Game thread Sox(73-50) at Detroit(79-45)

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
It makes absolutely no sense.

Someone else posted my exact thoughts (I'm too lazy to back track on this thread and credit you, sorry :P) concerning McCarthy's odd absence from consistent work.

I wonder if he's currently conducting side-sessions. His work lately has been far too sparse. It's either he's injured, in Guillen's dughouse, or currently pitching on the side.

I realize it's unlikely, but not entirely out of the question. This isn't something you'd want to mention in the media and risk further clubhouse issues.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I still stand by my statement that if we don't make the playoffs, the turning point of this season was Joey Cora sending Iguchi homer on Tuesday night in the 5th inning with 2 outs. Prior to that play, we had our swagger back and were rolling. Immediately after that, Vazquez gave up a 2 run bomb, and we've been playing with no intensity since.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
but...but...but...remember last offseason when some said a team would SURELY overpay for one of our starters near the July trading deadline!!!! That teams overpay for starters midseason!!!!

That didn't work out well, either.

It may turn out after this season concludes the worst move Williams made wasn't standing pat with our roster, but failing to move McCarthy into the rotation.

I think you're right. Trade a dissappointing starter at the deadline for a piece you need, and throw McCarthy into the rotation, at worst the rotation is a wash, and you improve your team. Best case, McCarthy shines and you get some help, ie Soriano.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
I still stand by my statement that if we don't make the playoffs, the turning point of this season was Joey Cora sending Iguchi homer on Tuesday night in the 5th inning with 2 outs. Prior to that play, we had our swagger back and were rolling. Immediately after that, Vazquez gave up a 2 run bomb, and we've been playing with no intensity since.

Noo, I was at that game. :(

Looks and feels like this series will dictate a lot.

QUOTE(SoxnGiants @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
Okay, I couldn't stay away.

Anyone think that AJ might be part of the problem? Some really bizarre pitch selection going on tonight.

Dude, I saw an astonishing stat on AJ. He's thrown out only 18% of baserunners trying to steal.....and there have been 84 attempts on him. Maybe it's AJ, but that's Cooper's job to cut that crap down and TEACH his pitchers how to hold runners better.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:46 PM)
Dude, our pitching sucks. We get it.

So then there were pitchers switching teams that could have helped us. Good job, Kenny. It's depressing to think how much of an overhaul this staff needs for next year.

But yeah, we're locked into these guys for a couple of more years. Awesome!!

AJ -- I think I have a good idea on how to get Monroe out. Throw a fastball, preferable 85-87 MPH, on the inside corner.

I have not seen this bastard, Monroe, hit an opposite field shot against us ALL YEAR.

OMFG. Look at his hit chart at Comerica. HE HASN'T HIT A f***ING OPPOSITE FIELD SHOT ALL YEAR AT COMERICA.

Why this team INSISTS on pitching him inside, and going away to slap hitters like Vance Wilson, Jason Tyner, and Pudge Rodriguez is BEYOND ME. This is absolutely un-f***ing-real.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:47 AM)
Dude, I saw an astonishing stat on AJ. He's thrown out only 18% of baserunners trying to steal.....and there have been 84 attempts on him. Maybe it's AJ, but that's Cooper's job to cut that crap down and TEACH his pitchers how to hold runners better.

We're a terrible fundamental team in almost every aspect. It's amazing the combo of Thome/PK/Dye/Crede/Jenks have carried us as far as they have.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)

Contreras and Garcia, its an automatic SB. Buerhle picks guys off or they don't run. The only shot AJ gets is Garland and Vazquez. His 18%, all things considered, including his puss arm, is actually pretty good.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
Someone else posted my exact thoughts (I'm too lazy to back track on this thread and credit you, sorry :P) concerning McCarthy's odd absence from consistent work.

I wonder if he's currently conducting side-sessions. His work lately has been far too sparse. It's either he's injured, in Guillen's dughouse, or currently pitching on the side.

I realize it's unlikely, but not entirely out of the question. This isn't something you'd want to mention in the media and risk further clubhouse issues.

Ozzie is too stubborn to put Bmac in. Remember last year he decided to use Timo at 1st base, instead of calling up Gload. In his revisionist history Bmac was bad last year, Timo was great, and we won everythin due to him resting our starters every other game.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
Jose's ERA at 4.04 now. This has got to be some kinda record. How does every returning starter from a World Series championship team come back worse the following year? And we can't even pla the injury card.

Knock on wood, but we have to have had the least injury issues of any team in baseball this year.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
AJ -- I think I have a good idea on how to get Monroe out. Throw a fastball, preferable 85-87 MPH, on the inside corner.

I have not seen this bastard, Monroe, hit an opposite field shot against us ALL YEAR.

OMFG. Look at his hit chart at Comerica. HE HASN'T HIT A f***ING OPPOSITE FIELD SHOT ALL YEAR AT COMERICA.

Why this team INSISTS on pitching him inside, and going away to slap hitters like Vance Wilson, Jason Tyner, and Pudge Rodriguez is BEYOND ME. This is absolutely un-f***ing-real.

LOL. You and I were two of the more optimistic guys around here all year. Look what this team has done to us.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
Ozzie is too stubborn to put Bmac in. Remember last year he decided to use Timo at 1st base, instead of calling up Gload. In his revisionist history Bmac was bad last year, Timo was great, and we won everythin due to him resting our starters every other game.

I think it helped. Nobody got injured.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
Jose's ERA at 4.04 now. This has got to be some kinda record. How does every returning starter from a World Series championship team come back worse the following year? And we can't even pla the injury card.

If they don't make the playoffs, I think we will be hearing about numerous non-reported injuries.