Are you in or are you out?

Kid Gleason

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
We BLEW a FIFTEEN GAME LEAD yet last years team keeps being referrered to as one the the greatest...???

It boggles my mind.

We did not blow a fifteen game lead last year. Cleveland played out of their minds the 2nd half of last year.

What we did do was lead the Central Division wire to wire. How many teams have done that? We also romped through the competition in the playoffs and went 11-1 against the best teams out there (including 4 straight complete game victories, which is unheard of these days). Only 1 other team can say that they did that.

We did this as a complete team. You cannot point to 1 or 2 people as the catalysts for doing all of that who just pulled the rest along to the championship. It was one of the best "teams" I have seen (I am not that old though).

This year, we are missing that pitching part of the team, but we can still make the playoffs by the offense carrying us. It is not nearly as complete of a team as last year.

Sorry for the derailment. As mentioned above, I am in with this team as far as making the playoffs.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
Last year's team was one that could obviously win it all if it made the playoffs, but they looked so much like a team that was pulling an epic choke job (15 games to 1.5 isn't very good). I honestly thought that team was going to screw us all and miss the playoffs, but the day they clinched not pulling that off I thought we'd win it all. If this team clinches a playoff spot, I'll expect a 1st round exit unless the starting pitchers remember how to do their job.

NO, it wasn't that obvious AT ALL.

And if (more likely when, I believe) we make it to the playoffs, I like our chances once again.

In-ish.

I'd say the chances of a Wild Card berth are probably 65-35, but I don't see us making much noise in the playoffs. I don't see the same spark, I don't see the same fire, I don't see the same magic.

But then again, I get to watch like 8 games a year (even on TV) - so what the hell do I really know?

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
In-ish.

I'd say the chances of a Wild Card berth are probably 65-35, but I don't see us making much noise in the playoffs. I don't see the same spark, I don't see the same fire, I don't see the same magic.

But then again, I get to watch like 8 games a year (even on TV) - so what the hell do I really know?

Yeah but......once in the playoffs I guarantee our guys would be just as jacked as everyone else, this is just a grinding part of a long season. I don't think any playoff team has ever just laid down, even the Skanks after their 3peat from 98-00?

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
Yeah but......once in the playoffs I guarantee our guys would be just as jacked as everyone else, this is just a grinding part of a long season. I don't think any playoff team has ever just laid down, even the Skanks after their 3peat from 98-00?

Yep. Everyone seems to forget how s***ty we were looking the second half of last year.

Just get to the playoffs, and anything can happen. This team has the players (damn you, SPs) to do it.

Yes, its an ugly stat, but I think all of us know this team is playing well below expectations. However, all that said I think it needs to be pointed out that any other year we'd have gladly excepted this record and where we were at this point of the season.

The team is right in the thick of things and has a ton of talent. The problem is after last season expecations were raised and a lot of us were expecting more, namely from the starting pitching.

That has yet to happen and while the offense has been able to put the team on its back for most of the season, it was inevitable that it too would hit a dry spell and when that happened we'd hit a funk. Its happened and now Ozzie has to hope that the pitching will be able to semi come around and do enough to get this team into the playoffs where there experience could maybe do something (especially since no team, not named the Tigers, has a top notch rotation; the Angels are the exceptoin and they won't make the playoffs and if the A's get Harden back they could have the top rotation).