Soriano Rumors: Part Deux

rowand's rowdies

QUOTE(TarHeels2 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Fields plays left and third right?

So I say trade Broadway, Fields and Anderson for Soriano

Convert Pods from left to center. Then next year if Soriano doesn't sign back, just go and bring Sweeney up like we did with Anderson and put him or Ozuna in left.

I am sorry but I'd rather have a young prospect that can catch the ball in left then Pods.

Contradicting yourself buddy. Don't trust Pods in LF but you trust him in CF??

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LA Times today had a little story talking about Soriano and the Angels. The Angels are planning on using Howie Kendrick as a super utility guy so they can get his bat in the lineup. It seems like they have already written off any chance of getting Soriano.

Bowden has asked for one of Lackey, Weaver, or Santana along with highly touted prospect Brandon Wood.

Are you kidding me. I know initial proposals are one thing, but wow. Later on Bowden was quoted as I don't have to trade Soriano, the price I ask now will be the same price I ask at the deadline.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
The LA Times today had a little story talking about Soriano and the Angels. The Angels are planning on using Howie Kendrick as a super utility guy so they can get his bat in the lineup. It seems like they have already written off any chance of getting Soriano.

Bowden has asked for one of Lackey, Weaver, or Santana along with highly touted prospect Brandon Wood.

Are you kidding me. I know initial proposals are one thing, but wow. Later on Bowden was quoted as I don't have to trade Soriano, the price I ask now will be the same price I ask at the deadline.

I wouldn't trade Lackey, Weaver or Santana for Soriano straight up. Why Bowden thinks they could also get Wood is beyond me.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Olney reported this morning the the Tigers would be willing to give up right handed pitching prospect Humberto Sanchez for the deal for Soriano. I believe this is the player the nationals were holding out for to complete the deal.

He did not say this at all. I was listening to it as well on Salisbury and Rosenbloom. He said exactly the same thing that Stark wrote on his insider report. He said "may be leaning in the direction of including Humberto Sanchez". That is far different than saying Detroit is willing to include Humbert Sanchez in the deal. Plus Olney also brought up the point that he missed his last start with a bad elbow.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
I wouldn't trade Lackey, Weaver or Santana for Soriano straight up. Why Bowden thinks they could also get Wood is beyond me.

Ya I was laughign when I saw it but I think its the times/angels spinning a bunch of BS excuses as to why you won't see them make a move. Really it has to deal with there GM being a sissy ninny who will never ever ever trade a prospect.

I'm sure the first phone call the two teams had Bowden had some ridiculous demand just like the Angels made some ridiculous offer (like Adam Kennedy for Soriano). The Angels probably just leaked it so it sounded like it was ridiculous (which it was) but the business part of the game tells me thats a bunch of phony baloney (Bowden actually sticking to those demands).

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
Olney reported this morning the the Tigers would be willing to give up right handed pitching prospect Humberto Sanchez for the deal for Soriano. I believe this is the player the nationals were holding out for to complete the deal.

Kenny Williams has done a heck of a job of scaring Detroit if nothing else...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kenny Williams has done a heck of a job of scaring Detroit if nothing else...

That is if what ChiSox9 is reporting is true. However, it is not. He did not say "Detroit is willing to include Humberto Sanchez". ChiSox9 is rephrasing it the way he wants to. Olney said "may be leaning towards including Humberto Sanchez". That seems like a big difference to me.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
That is if what ChiSox9 is reporting is true. However, it is not. He did not say "Detroit is willing to include Humberto Sanchez". ChiSox9 is rephrasing it the way he wants to. Olney said "may be leaning towards including Humberto Sanchez". That seems like a big difference to me.

Which is still a giant leap forward from Dombrowksi saying there is no way he gets traded... The mere fact that they are contemplating it is a huge chance.

I don't remember Dombrowski ever saying Sanchez wouldn't be traded, he's always been the big name brought up in all of our trade rumors.

Seriously, how would we possibly aquire Soriano, Abreu, or Lee without giving him up, regardless of whether Chicago is involved?

Obviously we aren't trading anyone important on the major league team or Maybin, so that leaves Sanchez as our only real big time prospect.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
I don't remember Dombrowski ever saying Sanchez wouldn't be traded, he's always been the big name brought up in all of our trade rumors.

Seriously, how would we possibly aquire Soriano, Abreu, or Lee without giving him up, regardless of whether Chicago is involved?

Obviously we aren't trading anyone important on the major league team or Maybin, so that leaves Sanchez as our only real big time prospect.

Give them Maggs, Zumaya, Verlander, and Bonderman. Please? :)

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)

really? i know that maybin is getting a ton of press, but can a 19 year-old toolsy OF really be untouchable when a potentially dominant starting pitcher is not? i dont even know what sanchez throws, but it seems to me that he seems a much more likely success story than maybin, especially since maybins ETA maybe after the tigers big window (at least when bonderman, robertson, maroth, pudge and mags could be gone).

Soriano's comments after the game in DC today sure sound like he firmly believes he'll be traded.

We'll have to see. I think Bowden's demands will drop. If the White Sox happen to get him, KW will spin it as "this is something I couldn't pass up".

The popular belief that I heard today is Soriano will be traded to the Tigers for Sanchez and another prospect in the next few days. If the Tigers get him, their lineup is going to be stocked with tough outs.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
The popular belief that I heard today is Soriano will be traded to the Tigers for Sanchez and another prospect in the next few days. If the Tigers get him, their lineup is going to be stocked with tough outs.

At this point I think I am more concerned with what the Twins and Yankees do.

QUOTE(supernuke @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 03:58 AM)
At this point I think I am more concerned with what the Twins and Yankees do.

Absolutely. Go Tigers this weekend! The main reason Soriano on the Tigers would concern me is that we face them 10 more times this year.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
Absolutely. Go Tigers this weekend! The main reason Soriano on the Tigers would concern me is that we face them 10 more times this year.

yeah, but even with soriano, i still like our chances of beating the tigers in any given game more than beating the twins (although I still think we have little chance of winning the division)

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)

I actually was not rephasing it the way i wanted to the report itself stated:

- Sources have indicated to ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that the Tigers are willing to include right-handed pitching prospect Humberto Sanchez in a trade with the Nationals for Alfonso Soriano. "

Not that they are leaning towards including him.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
Does this Lee trade set the bar a little as to what teams will offer for Soriano?

I think it lowers the bar. The Brewers took on salary, gave up a potential prospect, and gave up Lee, without getting a single prospect in return. They took on 1 guy who's been decent and 2 guys who have struggled. That'd be like us giving up, I dunno, Politte, Podsednik, and maybe Mackowiak or something like that.

This from Keith Law's ESPN chat this morning:

Bobby (Chicago): give some white sox love. are they making any more moves before monday?

Keith Law: They're trying, and they did have interest in Soriano, but I think Monday's leak from Washington may have killed that. Kenny Williams would like to upgrade his rotation, but unless Jason Schmidt becomes available, I'm not sure such a player exists on this trade market.

Soriano will be a Tiger or a Yankee. Hopefully a Tiger as we have a MUCH greater chance at the wildcard spot than we do of catching Detroit for the division. I think he will go to Detroit because they have much more to offer Washington than New York does.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
Soriano will be a Tiger or a Yankee. Hopefully a Tiger as we have a MUCH greater chance at the wildcard spot than we do of catching Detroit for the division. I think he will go to Detroit because they have much more to offer Washington than New York does.

I honestly dont know if he will be traded at all. Detroit will not give up Sanchez, and he also wouldnt be the only piece of the puzzle as the players Bowden was asking from LAA were much higher quality at this point. If I was Washington, I could make Zumaya a cornerstone of any deal.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)

I'm not so sure...I would bet the Tigers, if they are being asked to give up a major leaguer, might be tentative in dealing away some chemistry. they don't really need Soriano and I'd like to see their youngsters in the playoffs...cuz it's a whole different ballgame. Kenny Rogers has a lot of experience, but they might want to back up with a Cory Lidle type...someone with experience that can pitch out of the bullpen if the starters still kick ass.

I can see a different team flinching...perhaps the Angels or the Cards.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
I honestly dont know if he will be traded at all. Detroit will not give up Sanchez, and he also wouldnt be the only piece of the puzzle as the players Bowden was asking from LAA were much higher quality at this point. If I was Washington, I could make Zumaya a cornerstone of any deal.

He must be traded. Washington knows they won't be resigning him at any reasonable price. Bowden's job probably depends on how good the package he gets for Soriano is. If the package is 2 draft picks, I doubt he keeps his job.