Floyd Landis tests positive for testosterone

I couldn't find the general sports thread so I decided to bump this once I found it.

France's anti-doping chief says a French judge has issued an international arrest warrant for U.S. cyclist Floyd Landis in connection with a case of data hacking at a doping laboratory.

Pierre Bordry said Monday that French judge Thomas Cassuto is seeking to question Landis about computer hacking dating back to September 2006. The warrant was issued on Jan. 28, Bordry said.

Bordry says computers at the Chatenay-Malabry laboratory were breached by hackers who took data in a bid to discredit the lab.

Landis won the 2006 Tour de France but was disqualified and banned for two years when doping tests revealed abnormally elevated testosterone levels. The samples were analyzed at the Chatenay-Malabry lab.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

And only just over a month out from the Tour de France, and midway thru the 2nd biggest tour of the Year with the Giro de Italia, Landis has to come out with this crap.

Cycling's done a very good job as basically picking up the pieces and moving on from this fiasco a few years back, and unfortunately Landis just has to get out in the media and inflate his ego again and again.

There's no way he's going to win a battle against Lance Armstrong in the media or in the public's eyes.

BTW, this year's Tour de France I think is argubly the most exciting tour we're going to have in quite a while.

I count at least 7 if not more contenders to win the race, because of team switches etc. (Vinkourov, Cadel Evans, Alberto Contador, Lance Armstrong, Andy Schleck, Frank Schleck and Denis Menchov).

This is why Manny Pacquiao needs to take the random tests for the fight with Mayweather, with no f***ing cutoff dates (14 day cutoff, what a joke)

People think Boxers are clean because the NSAC/CSAC/NYSAC have drug testing before and after every fight, except it's only URINE, and they don't test DURING training camp!

One of Manny Pacquiao's former trainers, Justin Fortune, says the WBO welterweight champion should agree to a random drug testing protocol for a mega-fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fortune used to work with Pacquiao's current trainer Freddie Roach. After working with Pacquiao for five years, Fortune and Roach had a dispute that led to a nasty split. He left Roach's Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, California and opened the Fortune Gym in Los Angeles

"I have no problem with Mayweather asking for drug tests for any fight. Every other sport gets proper testing, except boxing. A piss test? Are you kidding me. They are easy to get around. When there is so much money at stake in this game, do a proper test. I have no problem with random tests. If you're clean, you're clean." Fortune gave his take on one of the excuses that was kicked around regarding the drug testing. Some members of Pacquiao camp claimed the Filipino champion had a phobia with needles. "Well what about all of those f**king tattoos on him? Pretty hard to be afraid of needles when there is a tattoo gun all over your f**king arm. I do love Manny but if you're going to use an excuse, use something that's more plausible. 'I'm afraid of needles but I have tattoos,' Fortune said. Fortune doesn't see the fight taking place any time soon because he expects the fighters to argue over the money and the random drug testing. If they do end up fighting, Fortune thinks Mayweather would win it. I trained Manny Pacquiao for five years with....what's that guy's name? I forget. I can't remember. Some insignificant person, Fortune said. Mayweather is quick. Just as quick if not a little quicker than Manny, I think, and slick. He will never be able to land a proper combination on Mayweather. The son of a b*tch can fight.

I know, it's not related to the story in the original post, but I am sick of athletes who make ridiculous amounts of money, cheating their sports because of archaic drug testing methods!

NSAC/CSAC/NYSAC need to implement Olympic Style Drug Testing from WADA, at least for the big purse fights. Just my opinion!

Edited by Real

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 20, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
Doesn't Manny not want to take the drug tests because of the taking of the blood which is against his religion?

Pretty sure he's Catholic, and there's no rule against it in Catholicism as far as I know, though I'm sure he's used that as an excuse as well (He's had about 6 or 7 different ones)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
Floyd Landis has admitted doping for most of his career and accuses Lance Armstrong of doing the same.

And I heard so many passionate defenses of Landis and how it was really someone screwing with him at the lab.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
I've said it before on here. One of my friend's has a brother who is a trainer that has worked with a lot of these cyclists. He says that absolutely all of them are on some kind of drug.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 20, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
It's going to be interesting to see the reactions when the paper trail becomes strong that Lance Armstrong cheated.

They have been trying to nail him for a decade, especially France, you would think they would have done it by now if it was there.

You know what Floyd...don't "clear the air" or your conscience...just shut up. You f***ed up...you said you weren't doping, you got caught, you were suspended, and NOW you say you did. Here's a great way to clear the air. Shut your yap.

I wouldn't be surprised if Armstrong or any cyclist was doping...s***, if any athlete was doping. This is old. Don't be a jerk and just take your medicine, do your job and close your mouth.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 20, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
You know what Floyd...don't "clear the air" or your conscience...just shut up. You f***ed up...you said you weren't doping, you got caught, you were suspended, and NOW you say you did. Here's a great way to clear the air. Shut your yap.

I wouldn't be surprised if Armstrong or any cyclist was doping...s***, if any athlete was doping. This is old. Don't be a jerk and just take your medicine, do your job and close your mouth.

I disagree. The more he talks, the more likely another cheater goes down. I'm not going to applaud honor among thieves.

Livestrong Lance, Livestrong. LOL the guy is clearly a doper like all of the rest of them in worldclass biking, but you go ahead and Livestrong Lance! Landis just got busted, Armstrong is no different, he's worse for that livestrong campaign he kicked while knowing he is a doper as well.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 20, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
They have been trying to nail him for a decade, especially France, you would think they would have done it by now if it was there.

I think you can make the argument that he's too important to the sport to never have a positive result publicized. There have always been rumors of a positive EPO test in 2002, and I think there's enough smoke around Lance Armstrong to think that he's doped - just like nearly every pro cyclist in the game.

It sucks that Landis was doping in some ways, but the test results were really odd. His positive in the TdF looked like a set-up, he tests positive on a day he basically wins the race through a miracle but tests positive for a steroid that wouldn't have the desired effect for that day. But the more his whole situation spiraled out of control, the more it became obvious that he doped.

He was an exciting cyclist to watch, and really was the anti-Lance cyclist. I really wanted him to be innocent because I think a rider with his personality who won clean and free would have been awesome for American cycling.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ May 20, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
I think you can make the argument that he's too important to the sport to never have a positive result publicized. There have always been rumors of a positive EPO test in 2002, and I think there's enough smoke around Lance Armstrong to think that he's doped - just like nearly every pro cyclist in the game.

It sucks that Landis was doping in some ways, but the test results were really odd. His positive in the TdF looked like a set-up, he tests positive on a day he basically wins the race through a miracle but tests positive for a steroid that wouldn't have the desired effect for that day. But the more his whole situation spiraled out of control, the more it became obvious that he doped.

He was an exciting cyclist to watch, and really was the anti-Lance cyclist. I really wanted him to be innocent because I think a rider with his personality who won clean and free would have been awesome for American cycling.

No offense, but I find this humorous. I think Glidden is the most exciting paint to watch dry.

Not sure if anyone else watched the Giro de Italia stage today, but there was a great battle b/w Ivan Basso and Cadel Evans in a stage with quite a few climbs, including one at the end which went for about 8 miles with some gradients above 20%. Basso ended up winning by about a minute.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
I disagree. The more he talks, the more likely another cheater goes down. I'm not going to applaud honor among thieves.

Floyd Landis' mouth isn't going to bring anybody down. What bothers me the most isn't that he's calling out other cyclists...what bothers me the most is WHY he's doing it.

Lemme put it this way...

Frank Thomas vs. Floyd Landis.

Frank Thomas...clean (at least there's no reason to suspect), led the way for the White Sox to refuse the steroid test, hoping to get to the 5% barrier and therefore initializing testing across baseball.

Floyd Landis...caught, said he never did it, banned, and now talking and apologizing.

Look, I'm all for giving people a break, or a second chance, but own up to your mistakes and "clear your conscience" when it happens, not after you deny, after your suspension, after your story is dead.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
Lemme put it this way...

Frank Thomas vs. Floyd Landis.

Lemme give you this in reply:

Floyd Landis Vs. Jose Canseco.

No matter how bad Canseco's motives may have been...the game of baseball is a better game for what he did.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ May 20, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Livestrong Lance, Livestrong. LOL the guy is clearly a doper like all of the rest of them in worldclass biking, but you go ahead and Livestrong Lance! Landis just got busted, Armstrong is no different, he's worse for that livestrong campaign he kicked while knowing he is a doper as well.

Soooooooo, he DIDNT beat cancer?