Tigers get Sean Casey

BigSqwert

DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers acquired first baseman Sean Casey from the Pittsburgh Pirates on Monday in exchange for minor-league pitcher Brian Rogers.

Casey, a career .304 hitter, gives the AL Central-leading Tigers the left-handed-hitting presence they have lacked as they head toward a playoff berth.

Casey hit .296 (63-for-213) with 15 doubles, three home runs and 29 RBI in 59 games this season with Pittsburgh.

Rogers, 24, went 3-2 with one save and a 2.39 ERA in 37 relief appearances this season with Double-A Erie of the Eastern League. He was Detroit's 11th round selection in the 2003 draft from Georgia Southern University.

To make room for Casey, Detroit optioned the contract of first baseman Chris Shelton to Triple-A Toledo.

Shelton hit 10 home runs in the month of April -- nine in the first 13 games -- but has hit only six since.

He is batting .277 with 16 homers and 45 RBI in 103 games this season.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers acquired first baseman Sean Casey from the Pittsburgh Pirates on Monday in exchange for minor-league pitcher Brian Rogers.

Casey, a career .304 hitter, gives the AL Central-leading Tigers the left-handed-hitting presence they have lacked as they head toward a playoff berth.

Casey hit .296 (63-for-213) with 15 doubles, three home runs and 29 RBI in 59 games this season with Pittsburgh.

Rogers, 24, went 3-2 with one save and a 2.39 ERA in 37 relief appearances this season with Double-A Erie of the Eastern League. He was Detroit's 11th round selection in the 2003 draft from Georgia Southern University.

To make room for Casey, Detroit optioned the contract of first baseman Chris Shelton to Triple-A Toledo.

Shelton hit 10 home runs in the month of April -- nine in the first 13 games -- but has hit only six since.

Sean CASEY, not Sean TRACEY. I don't know how this helps them so much. I know Shelton was slumping, but Casey has not been doing much the past couple years either.

Pretty much a 'meh' kind of move, Casey is left handed and gets on base at a good clip which are two things our lineup is lacking.

Of course, he also has little power and is injury prone, still a slight upgrade over Shelton and it only took a minor league reliever to get him so not bad.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)

Ah, have the mighty have fallen.

Not sure I get this one. I'd almost think they will platoon Casey and Shelton at 1st base, and neither of them have a whole lot of power. It's a lefty bat, but not nearly the quality one the Tigers need. But then again, they are on pace to win about 212 games, so what the hell do I know.

Yeah now that Dmitri Young is back they don't really need a huge move to upgrade over Monroe. Of course, Thames recent funk might give them some concern sinc eits bad timing but I would probably stand pat if I were them after the Casey trade. Just like us last year, why fix something that is runnign great and should be expected to continue to do so

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
Not sure I get this one. I'd almost think they will platoon Casey and Shelton at 1st base, and neither of them have a whole lot of power. It's a lefty bat, but not nearly the quality one the Tigers need. But then again, they are on pace to win about 212 games, so what the hell do I know.

They optioned Shelton to AAA. It would be impossible for him to platoon with Casey from another state.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
Wierd, senseless move.

I don't see what's wierd and senseless about it. They needed a left handed bat (power or no power) they needed a guy who can get hits and/or gets on base at a good clip against right handed pitchers. Casey can do that. He's also pretty consistent against left handed pitching as well.

That and Shelton has been hitting .244 since his torrid month of April. A change was neccessary. A Dmitri/Casey platoon at first and DH should be solid.

Edited by JackTalkThai

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
They optioned Shelton to AAA. It would be impossible for him to platoon with Casey from another state.

Hmm ok. This is an odd move (not Shelton going down, but going cheap on the LH bat and getting Casey).

Actually, Casey isn't cheap now that I think about it, so this makes even less sense.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
Hmm ok. This is an odd move (not Shelton going down, but going cheap on the LH bat and getting Casey).

Actually, Casey isn't cheap now that I think about it, so this makes even less sense.

Tigers are only paying 1-million of his salary.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
They may as well have Ross Gload.

You're comparing a guy who's a career .283 BA, .330 OBP, 7 HR, 47 RBI, 21 BB, 51 K

(162 game averages...229 career games)

to someone who has career averages of .304 BA, .371 OBP, 17 HR, 90 RBI, 59 BB, 68 K

(162 game averages...1,140 career games)

Exaggerate much? :D

Edited by JackTalkThai

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
You're comparing a guy who's a career .283 BA, .330 OBP, 7 HR, 47 RBI, 21 BB, 51 K

(162 game averages...229 career games)

to someone who has career averages of .304 BA, .371 OBP, 17 HR, 90 RBI, 59 BB, 68 K

(162 game averages...1,140 career games)

Exaggerate much? :D

DUDE GLOAD SO JUST HIT A CLUTCH HOMER NOT EVEN LIKE 4 DAYS AGO SO HE IS LIKE 10 TIMES BETTERER THAN SHAWWWN CASEY

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
DUDE GLOAD SO JUST HIT A CLUTCH HOMER NOT EVEN LIKE 4 DAYS AGO SO HE IS LIKE 10 TIMES BETTERER THAN SHAWWWN CASEY

Well in the face of that mountain of rock hard evidence....

I retract everything I said and I'll add that I've heard that the french actually call Gload..."La God". :)

A great trade for the Tigers. He brings defense, contact hitting, and experience to a team that needs all of those things. The Sox and Twins stood pat making it easy for the Tigers to go after Casey instead of Soriano, thus holding onto their stud prospects, Maybin and Sanchez. :headbang