GAME THREAD: White @ Red

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Could have easily stuck with Thornton

Had Ozzie let Thornton pitch the ninth and allowed to tie the game, just as it happened, everybody would be wanting Ozzie's head on a platter. The guy just can't catch a break. This team is what it is and will struggle to the end. Will it be enough, time will tell.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
Had Ozzie let Thornton pitch the ninth and allowed to tie the game, just as it happened, everybody would be wanting Ozzie's head on a platter. The guy just can't catch a break. This team is what it is and will struggle to the end. Will it be enough, time will tell.

I'm not saying he should have let Thornton in from a pure baseball standpoint, but if Jenks was truly hurting last night it was stupid to bring him in.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)

If exactly that had happened...eveyrone would have been saying "Goddamnit, we can't catch a break...even now, right at the key part of the season, our closer is hurt."

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)

If there is a player that is too injured to perform on the field, then it's Ozzie's job to not put that player on the field. Especially with someone like Jenks, who has such violent torque on his pitches, a hip problem is something that could completely alter his delivery and cause arm/elbow problems. In no way am I blaming Ozzie for bringing him in though. It is the responsibility of Jenks or the bullpen coach to alert Ozzie that he's not feeling good.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
A 25 y/o with hip problems. That's promising.

and a screw in his elbow. I'll be stunned if Jenks is pitching in the majors when he's in the 32-33 year old range. That's sad to say, as he's one of my favorite pitchers to watch in baseball over the last 10 years.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Just hit the f***ing ball, throw the ball well, and catch the ball. And play like the season is on the line. Run out ground outs, and break up double plays.

I could care less about the Boston offense, with a medicore 6+ era pitcher on the mound who was gifted with the southpaw hand, its more of if we hear this tonight from the Hawkeroo.

Hawk "Well Young Mr Gabbard is pitching his tail off tonight. I dont care what his ERA says, this kid has some talent. I was talking to some scouts before the game, and they didnt clue me into how sharp this kid is. "

DJ "Well when facing a lefty like this, you want to hit the ball up the middle or the other way. Which is harder than it looks, as they want to tease you with breaking stuff away to entice you to hit it on the ground and get the out. Gabbard has induced 3 double plays this evening, and has been lucky to get out of a few jams. But when you have a good defense behind you, you can risk lettting a good hitting team put it on the ground. Paulie needs to come through here, as the whitesox offense is in a bit of a funk right now. Minnesota won today on a 35-0 score as Santana strikes out a career high 18 Devil Rays at home."

Hawk "Well the Sox are threatening here, oh for the long one here. Konerko has to cinch it up, and hunker down here. Paulie fouls off the 1-2 pitch. Wow he just missed a cookie right there. Bow your neck Paulie, and here is the pitch, Dagdabit, and the kid will get out of walking the bases loaded as it goes 6-4-3 and you can rack em up. The whitesox have blown a golden opportunity here to score in here in the 6th inning. And its 2-0 badguys. "

hahaha nice SSI

We had escaped the injury bug all season. In the last few weeks now, we've had Thome, Dye, and now Jenks get injured. Hopefully the Dye injury is only a few days. If MacDougal has to become the closer, we desperately need another reliever not named Thornton to step up and show a pair.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
We had escaped the injury bug all season. In the last few weeks now, we've had Thome, Dye, and now Jenks get injured. Hopefully the Dye injury is only a few days. If MacDougal has to become the closer, we desperately need another reliever not named Thornton to step up and show a pair.

Cliff's in post-op. I'll give him a call.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
I'm really not sure why we put him on the mound last night if he was in as bad of shape as Cooper made it out to sound.

That is indeed the million dollar question. Noting the box score he gave up 2 walks and a hit and had no k's. The game we won vrs the Royals he struck out the side. If he's hurt you use one of the guys,in this case McDougal as you mention, that has closer experience. Maybe they just didn't know he was hurt?

Looking at the radar, there's a ton of green in the Boston area, and I'm not referring to Mo Vaughn's wallet at the strip clubs.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
That is indeed the million dollar question. Noting the box score he gave up 2 walks and a hit and had no k's. The game we won vrs the Royals he struck out the side. If he's hurt you use one of the guys,in this case McDougal as you mention, that has closer experience. Maybe they just didn't know he was hurt?

Cooper said he wasn't close to 100 pct in the bullpen.