Jimbo's in danger of closing!!!

southsider2k5

Anyone know what we can do to help???

Last call threatens Jimbo's

A restaurant favored by White Sox players and fans alike may have to shut down

By David Haugh

Tribune staff reporter

Published August 31, 2006

One of the stories shared Wednesday at Jimbo's over a beer and an Italian beef involved the night a few regulars had to talk former White Sox manager Terry Bevington into going home at closing time because his team had a game later that day.

Another tale told of the time, recently, when owner Joe Levato--a.k.a. "Jimbo"--carded baby-faced Sox pitchers Brandon McCarthy and Bobby Jenks at the door out of habit.

They also recalled ex-Sox general manager Ron Schueler bellying up to the bar enough to claim his own stool and ex-Sox outfielder Aaron Rowand's weakness for Joyce Levato's homemade meatball sandwiches.

Then there were all the nights Ozzie Guillen and Joey Cora, as Sox players and later as the team's brain trust, unwound after games with teammates and coaches. And they still brag about the day actor Keanu Reeves stopped by while in town shooting a movie.

Nostalgia was on tap before the Sox game against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and it flowed freely after word spread that the owner of the building at 33rd and Princeton had ordered Levato to close his doors after Sept. 30.

In an area of Bridgeport where the pickings are slim for social gathering spots before and after games at U.S. Cellular Field, the place that became a Sox fan's landmark might be a month away from becoming history.

"I'm devastated," Levato said. "I can't explain it."

Levato, 70, received a letter from landlord Ray Degrazia on Aug. 26 formalizing plans to terminate the lease with Jimbo's, a neighborhood watering hole with more regulars than can fit in the Sox dugout. The letter stated that if Levato wanted to operate the business he has run for 22 years into October in the event the Sox made the playoffs, he could consult his attorney for permission.

Beyond that letter, Levato has not been able to reach Degrazia or Degrazia's attorney to discuss the matter further.

"My dad has worked too hard and meant too much to this neighborhood that he should walk away on his own terms," said Joey Levato, the son of "Jimbo" who manages the bar. "We still don't know why. All we can figure is we were making too much money."

Several family members of Degrazia contacted said the building owner would not be available for comment until later this week. An employee at the pizzeria next door to Jimbo's, in the same building Degrazia bought in 1988 for $115,000, according to real estate documents, said he had no way of reaching him.

Levato's attorney, John Winters, says he has been told that Degrazia and his wife plan on opening their own establishment on the site, and if that doesn't work, condominiums.

One of the longtime patrons eating in Jimbo's outdoor cafe feared the owner planned to turn the corner into another trendy coffee chain, which would be almost as bad as a Cubs merchandise store to longtime neighborhood residents.

Whatever Degrazia's plans, the Levatos plan to challenge them.

"We're definitely not just walking away after all these years," said "Jimbo" Levato, born and raised within a block of his business. "We'll fight it all we can fight it. I think we owe these people that much."

The people who began coming in droves, especially since the bar began letting customers dine outside four years ago. The people Joyce Levato referred to as family as she fought back tears. Those people feel prepared to pay their debt of gratitude too.

"I don't know the politics of it, but if they think they're going to put another place here and we're all going to show up, that's not going to happen," said Ryan Hopkins, a Sox season ticket-holder who has been coming since 1990. "We won't support it. I'm sad and angry it would come to this. Sox games wouldn't be the same without Jimbo's."

Steve Fugaj and his wife, Robin, had the same thought driving to Wednesday's game from their home in Hegewisch. Not necessarily regulars at The Cell, the Fugajs determined to find out what all the fuss was about and were drawn in by the bustle along 33rd Street two hours before the first pitch.

"For something this busy and popular to go away, after all these years, it's as surprising as it is sad," said Steve Fugaj, a paramedic supervisor for the Chicago Fire Department. "It doesn't make any sense."

Joey Levato did not disclose how much the family was paying per month to operate Jimbo's part of the building but insisted they never had been late or delinquent with their rent. The family attributes the steady rise in profits to the addition of outdoor dining even more than the buzz created by last October's World Series run when Jimbo's reputation peaked.

During and immediately after the sweep against the Houston Astros, local and national media outlets parked reporters on barstools to take the South Side's temperature at the hottest spot in Soxdom.

Since McCuddy's closed in 1989 to make room for the new ballpark, Jimbo's gradually grew into what Joey Levato likes to call "the anti-Cubby Bear." Now the bar even has a Web site and sells T-shirts and hats bearing its logo.

"Before Jimbo's got going, all we'd do is drive here and drive home," said Ed Hopkins, Ryan's father from Oak Lawn. "Look at it now."

With the jukebox famous for its Frank Sinatra tunes blaring Wednesday night, Sox fans stood shoulder to shoulder inside the bar debating Jermaine Dye's MVP chances and the Detroit Tigers' pitching. The only place better for true Sox fans might have been behind home plate at The Cell.

The warmth represented quite a change from the days when the bar was perceived to be stuck in a dangerous, racially charged part of town after the highly publicized beating of Lenard Clark at nearby Armour Square Park in 1997 and the fight 1 1/2 blocks away involving former WMVP-AM talk-show host Bill Simonson in 2000.

"When we opened 22 years ago, people said we wouldn't make it and the neighborhood was too bad, but I proved them different," Levato said. "The people have made this place."

The people want to help make it stay.

"Maybe if I bet big on Notre Dame to beat Georgia Tech [saturday], I could win enough money to buy this place for [Jimbo]," Ryan Hopkins said, smiling. "We have to do something. It's too important."

----------

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to Jimbo about this a little on Tuesday night and I'll see him again today to discuss. It's not final, but it doesn't look good. I know many don't like Jimbo's, but it's been a staple for 20 years of my fan career and if it closes it will be a very sad day. Jim asked a few "friends" downtown, but since it's not a license issue there isn't much to do other than appeal to the building owner. A few folks have suggested mass media pleading and a petition. But like I said, it's a personal thing so I don't know if that would have any impact.

Talk to Jimbo, and ask him if he wants our help! If there is anything Soxtalk is good at, it is pounding the pavement to get something done.

In the meantime, just let it be known right now if Ray Degrazia decides to open up his own little bar in place of Jimbo's, he might as well not even waste his time, because no real Sox fan will ever even piss in there.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 07:45 AM)
Talk to Jimbo, and ask him if he wants our help! If there is anything Soxtalk is good at, it is pounding the pavement to get something done.

In the meantime, just let it be known right now if Ray Degrazia decides to open up his own little bar in place of Jimbo's, he might as well not even waste his time, because no real Sox fan will ever even piss in there.

I just think that the best thing to do would be to show support. The media is going to be out there every home game getting reaction. And the angrier the fans are and demand that Jimbo's stay open is the best chance they have - at least to stay open for the playoffs this year. Jimbo has called Ray's attny everyday since getting the letter and they don't even have the courtesy to call back. And you are right about Ray opening something else up. It wont be pretty if he does. Anyone new will be screwed there.

Damn, damn, damn.

On the other hand, it is hard to argue with a property owner that wishes to use his property in a legal manner. Unless the owner is looking to sell the building as condos, I think it's a bad business decision. But, like others have said, another place will have a hard time of it for the first year. I use to believe places like this can not be replaced, but time has proven they can be.

Dye takes over for Maggs, Thome takes over for Thomas, Another bar takes over for Jimbo's. Time marches on.

Another thought, Chicago being Chicago and the city I love, Jimbo's friends downtown could mention the difficulties in passing inspections that *could* happen if Jimbo's wasn't there. Not that anything like that would ever happen in the city.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:02 AM)
Damn, damn, damn.

On the other hand, it is hard to argue with a property owner that wishes to use his property in a legal manner. Unless the owner is looking to sell the building as condos, I think it's a bad business decision. But, like others have said, another place will have a hard time of it for the first year. I use to believe places like this can not be replaced, but time has proven they can be.

Dye takes over for Maggs, Thome takes over for Thomas, Another bar takes over for Jimbo's. Time marches on.

Another thought, Chicago being Chicago and the city I love, Jimbo's friends downtown could mention the difficulties in passing inspections that *could* happen if Jimbo's wasn't there. Not that anything like that would ever happen in the city.

Ray, being "friends" with "all the right people" will have no issue with inspections. The public will have to fight this battle.

Couldn't Jimbo just find another spot and re-open? His place needs a makeover anyway. This kind of stuff happens everyday, and its the landlord's right to do what he's doing. Personally, I think if they fix it up and open their own restaurant/bar, it probably will do fine. I could understand Jimbo's frustration, as now the crowds come, he maximizes profit and loses his lease.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:18 AM)
Couldn't Jimbo just find another spot and re-open? His place needs a makeover anyway. This kind of stuff happens everyday, and its the landlord's right to do what he's doing. Personally, I think if they fix it up and open their own restaurant/bar, it probably will do fine. I could understand Jimbo's frustration, as now the crowds come, he maximizes profit and loses his lease.

Of course.

Someone said the landlord is doing something wrong?

Maybe he would, but it being where it is, IMO, is key to the success.

I think the anger is more because of the kind and generous ONE month notice. Jim and Joyce secured their retirement fund long ago, so it's not about having to work.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)
Of course.

Someone said the landlord is doing something wrong?

Maybe he would, but it being where it is, IMO, is key to the success.

I think the anger is more because of the kind and generous ONE month notice. Jim and Joyce secured their retirement fund long ago, so it's not about having to work.

This story has been all over the internet and was on the Score for more than a month. Jimbo has known its been coming for a while now. The August 26 date was just the formality.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
This story has been all over the internet and was on the Score for more than a month. Jimbo has known its been coming for a while now. The August 26 date was just the formality.

The possibility has been being talked about for over a year now. The date was not told. Ray initially said after Christmas back in March.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
The possibility has been being talked about for over a year now. The date was not told. Ray initially said after Christmas back in March.

A guy on the whitesox.com message board posted August 10th that Jimbo's would be closing October 1st, with a possibility of remaining open for the playoffs. I'm sure Jimbo knew before a guy posting on a message board. Besides what's really the difference between the end of the baseball season and Christmas to Jimbo? The article stated that the outdoor patio is what fuels the place. I don't think many people would be using that in November or December. I have no idea, but what kind of business does Jimbo do on non-game days?

Edited by Dick Allen

What "Jimbo" (or rather, his son) should do is invest money into space on the East Side of the Dan Ryan. Unless there's some vacant location in close proximity to the part I'm unware of, it wouldn't be a terrible idea. Hell, it may be several years before the area is built up, but pick in ideal spot and he'll be right in the middle of a huge economic rebirth.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
A guy on the whitesox.com message board posted August 10th that Jimbo's would be closing October 1st, with a possibility of remaining open for the playoffs. I'm sure Jimbo knew before a guy posting on a message board.

Wow...

It was a rumor. There were about 3,642 dates being talked about. The official notice was not sent until this week. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Ray was telling everyone but Jim and Joyce. He's like that.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:40 AM)
Just sayin', if I was Jimbo, and let's say I was getting close to retirement age, and wanting to get out. This would be the best possible scenario.

I agree, I just wonder what kind of role his son plays in this. Maybe the plan was to turn it over to him.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:40 AM)
What "Jimbo" (or rather, his son) should do is invest money into space on the East Side of the Dan Ryan. Unless there's some vacant location in close proximity to the part I'm unware of, it wouldn't be a terrible idea. Hell, it may be several years before the area is built up, but pick in ideal spot and he'll be right in the middle of a huge economic rebirth.

If this goes down I think they will just make their retirement place their perm place.

Interestingly, IIT is part of the plans for all that land from 35th south, just east of the Ryan. And part of their plan is for a courtyard of restaurants, bars and shops, near 35th. May not be a bad idea to get in on an early anchor lease. Problem is, there would be a gap of a year or two where they wouldn't be open.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
Interestingly, IIT is part of the plans for all that land from 35th south, just east of the Ryan. And part of their plan is for a courtyard of restaurants, bars and shops, near 35th. May not be a bad idea to get in on an early anchor lease. Problem is, there would be a gap of a year or two where they wouldn't be open.

The condo plan has been "in the works" for over 2 years already now. For whatever reason they are in no rush to get the project going.

Bingo!!

Good to hear but WTF took them so long? I've watched the once (somewhat) bustling commercial strip of Halsted St. shrivel up while USCF turned into a suburban-style tailgater's paradise. Truly depressing. The mayor and the whole rest of the city gets the Urbanism thing, why does Daley's team and 'hood not?

I saw this on the news this morning and was shocked. Jimbo's is a dump, but it's our dump.

That said, let me save all the do-gooders here some time: forget it. Jimbo's is history. The landlord is totally connected (city-wise) and there is absolutely no way Jimbo's is going to survive.

This reminds me of what happened to CBGBs in New York--unfortunately, sentimentality is trumped by reality.

Get into Jimbo's this month, enjoy it, and say goodbye. It's a goner.

Maybe they'll open a new place, maybe not. But what a focking shame that there will no longer be a Sox bar just outside the park. Now THAT is criminal.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
Good to hear but WTF took them so long? I've watched the once (somewhat) bustling commercial strip of Halsted St. shrivel up while USCF turned into a suburban-style tailgater's paradise. Truly depressing. The mayor and the whole rest of the city gets the Urbanism thing, why does Daley's team and 'hood not?

The Sox don't have anything to do with this.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I saw this on the news this morning and was shocked. Jimbo's is a dump, but it's our dump.

That said, let me save all the do-gooders here some time: forget it. Jimbo's is history. The landlord is totally connected (city-wise) and there is absolutely no way Jimbo's is going to survive.

This reminds me of what happened to CBGBs in New York--unfortunately, sentimentality is trumped by reality.

Get into Jimbo's this month, enjoy it, and say goodbye. It's a goner.

Maybe they'll open a new place, maybe not. But what a focking shame that there will no longer be a Sox bar just outside the park. Now THAT is criminal.

That pretty much sums it up. We knew it was comming. I just wish Ray would wait until the end of the year. Especially for the playoffs.