage/html/modu...icle&sid=71