Official College Football Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
Why? Florida has the number 1 strength of schedule in college football and won the best conference in football while only losing one game. I have no clue why you oppose Florida so much more than you would USC.

Because USC and Michigan were so close point wise when USC beat Notre Dame. I have ALWAYS believed that who you lose to should matter just as much as to who you beat. Michigan started so low in the rankings this year, that I understand why USC was still around even with the loss to Oregon State.

I don't like the fact that in two weeks, Florida gained so much ground on a team that didn't get to play.

It's just how I feel.

Buckeyes win big.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
Because USC and Michigan were so close point wise when USC beat Notre Dame. I have ALWAYS believed that who you lose to should matter just as much as to who you beat. Michigan started so low in the rankings this year, that I understand why USC was still around even with the loss to Oregon State.

I don't like the fact that in two weeks, Florida gained so much ground on a team that didn't get to play.

It's just how I feel.

Buckeyes win big.

Florida lost to Auburn, not exactly a 1-AA team.

Throw up the schedules, and decide for yourself. You can only give Michigan so much credit for LOSING to OSU. Now, who'd they beat...

Here's a good link to check out: http://cfn.scout.com/2/596883.html

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)

It's just how I feel.

Buckeyes win big.

Nice quote in your sig, lol. I like how the two Brian's are ganging up on me in this thread. :lol:

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 06:15 PM)
At this point though, what sane solution is there? It's a broken system and the voters are trying to put a band-aid on it by making their best decision.

Michigan did not win its conference championship. Florida did. Ohio State did. What happens if there is a rematch, Florida wins its bowl game, and Michigan wins the final game? Now Michigan loses the Big 10, and wins the national championship over another 1 loss team that did win its conference championship? That's freaking moronic.

It is a broken system there really isn't a solution here. I think what should have happened was after Michigan lost to OSU they should put both USC and FLA ahead of Michigan. I believe the voters looked at the outrage over Nebraska (which didn't even win it's division much less conference) getting in that they did not want a repeat of 2001. The best thing that could happen for the committee is OSU win because if FLA wins all hell could break loose and for one don't want a good football season to be tainted so go OSU!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
Probably LSU. But it's better to discuss who is a 4th team than having to discuss who the 2nd team is. At least if you have a 4 team playoff, someone is earning it on the field.

Ya LSU is 4th in the rankings but they lost 2 games. Louisville only lost 1 game, same with Wisconsin. Boise State never lost?

No matter where you cut it off there is going to be controversy.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
Ya LSU is 4th in the rankings but they lost 2 games. Louisville only lost 1 game, same with Wisconsin. Boise State never lost?

No matter where you cut it off there is going to be controversy.

I agree but it's still better to be discussing a 4th team who gets into a playoff than just a 2nd team who gets put into the championship. At least there you have someone winning 2 games on the field.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
I think an easy thing to do for the first step, is you take 4 teams. Say they play in the Rose and Orange Bowl on Jan 1st, than the winners play on Jan 8th in the title game.

I've been thinking that's the best stopgap solution for years.

Hell, the Rose Bowl has already received permission from the City of Pasadena to run a 2nd game in that stadium a week after new years. The people running the bloody stadium saw the writing on the wall a year ago.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
Hell, the Rose Bowl has already received permission from the City of Pasadena to run a 2nd game in that stadium a week after new years. The people running the bloody stadium saw the writing on the wall a year ago.

I believe that would be for the extra BCS Championship game though.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)
You look at the body of work, so yes it's perfectly reasonable for Florida (or any team) to leapfrog Michigan. If this weren't possible at all, you'd have an advantage for playing your games earlier in the season and not having a championship game. This whole "how can Michigan go down if they didn't play" sentiment is stupid. Other teams have a right to play out their schedule, and then you compare resumes.

Michigan already played OSU, and lost. And their resume certainly isn't better than Florida's.

Wow, best post yet. Alot of people are forgetting that FLA won the SEC and had the hardest schedule.

With all due respect, considering:

1. We don't know if tOSU is better than Florida, we saw on the field that tOSU is better than Michigan already.

2. Florida has a better resume and played a tougher schedule.

3. Michigan didn't even win their own conference.

If you think Michigan should be #2, well your a moron. USC coulda had a legit beef if they had won yesterday and finished behind Florida (same goes for Florida had they finished behind USC), but we already know Ohio State is better than Michigan, who doesn't have nearly the quality wins of Florida or even USC, and didn't win their league.

Also, Notre Dame is going to get destroyed by LSU in what will be a road game in New Orleans basically. It's an embarassment they are in a BCS game, but they'll get theirs at least.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
With all due respect, considering:

1. We don't know if tOSU is better than Florida, we saw on the field that tOSU is better than Michigan already.

2. Florida has a better resume and played a tougher schedule.

3. Michigan didn't even win their own conference.

If you think Michigan should be #2, well your a moron. USC coulda had a legit beef if they had won yesterday and finished behind Florida (same goes for Florida had they finished behind USC), but we already know Ohio State is better than Michigan, who doesn't have nearly the quality wins of Florida or even USC, and didn't win their league.

Also, Notre Dame is going to get destroyed by LSU in what will be a road game in New Orleans basically. It's an embarassment they are in a BCS game, but they'll get theirs at least.

Not sure how you define respect, but I'm pretty sure that's not it. Then again, why should we expect anything less.........

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)

USC lost to Oregon State. Quality losses should mean just as much as quality wins.

Florida won the SEC because they had a legit title game, Michigan never had a chance to play in one.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
USC lost to Oregon State. Quality losses should mean just as much as quality wins.

Florida won the SEC because they had a legit title game, Michigan never had a chance to play in one.

Michigan did have a chance to win the conference, they lost.

yes they did, it was the best chance you will ever see teams have in the Big Ten. Win the game, go to the BCS title game, win your conference. They lost. End Game.

Wojehowski on ESPN.com wrote a rant b****ing about why Michigan got jobbed for all those people on that side of the fence. Of course, I wouldnt expect anything different from a Tennessee Grad.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
It is a broken system there really isn't a solution here. I think what should have happened was after Michigan lost to OSU they should put both USC and FLA ahead of Michigan. I believe the voters looked at the outrage over Nebraska (which didn't even win it's division much less conference) getting in that they did not want a repeat of 2001. The best thing that could happen for the committee is OSU win because if FLA wins all hell could break loose and for one don't want a good football season to be tainted so go OSU!

Thats exactly what I want. Unless its my team, I route for the system to fail because consistent failures are what gives me my small hope that we'll eventually some sort of playoff system.

I'm a huge Michigan fan aswell, but the Big Ten will never have a conference championship game aslong as Michigan and Ohio State are consitantly good. In most years that decides the champion.

As for whitesoxfan101, I must be a moron because I believe Michigan is the 2nd best team in college. I can't wait to see Florida get beat up by Ohio State.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
Thats exactly what I want. Unless its my team, I route for the system to fail because consistent failures are what gives me my small hope that we'll eventually some sort of playoff system.

I feel that way to. I hated the BCS when it first started in 1998/99 and I was rooting for FLA to make it just to cause the system more trouble. I do think OSU will stomp FLA though I was not impressed with Fla at all yesterday or maybe it is my anti SEC sentiment talking after living in that region for 6 years, and hearing how great the conference is every minuet grew old fast.