No Trades?

Xero

yeah, KW and OG are pretty naive to think that this team can still win it all. We have two average pitchers and three spiffty pitchers, while the Twins have two superstars, 1 average and two spiffty (but Garza is on the way,) while Detroit has one stud, thee above-average and one average. Both teams also have better pens than ours, so basically we are screwed.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah, KW and OG are pretty naive to think that this team can still win it all. We have two average pitchers and three spiffty pitchers, while the Twins have two superstars, 1 average and two spiffty (but Garza is on the way,) while Detroit has one stud, thee above-average and one average. Both teams also have better pens than ours, so basically we are screwed.

Did you say the same thing last year when all we did was get Blum? And again when Cleveland was catching us? THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
Did you say the same thing last year when all we did was get Blum? And again when Cleveland was catching us? THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!

We had the best record in baseball.

Unfortunately there was no starting pitching available, or at least it seems. That really would have been the only thing worth while doing and I guess a 4th outfielder who can actually play cf wouldn't have hurt either. I will say that I'm happy we didn't trade any of our big guns for an Andruw Jones or an Alfonso Soriano.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)

It's different when you currently don't have a play-off spot, as opposed to last season when we were in 1st place the entire year.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We had the best record in baseball.

ok? and our record is horrible this year?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's different when you currently don't have a play-off spot, as opposed to last season when we were in 1st place the entire year.

It is? In what way? We are forced to overpay for something not so special? Why? We have a good team. A playoff caliber team. Just settle down and thing positively. We are out of a playoff spot by a half game. It will be ok.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
So the answers to our season are Alomar and MacDougal.

It is going to be a long August and September.

It's not like this team has major holes, they just have guys who are underperforming. This is a very, very talented team. I'm pretty happy with what KW has done with the bullpen in acquiring Riske and MacDougal and releasing Politte. The key for the season will be the starting pitchers. If they come around the Sox will be fine. If they don't, I don't see any realistic trade that would have been a difference maker for the team anyway. It will be interesting to see if they play better now that the uncertainty of the trade deadline has passed.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)

No but we aren't the front runners to get a spot in the post season. We had some holes to fill and did nothing to address them.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)

It is? In what way? We are forced to overpay for something not so special? Why? We have a good team. A playoff caliber team. Just settle down and thing positively.

We are 9-15 this month, that is horrible for a team as good as we are supposed to be.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No but we aren't the front runners to get a spot in the post season. We had some holes to fill and did nothing to address them.

what holes? LF leadoff spot? Who were we going to get to fill the rotation or fill a bullpen spot? I think our bullpen is set. I think we have everything we need in house. If they want to switch things up that is up to them.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)

You have to stop talking about last year. This is a different team. We are 8.5 games back in our own division. We have to compete with three other teams for one WC spot. Look at the starters ERA this year compared to last. This is a different team and they are in trouble. I will come out and admit that I am wrong when/if the time comes that this club makes the playoffs, but I do not see that happening. Sorry.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Just settle down and think positively.

How does it matter if I think positively or not? It's the team I am worried about. I don't know if we're watching the same team but the Sox I've been watching look tired and could have used some help in a few areas. Whether I am positive or not won't help the team's chances.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)

Since you just love to compare things to last year, yes it is.

To be fair, comparing anything to last year is moronic. Nonetheless, we don't have a playoff spot right now.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
It is? In what way? We are forced to overpay for something not so special? Why? We have a good team. A playoff caliber team. Just settle down and thing positively.

Who said anything we aquire would not be special?

And why think positively when we stood put while our main competition(who already holds a lead on us) made the biggest splash at the dealine? I don't get it.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since you just love to compare things to last year, yes it is.

To be fair, comparing anything to last year is moronic. Nonetheless, we don't have a playoff spot right now.

Who said anything we aquire would not be special?

And why think positively when we stood put while our main competition(who already holds a lead on us) made the biggest splash at the dealine? I don't get it.

Our record is horrible this year? How so? Please tell me how that is possible. We play in the toughest division in baseball and we are 19 games above .500. That is only 7 games worse than last year. It is not as good as last year, but please, it is not close to horrible.

who made the biggest splash? Yanks? Is Bobby Abreu really that great and what they needed? They already had a strong lineup. Corey Lidle is nothing great - average at best. All we had to do was take on the salaries. You wanted to do that? OK fine. They are only a half game up on us. That is a huge lead and I hae no idea how we will possibly overcome that.

What did you want to acquire that would have been special that was a realistic possibility? Please tell me. Thank you.

Edited by southsideirish