Brokeback Joker?

spawn

Batman Sequel Title & Casting Confirmed!

Source: Warner Bros. Pictures July 31, 2006

As a follow up to last year's blockbuster Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama "Memento," which he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller "Insomnia," starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on "The Prestige," with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

Bale was most recently seen in the ensemble cast of Terrence Malick's "The New World." His other credits include "Little Women," "Portrait of a Lady," "Metroland," "American Psycho," "Laurel Canyon" and Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the Sun," which was his first starring role.

Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama "Brokeback Mountain." His other credits include "Casanova," "Monster's Ball," "Lords of Dogtown," "The Brothers Grimm" and "The Patriot."

"Chris' unique vision is what made 'Batman Begins' such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of 'The Dark Knight,'" said Robinov. "We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker."

"I'm excited to continue the story we started with 'Batman Begins,'" added Nolan. "Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007. Link

My first immpression on this news was...damn! Why why why why why him? But then, I didn't think Michael Keaton could pull off playing Batman, so I'll reserve judgment. However, I am not optimistic. :wacko:

Edited by spawn

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
I really, really wish they had gone for a story that HASN'T already been done in the Batman franchise. Doing a Joker movie means competing with the original Batman film, and that's just plain stupid. Better to go with a villain not already done.

Agreed. I think the Mad Hatter would've been a great follow-up to Scarecrow.

I enjoyed the last batman the most out of all of them. I think Bale did a great job of playing a darker more human Bruce Wayne/Batman. I dont know how Heath Ledger will work out, but I cant wait till this movie comes out.

And how the last one ended with the Joker card you had to know what was coming.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
The last one was my favorite of all batmans, so I got no problem with them rehashing another one of the old's and kind of re-doing the whole thing. As long as they don't start getting cheesier and cheesier like the originals got.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
I enjoyed the last batman the most out of all of them. I think Bale did a great job of playing a darker more human Bruce Wayne/Batman. I dont know how Heath Ledger will work out, but I cant wait till this movie comes out.

And how the last one ended with the Joker card you had to know what was coming.

word. nolan is still at the helm so i don't think we have anything to worry about...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
I really, really wish they had gone for a story that HASN'T already been done in the Batman franchise. Doing a Joker movie means competing with the original Batman film, and that's just plain stupid. Better to go with a villain not already done.

If they go with a story like the one found in "Batman: The Killing Joke", it should be a solid film and different from the first Batman movie (which I still consider the best one)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Killing_Joke -- SPOILERS FOR THE COMIC WITHIN

And Heath Ledger as Joker should be interesting. I was pulling for Johnny Depp but I'm not quite sure anybody could top Nicholson's Joker performance. He was so fantastic in the role.

If he wasn't already Batman, I think Christian Bale (especially the Machinist-era version) could have been an outstanding Joker.

Comparisons to Nicholson's version are going to be unavoidable, but if this is supposed to be a retelling of the early days of the Batman saga then the Joker character has to loom large in the plotlines.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
And Heath Ledger as Joker should be interesting. I was pulling for Johnny Depp but I'm not quite sure anybody could top Nicholson's Joker performance. He was so fantastic in the role.

Nolan is directing so I'll reserve judgment till I see the finished product considering his Batman was the closest to the comic books, but the choice of Heath Ledger makes this Batman fan want to :drink

Not even in my Top 10 list of who I think could pull it off. Ledger has alot to live up to playing the greatest comic book villian of all time.

Having said that, if Nolan goes the way of the comic book Joker instead of Tim Burton's Joker AND if Heath can pull it off, I don't think there will be any comparison's to who played the better Joker.

It'll be more like, "Jack Who?"

I think it is really cool that Nolan is creating his own image of Batmans world though, and to create that he cannot deny Batmans first and foremost villain throughout his history. Honestly I was interested to find out who was going to play the Joker, but it really didnt matter to me because this is Nolans vision, not Ledgers. As long as Bale is Batman, Michael Kane is Alfred, and Katie Holmes isnt in the movie and/or killed off in a horrible accident, I could care less who the side characters are. Although I didnt think Gary Oldman was all that good, to tell you the truth. I really like what Nolan has done with the overall tone of the series though, Schumacher really crapped on the series with his sad attempt to recreate the old show instead of the comic book character.

I wasnt a big fan of Katie Holmes but I thought she was pretty good in the first one.... but supposedly she was a bitz to deal with and thanks to Tom she wont be back for sure. The choice of actor for Joker is also very interesting but they had to have joker... cant have batman without the joker. Just as long as they dont bring back the penguin or the riddler...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)
I wasnt a big fan of Katie Holmes but I thought she was pretty good in the first one.... but supposedly she was a bitz to deal with and thanks to Tom she wont be back for sure. The choice of actor for Joker is also very interesting but they had to have joker... cant have batman without the joker. Just as long as they dont bring back the penguin or the riddler...

Do yourself a favor and get a copy of the movie, skip to the part where she drives Batman to the "underworld" part of town and lectures him. Try not to laugh out loud at how bad she is. Then skip to the scene where the mind gas is dropped on the city and that random little boy gets pushed by a cop(actually, its a horribly acted scene by all parties, but Katie Holmes is really bad).

She was a bad Batman girl. Real bad.