• Bad
    • Terrible
  2. 2. With Mackowiak in CF

• Excellent (don't click this one)
    • Good
    • Meh
    • Ugh
    • Bad News Bears

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
In games that Anderson's on the bench, we have the worst outfield defense in baseball. Even with Anderson in the field, we have the worst throwing defense in baseball. Our LF should be a DH in A ball.

How do you figure? Both Anderson and Dye have plus arms... And while Pods arm is below avg. not so much to make us the worse throwing or even close to it. Now on the first part of your statement I agree 100%. Well maybe the Reds are pretty piss poor too with Dunn and Griffey.

I think, even with Anderson in CF, it's still just decent to good. Like fathom said, they can't throw runners out, especially at home, to save their lives. Pods is obviously a butcher in every sense out in LF. He does nothing well. I'm also very disappointed in Dye's defense this year. He seems to be running in quicksand, and I often feel that a lot of balls fall in front of him that he used to get to. Not to mention how many times it seems that runners move from 1st to 3rd on him on singles. He just doesn't seem to get to the ball fast enough or get ready for a throw to third.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
How do you figure? Both Anderson and Dye have plus arms... And while Pods arm is below avg. not so much to make us the worse throwing or even close to it. Now on the first part of your statement I agree 100%. Well maybe the Reds are pretty piss poor too with Dunn and Griffey.

It's weird with Anderson and Dye. They have strong arms, but just don't throw people out. Anderson's arm looks good, but he hasn't perfected the one hop throw yet to a base.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
In games that Anderson's on the bench, we have the worst outfield defense in baseball. Even with Anderson in the field, we have the worst throwing defense in baseball. Our LF should be a DH in A ball.

Your nuts, our outfield defense is still >>> the Angels every day of the week and twice on Sundays (w/Mack). With Anderson its good (Dye is average to above avg, BA is above avg, Pods is one of the worse in the game).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)
Your nuts, our outfield defense is still >>> the Angels every day of the week and twice on Sundays (w/Mack). With Anderson its good (Dye is average to above avg, BA is above avg, Pods is one of the worse in the game).

How is it better than the Angels? We'd have the worst LF and CF defensively in baseball if Mack's in CF. I also guess I view Dye's defense differently than you. I'm not sure if he's hurt, but he seems extremely slow out there in the last 30-40 games. Vlad sucks on defense, but at least teams respect his arm and don't always try to take the extra base on him. Doesn't Juan Rivera have a terrific arm? You see the Angels more than I do though, so I respect your opinion.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
How is it better than the Angels? We'd have the worst LF and CF defensively in baseball if Mack's in CF. I also guess I view Dye's defense differently than you. I'm not sure if he's hurt, but he seems extremely slow out there in the last 30-40 games. Vlad sucks on defense, but at least teams respect his arm and don't always try to take the extra base on him. Doesn't Juan Rivera have a terrific arm? You see the Angels more than I do though, so I respect your opinion.

Figgins is worse than Mack and when Erstad was out there he was also worse than Mack (Ersty isn't even a shell of what he once was in CF) while Vladdy is as bad as it gets. Rivera plays some left, but he's also in CF a lot and GA still plays a good deal of left field and the Angels management has been quoted that he'll likely go back to playing there if they get a DH (which is what the plan is) and Anderson is right there with Dunn as the worse defensive left fielder (those two guys are the only two worse than Pods with Manny ranking just ahead of Pods).

So:

Dye >>> Vladdy (who is horrid)

Mack >>> Figgins or Rivera (I know its funny to say cause Figgy is really fast but he gets terrible jumps; not necessarily his fault since he isn't an everyday CFer)

Juan Rivera >>> Pods >>> GA

Anderson has a plus arm, but I haven't seen him throw out too many runners.

guys seem to run on him.

Dye has made a number of good catches, but dropped a few, too.

His arm is solid, but I wonder how many assists he has.

Pods is unwatchable.

he just seems indifferent to defense.

sad, but true.

the way Sweeney is hitting lately -- up to .300 and showing more power -- he might be in lf next year

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
the way Sweeney is hitting lately -- up to .300 and showing more power -- he might be in lf next year

I still want to see Sweeney have 1 more full year in AAA to grow up, maybe add some muscle, and be ready to replace JD after 07.

You guys are nuts about Dye's arm. Almost every game is somehow changed because runners won't advance on Dye. There's a lot time where no one could throw out the baserunner and they still don't advance. Dye is really a gamechanger in RF, just because of how much they respect his arm and don't give him opportunities to throw runners out.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)
You guys are nuts about Dye's arm. Almost every game is somehow changed because runners won't advance on Dye. There's a lot time where no one could throw out the baserunner and they still don't advance. Dye is really a gamechanger in RF, just because of how much they respect his arm and don't give him opportunities to throw runners out.

Yeah, he's done just an amazing job at limiting runners from going from 1st to 3rd or scoring on a single from 2nd base lately.....not.

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
If I recall, Dye's a FA after this year. I think he's done in Chicago. ( Plz correct me if I'm wrong on the contract.)

We have him through 07 via a team option for 6M.

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
If I recall, Dye's a FA after this year. I think he's done in Chicago. ( Plz correct me if I'm wrong on the contract.)
The Sox have a team option on Dye for $6 mil next year.

EDIT: Damn you Jake...

Edited by Sam

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
To pick up his option. We'd be insane not to, considering what he could get on the open market.

Oh, ok. Yes, of course. His offense has been spectacular this year.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
Jermaine sucks. He can't throw out runners remember?

Have you seen how many times runners have advanced an extra base on him this year? It's happened quite a lot. He doesn't seem to get to the ball fast enough, or he doesn't come up firing when he gets there. And he's extremely slow out in RF this year.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
Oh, ok. Yes, of course. His offense has been spectacular this year.

Have you seen how many times runners have advanced an extra base on him this year? It's happened quite a lot. He doesn't seem to get to the ball fast enough, or he doesn't come up firing when he gets there. And he's extremely slow out in RF this year.

Have you seen how many times runners have chosen not to attempt an extra base on him this year as well?

Of course, nimble is not something I would ever call him.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
Have you seen how many times runners have chosen not to attempt an extra base on him this year as well?

Well, I guess you got me there. I don't know of any stat that can tell us one way or the other.

We just have to go with our eyes. Your eyes tell you he's a threat to baserunners. My eyes tell me he's nowhere near the defender he used to be. He's painfully slow and I have seen too many runners go 1st to 3rd and 2nd to home on him.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:46 PM)
Well, I guess you got me there. I don't know of any stat that can tell us one way or the other.

We just have to go with our eyes. Your eyes tell you he's a threat to baserunners. My eyes tell me he's nowhere near the defender he used to be. He's painfully slow and I have seen too many runners go 1st to 3rd and 2nd to home on him.

1st to 3rd can be blamed on his poor speed. 2nd to home though?