Soriano Rumors: Part Deux

rowand's rowdies

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
Here's some food for thought:

Broadway, Pods, Tracey for Soriano

They get a leadoff hitter who they can put in LF and control his rights for another couple years (or they could move him), a pretty good RHP pitching prospect that could be ready for the majors in a year (not saying he'd be good in a year, but I think he could handle himself sometime next year) and a guy like Tracey who could pitch now (maybe we give them a 4th prospect, in this case, being a low level minor leaguer).

Nats get some talent, Sox get there guy without giving up McCarthy or any other starter.

That's a reasonable trade for the sox

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
Seems like this isn't anything that will happen imminently unless KW gives in.

I wish another general manager would just give in for Garcia already. Every passing moment he remains on our ballclub and McCarthy continues pitching out of the pen aggrivates me further.

12 of the 16 National League ballclubs are within 6 games of the division or wildcard, and not ONE team aside from New York has inquired about him? I knew over last offseason, when everyone was suggesting, "wait until midseason to trade a starter because teams will overpay," that nothing would happen. We never seem to be in a good position concerning value of our players. Typically, we're the team overpaying for talent. Where's the pseudo Williams out there willing to overpay for Garcia?

I'm actually rooting for the Cubs to defeat the Mets these upcoming two games. Perhaps Atlanta can reel off a few wins as well and create a sense of urgency for Minaya.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
12 of the 16 National League ballclubs are within 6 games of the division or wildcard, and not ONE team aside from New York has inquired about him? I knew over last offseason, when everyone was suggesting, "wait until midseason to trade a starter because teams will overpay," that nothing would happen. We never seem to be in a good position concerning value of our players. Typically, we're the team overpaying for talent. Where's the pseudo Williams out there willing to overpay for Garcia?

I remember talking about how we should trade someone in the middle of the year. Well, where's our benefits?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
I remember talking about how we should trade someone in the middle of the year. Well, where's our benefits?

Considering every starter held higher value than they currently do, it was obvious waiting until midseason was a risk. I recall asking why would Williams trade a peforming starter midseason? Only realistic scenario would be if a particular pitching were underperforming; and at that juncture, what could you get for them? Looks like it has become rather prophetic.

I know the concern was having McCarthy available in the bullpen incase an injury occurs. Regardless, I was willing to accept such a scenario if it could have given our ballclub a respectable package.

However, I can't compliment myself too much because I was willing to unload Contreras for the right price. Without his early success anchoring our rotation, who knows where we'd be? On that same note, with McCarthy in the rotation and whichever pieces around the ballclub (ideally bulpen and SP prospect), it may not have been much different.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I'm actually rooting for the Cubs to defeat the Mets these upcoming two games. Perhaps Atlanta can reel off a few wins as well and create a sense of urgency for Minaya.

Cubs 6 - Mets 4, 3rd inning.

Keep the runs coming. Garcia is always available. :headbang

Garcia is always available. :headbang

Just curious ... what part of Williams saying he isn't gonna trade any of his starting pitching this year is not getting through?

I have seen about a thousand xbox scenario trades on this site where the Sox are shipping out starting pitching.

Williams has been completely consistent with his position. Of course things can always change, it is a changing world. However I don't think SoxTalk is the driving motivator behind KW's strategy. The Soriano thread got to 60+ pages because of all the "Garcia/Vazquez are getting traded" scenarios. In spite of Williams repeatedly saying he's not gonna trade starting pitching or McCarthy for that matter.

I will take him at his word until his actions prove otherwise.

joe cowley from the sun-times was on local radio out here today, and essentially said he didn't believe the trade would happen. his opinion, which was generally stated in the sun-times today, was that this was entirely a ploy to drive up the cost for some other team. he said he could see the sox making a deal of some sort, but that this one just didn't make sense for the sox from many standpoints.

he also said he did not expect vaz or freddy to be traded, but said he was certain that vaz, freddy, or garland will be traded in the offseason because each is scheduled to make 10 million next year. this is why mccarthy getting traded made no sense to him, because he most assuredly will be the fifth starter next year.

anyhow, that's just what he said.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
joe cowley from the sun-times was on local radio out here today, and essentially said he didn't believe the trade would happen. his opinion, which was generally stated in the sun-times today, was that this was entirely a ploy to drive up the cost for some other team. he said he could see the sox making a deal of some sort, but that this one just didn't make sense for the sox from many standpoints.

he also said he did not expect vaz or freddy to be traded, but said he was certain that vaz, freddy, or garland will be traded in the offseason because each is scheduled to make 10 million next year. this is why mccarthy getting traded made no sense to him, because he most assuredly will be the fifth starter next year.

anyhow, that's just what he said.

which is completely true. There is absolutely no way bmac is going anywhere. with those 3 guys getting paid $10 mill each and not performing like a $10 mill/year player, one is going to be gone and replaced by bmac who makes the league minimum. it opens so many more options for the off season.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
On Around the Horn, Marriotti really stuck up for BA and thats nice to see. I actually like Jay on around the horn for the most part.

Stupid ass Bill Plaschke said we should trade for Maddux (Mariotti called him an idiot). God I hate that guy.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
Stupid ass Bill Plaschke said we should trade for Maddux (Mariotti called him an idiot). God I hate that guy.

I saw that as well.

Just asinine.

The offense was due to slow down, and this team doesn't win when it scores 3 or fewer runs. So you either have to strengthen the pitching where it will give up 3 or less runs, or get more offense so it will score more than 3. I don't think Soriano is coming to the Sox, but I do believe KW will add to this roster.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:30 AM)
The offense was due to slow down, and this team doesn't win when it scores 3 or fewer runs. So you either have to strengthen the pitching where it will give up 3 or less runs, or get more offense so it will score more than 3. I don't think Soriano is coming to the Sox, but I do believe KW will add to this roster.

Adding another reliever isn't the answer to our problems right now. This team needs another outfielder badly.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
Adding another reliever isn't the answer to our problems right now. This team needs another outfielder badly.

A real outfielder may have caught Bartlett's homer tonight, although it would have been a circus catch. Pablo should never see the OF on this team. It boggles my mind why the Sox don't have a right handed hitting outfielder in Gload's roster spot.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:34 AM)
A real outfielder may have caught Bartlett's homer tonight, although it would have been a circus catch. Pablo should never see the OF on this team. It boggles my mind why the Sox don't have a right handed hitting outfielder in Gload's roster spot.

A right handed hitting outfielder with speed. It didn't end up being a factor, but it's disturbing we didn't have anyone to pinch run for either Dye or Crede in the 9th inning.

A right handed hitting outfielder with speed. It didn't end up being a factor, but it's disturbing we didn't have anyone to pinch run for either Dye or Crede in the 9th inning.

This is something I blame Ozzie for. To a lessor extent, KW. They talk all the time and KW asks what's needed. How Ozzie and the coaches don't see the need ... I don't get it. Mackowiak and Gload are duplicates, except that Mackowiak is more versatile.

I expect they will finally address this by next Monday.

Well, it is clear that Mack would have pinch run but he was going to have to pinch hit for BA.

Normally, we would have had plenty of ways to go there, but he had to turn the entire lineup around lefty to try and get to Nathan.

Who knows how true it is, but there's articles coming out now that suggest the Sox aren't a real player for Soriano. The more time that goes by, this looks like a Sox "leak" job to try and raise the price for the Tigers to pay for Soriano. I do wonder though if all of this trade talk might get the players waiting around hoping that a spark is acquired.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
Who knows how true it is, but there's articles coming out now that suggest the Sox aren't a real player for Soriano. The more time that goes by, this looks like a Sox "leak" job to try and raise the price for the Tigers to pay for Soriano. I do wonder though if all of this trade talk might get the players waiting around hoping that a spark is acquired.

Yeah, I think the players know Kenny is going to do something.

If I'm the Tigers I wouldn't be worried about the Sox getting Soriano.