Happy taking 1 of 3 from Minnesota

witesoxfan

Mainly cuz I'm always a bit more on the optimistic side, but, even in losing the series, the Sox escape Minnesota with the Wild Card lead. Going into every series you hope for atleast 2 of 3 and want the sweep in everyone of them, but seeing as how they laid a dud against Boof, one almost had to figure a sweep was in order, and that the Sox would not be leading the Wild Card heading to Detroit.

Seeing as how Minnesota is still behind us, the Sox still control their own fate. If they were to go into Detroit and take 3 of 4, it's a guarantee that they're atleast tied for the Wild Card lead, and there's a good chance that they're still up on the Wild Card, along with being only 3.5 out in the division, which is obviously much easier to overcome. If somehow the Sox get lucky and sweep Detroit, not only do they still lead the Wild Card, but the deficit in the division is a meager 1.5 and Detroit heads further into their tailspin.

Also, a positive sign to see is Javy not blowing up late in the game. He did obviously have his blowup early in the game, but to me atleast, it's encouraging that he was able to get through 7 without much other damage going on. The O did absolutely nothing, but not offenses do hit Santana...you're usually lucky to get 2 runs.

There aren't many positives, but I hope this series is similar to the Cleveland series last year where Rally Crede was born. People don't seem to remember that we lost that series, but had we been swept, we would have lost the division lead and who the hell knows what would have happened beyond that point. Given, it was much later in the year, but I tend to view both these series similarily.

Regardless, the next bit of business on the agenda is Detroit. It's not a necessity, but it would be extremely nice if 3 of 4 were taken, and a sweep would be absolutely huge.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
Also, a positive sign to see is Javy not blowing up late in the game. He did obviously have his blowup early in the game, but to me atleast, it's encouraging that he was able to get through 7 without much other damage going on.

Honestly, I thought the same thing even though I kept quiet about it.

Edited by SoxAce

I did not expect to beat Santana and I knew that if we didn't win vs Radke it would have been a sweep. It sucks that we lost the series, but were still ahead one game with the Tigers finally getting into a little slump. We need to capitalize and keep pounding them and shoot their spirits even further down.

We can't beat Santana with our best starter out there so at least they went vs one of our worse.

Hopefully this next big series really gets our guys going on a winning streak. What an 8 game win streak could do for this ballclub.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
Yeah but it still sucks Minnesota swept us at the Cell and won 2-3 in Minnesota.

Not good.

Exactly. Winning 1 of 3 in Minnesota is not good enough, we should have won on Friday, but The offense laid an egg against Boof.

I'll never be happy losing 2 of 3 to anybody. But when you consider we lost to Boof Bonser on Friday, I guess you can say it's a positive that we didn't get swept. I do feel good about this upcoming series with the Tigers. For whatever reason, we have their number. And they're playing worse than we are of late. Just eats me up that we could be 3 1/2 out with a decent chance to actually overtake them if we hadn't laid two eggs against the Royals and lost a very winnable game on Friday.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:18 AM)
Vazquez. Brutal.

He was, and the thing about it was he became effective again once the game had been decided for the most part. I really think Vazquez can't handle high expectations or high pressure situations. Once that pressure is relieved like yesterday when the score went to 5-1 against Santana, or is never there like an April game against the KC Royals, he's an All Star. Most of the other time, you could only hope for mediocre.

We are now 1-5 in our last 6 against the team 1 game behind us for the Wild Card Slot.

There is no possible way to be happy about that performance. If we had done our job in those games and even come out with a split, we'd have 3 times as much breathing room as we do right now.

It is too late in the season to start looking for hope for the future of any sort. If we want to win this season, we have to actually win. Especially against teams who are gunning for us.

Who is this Biff Bonser or Bonzo or whatever. Leave it to Bonzo to win against the Sox. Anyway I'm not happy we lost to the Twinkies. We got outplayed again but Garland shows us why he can be the club ace. I watched that game on WGN and Jon is great.

The only consolation about this weekend is we are still leading the Wild Card. Now with the Tigers and Twins this week lets hope we go at least 5-2.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 01:12 AM)
Exactly. Winning 1 of 3 in Minnesota is not good enough, we should have won on Friday, but The offense laid an egg against Boof.

We suck in the dome, and against Santana and Radke. Im happy we beat Radke, but we should have taken Boof.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
We suck in the dome, and against Santana and Radke. Im happy we beat Radke, but we should have taken Boof.

:stupid

PS RockRaines, who are the hotties in your avatar?

To be quite frank, I'm just hoping we split. The Sox are way too inconsistent to hope for much more than that. Also, the odds say Detroit is due to spank the Sox at some point. This team has been a huge disappointment, because ON PAPER, it looks like the best team in the majors, followed closely by the Skankees, who have all-stars everywhere. I' don't even care if the Sox get swept, provided they win 97 games. I think that's what it's going to take. They need to scratch and claw for every W from here on out.