Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
The latest is that Alabama is nearing a deal with Rich Rodriguez. Those reports are originating out of West Virginia and Pat Forde of ESPN, not Alabama. Forde says Bama will make a formal offer after WVU's game Saturday. Greg Hunter, who works for the flagship station for Mountineer sports details potential contract dollars. He said on the radio here tonight, that insiders have been telling him for a week that if Alabama offers, Rodriguez will accept.

West Virginia Metro News

Personally, I think this would be a better hire than Spurrier.

I heard a report on sporting news radio that said tonight Rodriguez called some radio show that was talking about him leaving WVU (i can't remember which city this was in or anything) and said that he's not going anywhere, that WVU is his dream job, etc. I know talk is cheap sometimes, but would he go out of his way to ask to be put on the air to clear things up? I would say no...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 04:01 AM)
I heard a report on sporting news radio that said tonight Rodriguez called some radio show that was talking about him leaving WVU (i can't remember which city this was in or anything) and said that he's not going anywhere, that WVU is his dream job, etc. I know talk is cheap sometimes, but would he go out of his way to ask to be put on the air to clear things up? I would say no...

What happened was, his wife called him while at the team dinner and said that they were reporting on the radio that he had already agreed to a deal with Alabama and was planning on informing his team at that very dinner. He called the radio show and stated that the report was not true. There was no deal in place and he had not spoken directly to anyone from Alabama.

His direct quote:

"I have no idea what anybody is talking about," Rodriguez told the MetroNews Statewide Sport radio show. "I have not talked to anybody. They haven't offered me anything. I didn't even say I was interested. When all of these rumors came up, all I said was I don't address rumors. It's as simple as that."

While I do find it strange that he took the step to call in, that statement certainly does not eliminate any possibility he would go if offered the job. The radio station's original report was based on Pat Forde reporting that Alabama would make an offer after the game Sat. Nothing was ever said about an offer being made. The station is part of the West Virginia radio network, which runs 20+ stations across the state. It is WVU sports flagship station, so perhaps, on the night before a huge game with Rutgers, he felt it necessary to stop the talk at least temporarily?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
Why is a bowl game between Ohio and Southern Miss taking place after the BCS games?

Because when the scheduled the Championship game, they did not specify no other Bowl games could be played in between. Bowl games have to be completed before the end of the season and they cannot conflict with BCS games. This wording created a loophole that the people on the GMAC and International Bowls took advantage of.

Expect the language to change next year.

Wake Forest winning the ACC is absolutely amazing. That win gives alot of lesser programs hope for conference championships. As Grobe once stated, Wake Forest doesn't have a recruiting pool, more like a recruiting puddle. Just shows what a team can do when they have experience and good coaching to back it up.

That and the ACC blew chunks this year. :P

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
The BCS points don't matter at this point or am I missing something?

They don't, unless everyone adopts the "Steve Spurrier drop ND out of the top 25 in the polls" strategy. Outside of that ND could give two craps about who wins what today.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
SIU loses to Montana 20-3. Montana played awesome defensively.

Damn, I know SIU plays great D and offense isn't their strength, but Montana's defense must be REALLY good.

Oh wait, this is the football thread.....

I'm pretty convinced that should USC fail to come back, that Florida will jump Michigan and go to the championship game. I just think there will be too many people that will argue against a rematch and that will give Florida credit for their schedule, regardless of how they struggled at times. They got it done, and I think that will be enough.

That said, I still think USC finds a way to win this game.