White Sox vs. Royals Game 2........

letsgoarow

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
The right answer is Tom Kelly. He would allow our 3-4-5 to rake and give our bottom of the order a pirana-like attack. He wouldn't have Mack in center, wouldn't put up with a struggling Pods, would make better decisions with the pitching staff, and have the Sox playing sound fundamental baseball.

TK wouldn't publicly rip into a rookie pitcher for not doing Vazquez's dirty work, wouldn't have put Marte on the playoff roster over McCarthy, and had he managed this team, would have had us leading the Central by now.

EDIT: And TK is above playing favorites unlike Ozzie, and would put the team's success above personal relationships.

Unless you followed the Minnesota Twins day-to-day for the last 20 years, you can't possibly know any of this.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
I was describing Tom Kelly, a man whose baseball managing abilities are far superior to Ozzie's.

And for those who say Ozzie is a manager whose best assest is motivating his players, he's inferior to TK in that aspect too. TK gets his players to do the little things to win games because they know they will be replaced if they don't. There's no greater motivation than staying in the majors.

I watched part of that special they have been having about Ozzie on Comcast. It was interesting to me that he never has disciplined his sons. His wife does that. It really makes you wonder if he has the ability to get into his friends faces when its called for.

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
I was describing Tom Kelly, a man whose baseball managing abilities are far superior to Ozzie's.

And for those who say Ozzie is a manager whose best assest is motivating his players, he's inferior to TK in that aspect too. TK gets his players to do the little things to win games because they know they will be replaced if they don't. There's no greater motivation than staying in the majors.

You really like Tom Kelly.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
Unless you followed the Minnesota Twins day-to-day for the last 20 years, you can't possibly know any of this.

I've followed their organization and TK closely since 2001. They are a well-run organization that practices everything I listed.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
You really like Tom Kelly.

You do too, judging from your lack of responses challenging my claim that TK is the better manager than your boy Ozzie Guillen.

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
I've followed their organization and TK closely since 2001. They are a well-run organization that practices everything I listed.

So Kelly was managing that team for what, one year? You can follow an organization closely but it does not compare to following the team every day, like I'm sure you do with the Sox. My point is that most of the problems we have with Ozzie (stuff about favorites, Mackowiak in CF, sticking with Pods) are things that are evident only from watching the Sox on a daily basis. I'm sure if you ask Twins fans, they'll have a list of peeves with Kelly as well.

It's also common knowledge that 2002-present Twins players didn't like Kelly all that much and began winning only after Gardenhire took over.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
So Kelly was managing that team for what, one year? You can follow an organization closely but it does not compare to following the team every day, like I'm sure you do with the Sox. My point is that most of the problems we have with Ozzie (stuff about favorites, Mackowiak in CF, sticking with Pods) are things that are evident only from watching the Sox on a daily basis. I'm sure if you ask Twins fans, they'll have a list of peeves with Kelly as well.

It's also common knowledge that 2002-present Twins players didn't like Kelly all that much and began winning only after Gardenhire took over.

I remember hearing Twins fans say that Kelly quit on that club in his last season there.

Don't know how true it is, but if fans are saying it, it's gotta be true....

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
I see absolutely no focus or intensity by this team right now. KW deserves more criticism than he's received in regards to not upgrading this offense at the deadline.

No kidding. He should have upgraded this team in some capacity. I was blasted when bringing this up, though.

Kelly had a lot to do with the Twins success after he left. They didn't like the fact that he made them take infield and run drills after games they lost and lost because of stupid plays. He taught them how to play the game the right way.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
Kelly had a lot to do with the Twins success after he left. They didn't like the fact that he made them take infield and run drills after games they lost and lost because of stupid plays. He taught them how to play the game the right way.

No offense to anyone, but can we actually discuss the game and stop with the Ozzie pro/con right now. If we don't improve, there's 28 more games until we can talk about this 24/7.

Sure, I'd have more insight into TK the manager if I followed the Twins as closely as I do the Sox, but even from what I've seen from TK, Gardenhire and that organization is a much more sound, fundamental, better philosophy of baseball than I've seen from the Sox over the same time period. IIRC, TK handpicked Gardenhire to be his successor because they shared the same philosophies of how to manage a club. There's similarities between TK and Gardenhire that make so much more sense than the brand of baseball Ozzie Guillen practices.

All I need to see is the play from different personnel year after year, and the TK and Gardenhire-managed Twins teams are always playing smarter baseball than the Sox. If you incorporate the Sox's 3-4-5 power with the Twins brand of baseball, the Sox would be a much better team, and probably leading the AL Central.