Question about Muscle Soreness.

Rex Kickass

I went to the gym and lifted weights on Tuesday. I did bicep curls and a little more than I've done in the past. I felt the burn when I was lifting but it wasn't unbearable. Wednesday morning, I woke up and my arms were sore! Around the elbow where they usually get sore, especially the left one. It hurt to straighten my arms out. Yesterday, the pain got a little worse on the right and a lot worse on the left. I Icy Hotted both arms overnight. Today, the soreness is fading in my right arm but any arm movement on my left still kills. The pain yesterday seemed centered just above my left elbow, today it seems centered just below it.

Did I strain, pull, tear a muscle or three? Or am I just "normal sore" from working out harder than I thought I did?

I don't have the answer, but I get so sore so easy when I do chest. Not just in my chest but my shoulders. I've worked with personal trainers and no matter what I do, I get sore for like 2, sometimes 3 days and it is not just typical sore, sometimes I can't lift my arms over my head when I wake up for an hour or so.

does it hurt on the bicep side of your elbows??? Thats where my soreness is now. I didnt work out for the last month of summer and i started back up this wednesday and thats where im sore. Ur muscles just arent used to lifting that much, but it probably isn't a tear or anything. If u continue to lift the same amount of weights and reps you will get used to it and wont be sore the next day. If the soreness continues for like a week, then u should worry.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
Probably a strain or just your muscles were trying to adjust to the hard workout.

It sounds like you just really upd your weight or your reps and that is why you are feeling more soreness than usual. Of course Its hard for me to say that for sure cause I think its something that depends on the person. Some people recover better than others and obviously if you haven't lifted in a bit it would probably be the reason your a little extra sore but if you've been lifting consistently and just slowly upping things I wouldn't expect any unordinary soreness.

I still hurt like hell after a workout and I've been lifting a long time. The funny thing about me is, that it seems to be worse 48 hours later than it is the day after the workout. That's why I work out every other day and try to seperate the muscle groups so that none of them are being overworked.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
I still hurt like hell after a workout and I've been lifting a long time. The funny thing about me is, that it seems to be worse 48 hours later than it is the day after the workout. That's why I work out every other day and try to seperate the muscle groups so that none of them are being overworked.

When I was running and racing the 48 hour mark was the most difficult as well.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Also what I do when I begin working out when I havent for a while is start extremely light. Like lets say you normally culred with 45 lbs dumbbells for the first time youre starting again only use 20s or 25s and ween in the more weight. It woks pretty well.

Good tip. Most people feel pretty good affter a long lay off and they go back into the gym like they're 10 feet tall and bulletproof. That's a good way to risk injury.