Soriano Rumors: Part Deux

rowand's rowdies

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
I'm all for the Soriano trade as long as Bmac isn't part of it. KW isn't about to let Brandon go. I would hate to see Pods go but getting Soriano would be worth it.

i wouldnt. can you really name something that pods does that contributes to this teams success?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
i wouldnt. can you really name something that pods does that contributes to this teams success?

Exactly. At best, Podsednik is an average player (with average talent). On this team, he just shapes up to be a non contributor.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE(toasty @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:26 PM)
kdub hates expensive rent a players

i still cant see us hanging on to soriano... rather trading him off again

besides... soriano doesnt like the outfield, tho is semi comfortable there now. do we really want to have a guy on the team that thinks this way?

good point. i dont want him b****ing about playing 2B. Thats Iguchi's possition

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)

Well Pods wife is hot. There is a remote possibility that you may see her at the park. But then again I can google her images on the internet, and then watch Soriano make Pods just a remote memory of 2005.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
Well Pods wife is hot. There is a remote possibility that you may see her at the park. But then again I can google her images on the internet, and then watch Soriano make Pods just a remote memory of 2005.

:lol:

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)

:P

nice

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
if we resign Soriano, does that mean crede gone.

Possibly, I doubt it. But now that I think of it, if Fields isn't moved in the deal, we may just let Crede walk eventually. Or imagine the value we could get if we traded Crede in the offseason. Probably the wrong thread to speculate about that in though.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Re-signing Soriano would have nothing to do with Joe.

Well, the salaries REALLY start adding up when you have Soriano's $13+ million contract and Crede's likely $8+.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
Well, the salaries REALLY start adding up when you have Soriano's $13+ million contract and Crede's likely $8+.

You also have a ton of money coming off the books after 07 which could be used to sign Joe long term. I really don't think having Soriano would end up effecting Joe.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
Bmac moving into the rotation will free up 10 to 12 million a year. It wont be Joe going, more like something of the spicy latin flavor.

good point

i'm just talkin cause theres not much else to say on this until Sportscenter totally tells us some stuff i've already heard.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
Bmac moving into the rotation will free up 10 to 12 million a year. It wont be Joe going, more like something of the spicy latin flavor.

Exactly. Either Freddy or Vazquez will be gone after this season. Vazquez's 12 million dollar contract makes me want to vomit.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Exactly. Either Freddy or Vazquez will be gone after this season. Vazquez's 12 million dollar contract makes me want to vomit.

As far as I know, we aren't paying all 12 of that though.

The always-reputable Tim Kurkjian continues to report that the Nationals and White Sox are in the midst of serious talks about Soriano. But in the 24 hours and change since this deal was characterized as "extremely close," all the evidence has suggested that these two teams aren't anywhere near the verge of a deal. Washington GM Jim Bowden has told other bidders, for instance, that they aren't close enough for him to stop taking other offers. In fact, he's still inviting those teams to send in those offers. So if Monday's news was leaked by somebody just for effect, it may turn out that the real effect was simply to spread more confusion and skepticism about what the heck is going on here. "In a few days," said an official of one interested club, "people won't buy the rumors anymore. It's going to be hard to believe anything is 'extremely close' if nothing has gotten done. I'm not sure exactly what's going on anymore. But clearly, this wasn't 'extremely close.'" And if neither pitcher Brandon McCarthy nor blue-chip third-base prospect Josh Fields is going to be in the deal, as White Sox GM Kenny Williams has now said emphatically, it can't be too close -- because the two GMs have a lot to haggle over. "There are no other guys in that [Chicago] system who can rise to the level of prospect that Bowden wants," said one AL executive. "They've got [pitcher] Lance Broadway, who's a good prospect, and [outfielder] Ryan Sweeney, who's a decent prospect but not an elite prospect. And [pitcher] Ray Liotta is a decent prospect. So I guess you could structure a deal for those three. But it would surprise me if that's the kind of deal Jim would make on July 25. That's the kind of deal you make when you don't have anything else on Sunday." Which might be the way this thing ultimately works out. This might just be a fallback for both teams if nothing bigger or better turns up by the weekend. And in the meantime, it might inspire some other bidder -- especially another AL power like the Tigers, Twins or White Sox -- to overpay for Soriano. So don't touch that clicker.

Edited by southsideirish

And [pitcher] Ray Liotta is a decent prospect

GMs are still fawning over Ray Liotta? It must be his name...

I really wish Liotta went instead of Lumsden. Kenny can make me feel better about yesterday's deal by pulling off a steal of Soriano -- Liotta + Broadway + Podsednik and I'll pack Scotty's bags AND drive him to Midway.

Soriano is having a career year after being fairly average (or bad if you factor in his defense) the last couple of years.

I would probably rather have the two first round picks than re-sign him longterm if the Tigers were to acquire him, and I think that's probably what you guys would go for as well.

Well, Kirkjian once again just said that any deal for Soriano may go until Sunday since the Nationals aren't getting what they want for him.

Said the White Sox/Nationals are still discussing who the third player will be.

Meanwhile, the Tigers and other teams are still talking to the Nationals.

Seems like this isn't anything that will happen imminently unless KW gives in.