Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
As for whitesoxfan101, I must be a moron because I believe Michigan is the 2nd best team in college. I can't wait to see Florida get beat up by Ohio State.

Of course Florida will get beat up, but that's not what I said. What I said was Florida obviously deserves to go more and has a better resume from every angle except "quality loss" (and even their loss was really "good").

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
Just like they were going to get "exposed" against Arkansas? ;)

They would have lost that game if not for Reggie Fish. I couldn't have predicted the returner was going to field the ball at the 2 yard line. I'm still not sure how Florida made it this far, they could easily have 4 or 5 losses right now (South Carolina, Florida State, LSU, Arkansas).

A few things:

Jim Walden, the guy who voted Florida #1, last coached for Iowa State. So, yeah.

Sounds like Major Applewhite will be the next ISU QB coach. We hired the Stephen F. Austin head coach as our OC, so if anyone knows anything about him other than he's fat, that'd be cool.

I always thought that if we did go with a playoff, it should be 8 teams. An undefeated team always gets an automatic berth (we'll never have more than 4, IMO), while using the BCS rankings to both seed and determine the remaining teams. There's honestly never usually more than 4 teams with a claim, but just in case.

That's how Heads fixes things, anyways.

Weighing in on the playoff issue, Krush knows that I have rallied against a playoff for a very long time. I love the bowls and I love seeing the interplay between confrences. That being said, here is my idea for a playoff that I consider to be the only fair way to set it up (bear with me, this is long, but I think worthwhile):

1) Operating much like the BCS, there would be 6 major BCS conferences. Each conference champion gets a spot in the 8 team BCS playoff. In the case of the SEC and Big 12 (and I think the ACC now), the winner of each division plays in their conference championship game as a play-in.

2) Mid Majors- Every year the mid majors clamor for respect. As such, there would be 1 spot guaranteed for a mid major team every year. This spot would be voted on by.. well, someone... but for instance, this year, Boise St. would be the 8 seed. This would be a little arbitrary, but could mid majors complain about guaranteed representation?

3) This leaves one spot open. Every year, in every conference, one team has one heartbreaking loss. Thus, there would be a vote for a "second chance team" if you will, voted on by a secret panel of college football "experts"... secret ensuring they not get bribed one way or the other. The one lucky team completes the 8, and really, can these teams complain? Not really because if you don't get in, win your conference next year.

The other bowls stay in tact and you only add two games to the slate. The only problem here is ND since this is a very conference heavy scheme.

The last point here is that unlike the current system, it doesn't hurt teams scheduling tough early season games against out of conference opponents so there should be more games like Texas-OSU this year.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
A few things:

Jim Walden, the guy who voted Florida #1, last coached for Iowa State. So, yeah.

Sounds like Major Applewhite will be the next ISU QB coach. We hired the Stephen F. Austin head coach as our OC, so if anyone knows anything about him other than he's fat, that'd be cool.

I always thought that if we did go with a playoff, it should be 8 teams. An undefeated team always gets an automatic berth (we'll never have more than 4, IMO), while using the BCS rankings to both seed and determine the remaining teams. There's honestly never usually more than 4 teams with a claim, but just in case.

That's how Heads fixes things, anyways.

Major Applewhite, I remember him, cool guy.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
Weighing in on the playoff issue, Krush knows that I have rallied against a playoff for a very long time. I love the bowls and I love seeing the interplay between confrences. That being said, here is my idea for a playoff that I consider to be the only fair way to set it up (bear with me, this is long, but I think worthwhile):

1) Operating much like the BCS, there would be 6 major BCS conferences. Each conference champion gets a spot in the 8 team BCS playoff. In the case of the SEC and Big 12 (and I think the ACC now), the winner of each division plays in their conference championship game as a play-in.

2) Mid Majors- Every year the mid majors clamor for respect. As such, there would be 1 spot guaranteed for a mid major team every year. This spot would be voted on by.. well, someone... but for instance, this year, Boise St. would be the 8 seed. This would be a little arbitrary, but could mid majors complain about guaranteed representation?

3) This leaves one spot open. Every year, in every conference, one team has one heartbreaking loss. Thus, there would be a vote for a "second chance team" if you will, voted on by a secret panel of college football "experts"... secret ensuring they not get bribed one way or the other. The one lucky team completes the 8, and really, can these teams complain? Not really because if you don't get in, win your conference next year.

The other bowls stay in tact and you only add two games to the slate. The only problem here is ND since this is a very conference heavy scheme.

The last point here is that unlike the current system, it doesn't hurt teams scheduling tough early season games against out of conference opponents so there should be more games like Texas-OSU this year.

The problem with that is that some conferences are stronger than others, so you'd be letting in a lot of less-worthy teams. For instance, this year LSU, ND and Wisconsin would all be left out because there is really only one at-large berth under that system (which would obviously go to Michigan).

There's no way the non-BCS school should be automatic, since there's not always a valid candidate, and a team really has to go undefeated to make a valid case. This year it works, but most years the bigger teams aren't quite as weak. Plus I think it needs to include the option to drop an auto-berth if a conference champ has a sub-12 ranking (ie Wake Forest).

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
The problem with that is that some conferences are stronger than others, so you'd be letting in a lot of less-worthy teams. For instance, this year LSU, ND and Wisconsin would all be left out because there is really only one at-large berth under that system (which would obviously go to Michigan).

There's no way the non-BCS school should be automatic, since there's not always a valid candidate, and a team really has to go undefeated to make a valid case. This year it works, but most years the bigger teams aren't quite as weak. Plus I think it needs to include the option to drop an auto-berth if a conference champ has a sub-12 ranking (ie Wake Forest).

Maybe, but it's hard to judge strength of conference. I mean, last year everyone assumed WVA was getting killed in their BCS bowl, but they didn't. My point isn't that this SHOULD be implemented, but that it is the least arbitrary way to have a CFB playoff.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)

Not a chance in hell of that happening.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
We hired the Stephen F. Austin head coach as our OC, so if anyone knows anything about him other than he's fat, that'd be cool.

SFA is our biggest rival and they were pretty bad this year.. thats not saying that much though since our whole conference is pretty bad outside of us

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Not a chance in hell of that happening.

If we're going to go that route, than talking about a playoff is rather pointless as well.

I just don't want to see a mediocre team getting a spot in the playoffs instead of a team like LSU or Wisconsin in that scenario. A top 12 spot shouldn't be that hard to manage most years.

I have always been against a playoff and still am. However, I would be okay with a "plus one" format where 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 plays in the bowls around New Years and the Championship is played a week later.

The only problem with that is they would not share the limelight with the other bowl games, therefore they would play it on the 2nd or 3rd. That would make it difficult to play the Championship the following Saturday (I'm assuming that is when they would want to play it) in some years. Some years that would take it to almost two full weeks before they play it.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
So now I've heard that Saban turned down a 10 year 57 million dollar contract offer from Alabama. That's just ridiculous money if true and would have changed the collegiate pay landscape.

That is way too much money for a coaching job.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
So now I've heard that Saban turned down a 10 year 57 million dollar contract offer from Alabama. That's just ridiculous money if true and would have changed the collegiate pay landscape.

Every reliable source has shot that story down in a hurry. No one is putting ANY stock in it at all. I really think a lot of this is a smokescreen. The word seems to be that some believe Spurrier was never really getting full information from his agent, Jimmy Sexton, because Sexton doesn't think the Alabama job is a good job. They feel like they never really had a chance to present their ideas to him. That being the case, most think the guys closely involved in the search gave up on him a lot sooner than the rumor mill and media did. Not to say some prominent alumni may not have made some overtures, but that he was never really seriously a candidate.

The latest news is that they have been focused on Rodriguez for awhile, but did not push it until WVU's season was over. Apparently Alabama made an official offer today and speculation from both Alabama and West Virginia is that he will accept. Some think a basic agreement could be reached as early as tonight. The offer is rumored to be approx $2 million/year. I know Rodriguez wants to put all of this to bed - either way - before the weekend. They have a big recruiting weekend planned.

Don't be surprised if Rodriguez is named Alabama's new Head Coach at a press conference tomorrow.