Jermaine Dye's defensive abilities.

YASNY

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really have no problem with his "D"; he'll miss one every now and then but not to the point where it's noticeable to me. He's also made some nice diving catches.

Granted, they aren't always pretty and he doesn't seem to have the instinct that Anderson does for knowing where the ball's going, but I have no complaints.

If he can catch up to a ball, its caught. His arm is one of the best in the league, and he has very good reads.

he also looks extremely slow when getting to balls in the gap and balls down the line.

I think his defensive abilities are above average and he is the only one hitting right now on our team

I think JD is a very good defensive player when he gets to play alongside a very good defensive player. Yes, he does have key weaknesses, like some of his runs to the side after balls. Those weaknesses get magnified if he doesn't have someone alongside him who can fill in those gaps.

If you put JD up alongside a center fielder with great range, JD will do an excellent job in RF, because it cuts down on the area he has to cover moving laterally; he can take a few more steps towards the line, and focus more on covering forwards and backwards rather than covering the Right Center gap. In other words, stop (#&*($&389&&*(%* putting Mack in CF, and people will stop complaining about Dye's defense.

His arm is good, but the accuracy hasn't thrilled me. His arm is good enough to scare some people into not advancing, which is helpful, but he doesn't have the outfield assists to show for it.

He's above average defensively IMO. He does make some incredible plays, and I think his range is underrated. He appears slow, but he's faster than he looks. Long striders always appear slower than they really are. He gets good reads, and has a strong arm, although it hasn't been quite as accurate as it usually is this season. He's not a gold glover anymore, but he isn't bad out there.

I think his defensive ability is average. He usually gets really good reads/jumps on balls hit directly over his head. I think his weakness is in his lateral movement. He doesn't move well to to the gap or to the foul line. His arm is solid and fairly accurate but I don't recall him having many outfield assists.

He's slightly above average in RF IMO. He catches it if he gets to it, still has a pretty good arm, and gets great reads, which makes up for the lack of speed.

But then again, this topic doesn't matter to me as long as Jermaine leads the AL in slugging and has an OPS over 1.000, as well as a pace to finish with over 40 homers and 100 RBI's, as well as a .320 average. :)

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
I definitely wouldn't say he's great. He's a little above average.

I'm going to stick with great. He's got deceptive speed, a great arm, takes good reads, dives a little more than I'd like...but that has to do with his speed. He's faster than most give him credit for, but he's still not THAT fast.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
He's slightly above average in RF IMO. He catches it if he gets to it, still has a pretty good arm, and gets great reads, which makes up for the lack of speed.

But then again, this topic doesn't matter to me as long as Jermaine leads the AL in slugging and has an OPS over 1.000, as well as a pace to finish with over 40 homers and 100 RBI's, as well as a .320 average. :)

I agree about the offense. If he continues to hit like he does, he can do whatever he wants.

The reason I brought it up in the first place is to talk about how bad our OF defense is with Mackowiak. I think, even with BA in CF, it's still only decent to good. With Mackowiak out there, it's hilariously bad.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
I'm going to stick with great. He's got very little speed, a great arm, takes good reads, dives a little more than I'd like...but that has to do with his lack of speed. He's faster than most give him credit for, but he's still not fast.

Fixed

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
I'm going to stick with great. He's got deceptive speed, a great arm, takes good reads, dives a little more than I'd like...but that has to do with his speed. He's faster than most give him credit for, but he's still not THAT fast.

He has deceptive speed in the same sense that Thome does. They're both faster than they look, but they're not fast at all.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
Dye's offense has been awesome, there's no question. However, why do people keep saying he has a cannon for an arm? He hasn't thrown out anyone at 3rd or home this season, and teams are definitely being aggressive on the bases against him.

He stills has a gun. But, Vlad still has a gun, and he does nothing with it either.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
He stole 11 bases last season. I don't care if you "know how to steal a base" (as Hawk would say) or not, you need some speed to steal 11 bases.

No, not really. Albert Pujols had almost 20 steals last season, and he doesn't have much speed. Even Bonds has a couple of steals this season, and my grandma is faster than him now. If you're going to use speed to judge stolen bases, then Joey Gathright and his 15 steals must not have blazing speed.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
Strengths: Great reads; is rarely taken offguard. Strong, accurate arm

Weaknesses: Absolutely no makeup speed. Appears slower than hell running after fly balls to his left.

Agreed, although his arm accuracy is marginal at best.