I have an idea to help Sox starting pitching

UC76

We should start Garland everyday. I think this is just crazy enough to work. What do you think?

But seriously, when will Garland's name be thrown into the Cy Young talk? 15-4, baby. I realize Santana, Halladay, etc. will have to pick up some losses and that Garland will have to lower his ERA, but I'd like to see his name at least mentioned. (Same goes for Dye in the MVP talk.)

Garland's teammates can help his cause by knocking around Santana this weekend.

For so long people have tried to ship Garland out of town.

Even after last year, he was the first person people wanted to see gone this off-season.

Perhaps the greatest break the Sox got this year was when they signed Garland there was a no trade clause for this year. Because basically without Garland the Sox would be around 5 games out of the WC, let alone challanging for a division.

QUOTE(rowand @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
Jon is this years Jose.

and

Yes, Jon Garland has the most wins in the MLB over the last 2 years. That would make him the best starter in baseball. Think about it, the goal is to win the game, and he has won the most over the last 2 seasons. He is the best starting pitcher in the MLB.

I believe he's tied with Carpenter with 33.

QUOTE(UC76 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
We should start Garland everyday. I think this is just crazy enough to work. What do you think?

But seriously, when will Garland's name be thrown into the Cy Young talk? 15-4, baby. I realize Santana, Halladay, etc. will have to pick up some losses and that Garland will have to lower his ERA, but I'd like to see his name at least mentioned. (Same goes for Dye in the MVP talk.)

Garland's teammates can help his cause by knocking around Santana this weekend.

There's no PHAWKIN' way he will be even mentioned with those pitchers until his ERA gets under 4. He would have to go 22 and 4 AND Halladay would have to end up with 2 or 3 wins fewer to have a shot at it. As far as Dye goes, he's getting the short end of the stick. Do you realize his numbers are where they are and he's been hitting 5th all year. That's unbefreakin'lievable! He's definitely not getting his due. Had he been hitting 3rd in the lineup his numbers would be in the stratosphere. I must admit, Jeter would have to have a sub-par September and Dye would have to go on a huge tare to be given equal consideration.

Edited by cgaudin

QUOTE(rowand @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
Jon is this years Jose.

and

Yes, Jon Garland has the most wins in the MLB over the last 2 years. That would make him the best starter in baseball. Think about it, the goal is to win the game, and he has won the most over the last 2 seasons. He is the best starting pitcher in the MLB.

No, no it wouldn't. It would make him a pitcher on the best team in baseball over those 2 years.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
There's no PHAWKIN' way he will be even mentioned with those pitchers until his ERA gets under 4. He would have to go 22 and 4 AND Halladay would have to end up with 2 or 3 wins fewer to have a shot at it. As far as Dye goes, he's getting the short end of the stick. Do you realize his numbers are where they are and he's been hitting 5th all year. That's unbefreakin'lievable! He's definitely not getting his due. Had he been hitting 3rd in the lineup his numbers would be in the stratosphere. I must admit, Jeter would have to have a sub-par September and Dye would have to go on a huge tare to be given equal consideration.

Thome and Konerko are on base more than Pods and Iguchi. And right now, Ortiz is the guy to beat for the MVP, not Jeter.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
There's no PHAWKIN' way he will be even mentioned with those pitchers until his ERA gets under 4. He would have to go 22 and 4 AND Halladay would have to end up with 2 or 3 wins fewer to have a shot at it.

Yes, I agree. I wasn't suggesting Garland should win the award. I just wish his name would at least be mentioned, especially if he can get his ERA under 4. He has allowed 1 earned run or less in 7 of his last 10 starts. If he can keep up that current pace and reach 20 wins, then I would just like to see his name somewhere on the list of candidates. Nobody ever mentions him.

I realize the Cy Young is going to Santana or Halladay barring any huge surprises.

Besides, I also just wanted to start a positive thread. There is so much doom and gloom of late.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
For so long people have tried to ship Garland out of town.

Even after last year, he was the first person people wanted to see gone this off-season.

Perhaps the greatest break the Sox got this year was when they signed Garland there was a no trade clause for this year. Because basically without Garland the Sox would be around 5 games out of the WC, let alone challanging for a division.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I didnt think there was anyway we would give keep him around but combine his recent success with his age and we got pretty luck that well have him around for a while.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
That 4.47 era puts him right in the cy young race.

Keep in mind that it's a sharply declining 4.47 ERA that was 4.98 2 starts ago. If he continues at that pace, a 3.50 or even lower ERA could be possible. I doubt he will, but something in the mid-high 3s is certainly a decent possiblity now. If he ends up with an ERA under 4 and 20+ wins, he'd be right in the thick of things.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
That 4.47 era puts him right in the cy young race.

And decresing a ton. Tell that to Bartolo Colon who basically won it off wins, (with his "steller" 3.48 era [close to 4]) whereas Johan Santana was better than him in alomst every other category. ;) I've actually thought alot about Garland winning the Cy Young this season which would be something considering his horrific start this year. IMO, The Cy Young these days are just like the Gold Glove award. For the gold glove they basically see the offense more than the defense and The Cy Young sees more of the wins than the era. If Garland wins about 4-5 more games and gets his era around the early 4's late 3's, he has a great shot. (especially since Liriano is injured, etc..)

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
And decresing a ton. Tell that to Bartolo Colon who basically won it off wins, (with his "steller" 3.48 era [close to 4]) whereas Johan Santana was better than him in alomst every other category. ;) I've actually thought alot about Garland winning the Cy Young this season which would be something considering his horrific start this year. IMO, The Cy Young these days are just like the Gold Glove award. For the gold glove they basically see the offense more than the defense and The Cy Young sees more of the wins than the era. If Garland wins about 4-5 more games and gets his era around the early 4's late 3's, he has a great shot. (especially since Liriano is injured, etc..)

3.48 is nowhere near 4 in terms of ERA. And if that's your argument for Garland receiving the Cy Young, then you're really stretching.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)

Talk to me when Jon gets his era well under 4. He's not even close to the cy young race right now, that being said if he continues to absolutely dominate and ends up with an era around 3 and a half with 20 wins then ya throw him in the cy young race. That ain't happening though.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
Keep in mind that it's a sharply declining 4.47 ERA that was 4.98 2 starts ago. If he continues at that pace, a 3.50 or even lower ERA could be possible. I doubt he will, but something in the mid-high 3s is certainly a decent possiblity now. If he ends up with an ERA under 4 and 20+ wins, he'd be right in the thick of things.

Unless the math that people have done in other threads is wrong, no it isn't possible.