Series Preview: White Sox vs. Twins

Chisoxfn

Series Preview: White Sox vs Twins

By Zach Hansen

Soxtalk.com

After a disappointing 3-4 road trip, where the White Sox lost ground in both the Central and Wild Card races, the Palehose return to Chicago to open a six-game homestand. The Sox will need to quickly right what was wrong away from the friendly confines of the Cell, as the Minnesota Twins are on the Southside for three critical games this weekend.

August 25, 26, 27 @ U.S. Cellular Field

Probable Starters:

Chicago White Sox

LF Scott Podsednik

2B Tadahito Iguchi

DH Jim Thome

1B Paul Konerko

RF Jermaine Dye

C A.J. Pierzynski

3B Joe Crede

SS Juan Uribe

CF Brian Anderson

Minnesota Twins

2B Luis Castillo

LF Jason Tyner

C Joe Mauer

RF Michael Cuddyer

1B Justin Morneau

CF Torii Hunter

DH Jason Kubel

3B Luis Rodriguez

SS Jason Bartlett

Pitching Probables:

Aug 25, 7:35 PM: Javier Vazquez (11-8, 5.13) vs. Brad Radke (12-9, 4.35)

Aug 26, 6:05 PM: Jose Contreras (11-6, 4.04) vs. Johan Santana (15-5, 3.03)

Aug 27, 1:05 PM: Mark Buehrle (10-11, 4.87) vs. Carlos Silva (8-10, 6.45)

Last Ten Games:

White Sox: 4-6

Twins: 6-4

Who's Hot/Who's Not:

For the Sox to have a strong performance against Minnesota, right fielder Jermaine Dye will have to continue to post strong numbers against the division rivals. In 11 games against the Twins, Dye has a .317 batting average, along with four home runs, and

14 RBIs.

Jim Thome has put up some impressive numbers in his first season with the Sox; however, it is no thanks to his performance against the Twins. Thome has just a .213 BA against Minnesota, in 13 games.

Sox pitchers will be expected to contain Twins’ first baseman/Sox killer Justin Morneau throughout the weekend. With a .313 batting average, three homers, and 13 RBIs, Morneau has burned the Sox all season.

The Sox best chance of a win will come on Sunday when Carlos Silva takes the mound for Minnesota. In four starts in August, Silva is 1-2 with a 6.26, having given up 16 earned runs in 23 innings of work.

Soxtalk Breakdown:

Sox fans and broadcaster Hawk Harrelson have wondered all season long when Chicago would catch their stride and go on to play the winning baseball that was expected of the team going into spring training. The winning stride has been missing in action, entering the final games of August. Inconsistent starting pitching and an incredible dependence on the long ball has hurt the Sox in 2006. Pitching match-ups in this series slightly favor Minnesota, and that may be all the difference needed to beat the Sox right now. However, the Sox have gone the way of unpredictable all season and could surprise to take the series.

Soxtalk Prediction:

The Sox find a way to take two of three from the Twins.

I know some people said this series was a statement or that the series finale was a statement. Yes, we played well these final two games (although only one was well pitched).

However, we've had games where we play well, the problem is we can't string anything together because our rotation is a bunch of holes and Jon Garland.

A real statement would be coming back home and sweeping the Twins thanks in large part to 3 quality starts from our guys. I realize it won't be easy to do, but until we get consistent quality starts this team is still the same team its been all season, a team with an awful rotation and a tremendous offense that will lose when it goes up against a good pitcher unless Jon Garland is pitching or Jose actually decides to show up.

I hate to be the Debbie Downer of the bunch but its the facts of life and when your pitching sucks you have a hell of a time ever distancing yourself from the pack and being able to go on a serious streak. I'm going to be the optimist and hope we can come out and start really rolling out some starts.

Prior to the twins series this weekend it looked as if we were on our way to that, but than we had a bit of a hiccup, but maybe that was just a kink and we'll get back out there and get some more QS's.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
This is going to be a tough series. Vazquez HAS to pitch well, and it would be nice to see Contreras twirl a gem and make Santana sweat. Chalk would be the Sox will do well to win 1, but I think they will win at least 2 of these games.

The problem is the Twins execute well and Contreras and Vaz are two guys that can be beaten even if they pitch good because they can't hold runners and they tend to let the opposition get in there heads. Both obviously have the stuff to succeed and Jose has at times been dominate in a Sox uniform (while Vaz really hasn't) but bottom line I'm always scared when we play the Twins and don't have both of Garland/Buehrle going because those are the only two guys in our rotation that can field there position, prevent walks, and prevent guys that get on 1st from automatically reaching 2nd.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
I know some people said this series was a statement or that the series finale was a statement. Yes, we played well these final two games (although only one was well pitched).

However, we've had games where we play well, the problem is we can't string anything together because our rotation is a bunch of holes and Jon Garland.

A real statement would be coming back home and sweeping the Twins thanks in large part to 3 quality starts from our guys. I realize it won't be easy to do, but until we get consistent quality starts this team is still the same team its been all season, a team with an awful rotation and a tremendous offense that will lose when it goes up against a good pitcher unless Jon Garland is pitching or Jose actually decides to show up.

I hate to be the Debbie Downer of the bunch but its the facts of life and when your pitching sucks you have a hell of a time ever distancing yourself from the pack and being able to go on a serious streak. I'm going to be the optimist and hope we can come out and start really rolling out some starts.

Prior to the twins series this weekend it looked as if we were on our way to that, but than we had a bit of a hiccup, but maybe that was just a kink and we'll get back out there and get some more QS's.

Well said, Jas. I'd love to get excited. It's hard to do that when you have no idea what you're gonna get from 4 of your 5 starters. The Twins have flat kicked our asses the last two times we've played them. If we get swept again, or even lose 2 out of 3, it might be time to concede. I hate to say that. And LMAO@Debbie the downer.

I know the Twins are good, but it has grown way old getting killed

by them.

I wouldn't mind seeing our Game One starter plunk a Twin in the first inning.

That way our pitcher won't get tossed; the Twin will when he retaliates and

might instill some fire.

Then again ... maybe we just need to pitch and play defense and the wins will

start to take care of themselves without beanings.

I guess what I'm trying to say is ... whatever it takes, sweep the Twins.

They have OWNED us and it's growin' old cause they do not have a better

team than the Sox.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
I know the Twins are good, but it has grown way old getting killed

by them.

I wouldn't mind seeing our Game One starter plunk a Twin in the first inning.

That way our pitcher won't get tossed; the Twin will when he retaliates and

might instill some fire.

Then again ... maybe we just need to pitch and play defense and the wins will

start to take care of themselves without beanings.

I guess what I'm trying to say is ... whatever it takes, sweep the Twins.

They have OWNED us and it's growin' old cause they do not have a better

team than the Sox.

It was easier to accept in '01, '02 and '04 (I still think we had the better team in '03). It's unacceptable now. We've got a better team on paper in every area ('pens are about even). We've got to step up and show these guys that we're not their little b****es.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Well said, Jas. I'd love to get excited. It's hard to do that when you have no idea what you're gonna get from 4 of your 5 starters. The Twins have flat kicked our asses the last two times we've played them. If we get swept again, or even lose 2 out of 3, it might be time to concede. I hate to say that. And LMAO@Debbie the downer.

Dude, after this series there are still 32 games to play. If they get swept they're only half a game back. It would be big if they got swept, but the season is not over, not by a long shot

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
Dude, after this series there are still 32 games to play. If they get swept they're only half a game back. It would be big if they got swept, but the season is not over, not by a long shot

Depending on how the Twins/Orioles game turns out tonight...if the Twins were to sweep the White Sox this weekend, they would either be 1.5 games ahead in the Wild Card or 2.5 games ahead, not 0.5

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
I hate to be the Debbie Downer of the bunch

I knew Debbie Downer.

I dated Debbie Downer.

You sir, are no Debbie Downer.

But you are correct - we can't overcome inconsistent, crappy pitching. Either they show up and start playing better ball or this team is going to be out of it weeks before the final series in Minny.

Nobody needs to be a Debbie Downer. The Sox are 11-5 vs Detroit this year so far. Not bad, now lets improve our yearly record vs those pesky Twins! Im expecting 2 of 3! But a sweep would be awesome! But with Johan pitching saturday, i dont like our chances haha.

Our record vs the pirahna by the way is 6-7. Lets make it 8-8 or better yet 9-7! GO SOX!

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)

We're 1-5 in our last 6 against the Twins. We need to step up and show something against these guys. I think another ass whoopin' by them would be psychologically damaging. Don't forget we've got 3 games up in their place to finish the year. If we can't beat the Twins, we're not goin' to the playoffs.

I'm not normally big on "must win" series, figuring there are tons of games left.

But since we are the defending champs and these chumps have dominated us

the last two times we met, including a sweep at the Cell, I'm thinking this really

is do or die.

If they sweep us again, that frankly will be pretty pathetic.

We owe them a sweep.

And find a way to win all 3. Even against the best pitcher in the history of baseball

or whatever Santana is considered these days.

If we get swept, I am not saying we're done, but it will be

pretty pathetic.

I guess w/out Thome, we're hosed, but we still should win 1 game, preferably all

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)

Very very true, it's easy to feel good after today's blowout, but in yesterday's game, like Tim Kurchin said on Baseball Tonight, 'yeah, you won the game but Freddy and Thorton giving up big hits means we have to score 7 to win, not cause for feeling good.' We have Javy, Jose, and Buehrle coming up, and there's every reason to fear getting swept this weekend against a hot hitting team that just happens to historically have our number, as much as it pains me to say it.....I fully expect to cussing at my TV en force this weekend wondering why we couldn't put a spanking on them coming off a 10-0 blowout

I agree it doesn't look good after reading the USA Today article on the Twins in

Friday's section.

The Twins are on an amazing roll and no sign of slowing down.

We simply have to play aggressively and find a way to win.

If we don't get down and dirty, we're gonna get swept.

If we lose 3 in a row at home I think we're pretty much dead.

Even with Thome out, if we don't have the pride to win this series, we just

ain't got what it takes to repeat.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
I'm not normally big on "must win" series, figuring there are tons of games left.

But since we are the defending champs and these chumps have dominated us

the last two times we met, including a sweep at the Cell, I'm thinking this really

is do or die.

If they sweep us again, that frankly will be pretty pathetic.

We owe them a sweep.

And find a way to win all 3. Even against the best pitcher in the history of baseball

or whatever Santana is considered these days.

If we get swept, I am not saying we're done, but it will be

pretty pathetic.

I guess w/out Thome, we're hosed, but we still should win 1 game, preferably all

You got it backwards, with Thome out we got a better chance. He can't hit lefties if his life depended on it.