Ozzie's thoughts on Brian Anderson

fathom

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Oh please. The guy's got a .663 OPS on the season. That's f***ing terrible. There's no cherry picking there.

If we are going to talk about not having cherry picking allowed, why not talk about the entire season. And if the entire season is the case, BA STINKS! There is no point in twitching this fact around at least this year. Perhaps, he will be better next year, but as far as this year is concerned, BA is a great disappointment.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
I will give you ARod, but I am not so sure about Pujols. Plus I don't think comparing BA to two the best offensive players in baseball is a good thing. From the looks of it BA has had more bad weeks in one year than Arod and Pujols have had in their combined careers.

Yeah the .672 OPS ARod put up in '95 was pretty f***ing awesome. ROOKIES STRUGGLE FOR THE FIRST FEW MONTHS OF THEIR PRO CAREERS HOLY s***!

And take a look at what pujols did last week, he had a s*** couple of games most players tend to do this, especially when they're not used consistantly.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Anderson = Garland for 2006

They both had 2 horrendous months which fried thier stats for the season yet have picked it up substantially over the past 3 months improving thier season stats but not to the point where it's going to look anywhere near excellent when the season ends. Garland turned his season around on June 13, Anderson; June 11th. Perhaps if people ditched the lame ass "hall of fame" and "man crush" s*** and actually paid attention to the play on the field there wouldn't be the same f***ing arguments in 5 threads right now.

Wow, just wow. Jon Garland going on a 12-1 tear with a sub 3 ERA is not even remotely similar to what Anderson's been doing. Garland's been one of top 5 pitchers in all of baseball during that span. Anderson wasn't even a top 5 player on his own team.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
I will give you ARod, but I am not so sure about Pujols. Plus I don't think comparing BA to two the best offensive players in baseball is a good thing. From the looks of it BA has had more bad weeks in one year than Arod and Pujols have had in their combined careers.

Who's had more bad weeks in the last 3 months, ARod or BA?

(relatively speaking here...a .700 OPS is bad for Rodriguez whereas a .700 OPS for Anderson is mediocre).

I haven't had time to do the research, but I'd bet it is close. ARod has obviously been better, but we are not expecting .300 45 140 25 1.000 out of BA.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Anderson = Garland for 2006

They both had 2 horrendous months which fried thier stats for the season yet have picked it up substantially over the past 3 months improving thier season stats but not to the point where it's going to look anywhere near excellent when the season ends. Garland turned his season around on June 13, Anderson; June 11th. Perhaps if people ditched the lame ass "hall of fame" and "man crush" s*** and actually paid attention to the play on the field there wouldn't be the same f***ing arguments in 5 threads right now.

Give me a f****** break! It's just so absurd of you to even stating Anderson is equivalent to Garland in terms of helping the team to win games or even to stop the losing streak! Tell me how many games has BA won for us. How many times has he stopped our losing streak? I've seen so many times that he could not get the runners in. I even remembered one game when a man on third with one out, and he could not even lift a flyball so that the runner can score. You know what he did? Nothing, whiff! Strike out!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah the .672 OPS ARod put up in '95 was pretty f***ing awesome. ROOKIES STRUGGLE FOR THE FIRST FEW MONTHS OF THEIR PRO CAREERS HOLY s***!

And take a look at what pujols did last week, he had a s*** couple of games most players tend to do this, especially when they're not used consistantly.

ARod was NINE-FREAKING-TEEN YEARS OLD! Plus he only had 48 games. Brian Anderson is 23 years old and has at least double the at bats and games played than ARod did in 1995. Take a loook at all of ARod's full seasons and get back to me.

OH BOY! 2 games in a week. WOOHOO!

I really can't believe this is an argument or that you are really even comparing these players.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who's had more bad weeks in the last 3 months, ARod or BA?

(relatively speaking here...a .700 OPS is bad for Rodriguez whereas a .700 OPS for Anderson is mediocre).

I haven't had time to do the research, but I'd bet it is close. ARod has obviously been better, but we are not expecting .300 45 140 25 1.000 out of BA.

You helped prove my point. Thank you. These players shouldn't be compared.

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
Give me a f****** break! It's just so absurd of you to even stating Anderson is equivalent to Garland in terms of helping the team to win games or even to stop the losing streak! Tell me how many games has BA won for us. How many times has he stopped our losing streak? I've seen so many times that he could not get the runners in. I even remembered one game when a man on third with one out, and he could not even lift a flyball so that the runner can score. You know what he did? Nothing, whiff! Strike out!

Come on, you really think Anderson's good 2nd half has made this team slump? When he wasnt hitting a lick we were actually in 1st place. His glove has saved us more times that his bat has hurt us. Uribe is more of a liability IMO.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)

If I can live again, again and again, I would take Arod over Brian Anderson again, again, and again until eternity...

Your statement is so absurd!

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
I've seen so many times that he could not get the runners in. I even remembered one game when a man on third with one out, and he could not even lift a flyball so that the runner can score. You know what he did? Nothing, whiff! Strike out!

Ok, I've seen basically every hitter in the Sox lineup do that multiple times over the past 2 weeks.

And I never said they were equivalent in their effect on the team's success during their hot streaks, I'm saying Garland was terrible for 2 months and Anderson was terrible for 2 months they've now been pretty damn good for the past 3 months, considering the expectations placed on them. An .800 OPS from Anderson over a 3 month timespan is pretty great considering what's expected of him, Aaron Rowand didn't get anywhere near that last year.

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
If I can live again, again and again, I would take Arod over Brian Anderson again, again, and again until eternity...

Your statement is so absurd!

When did I say I'd take Anderson over Rodriguez? When did I even imply that? Damn, you're dense.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
ARod was NINE-FREAKING-TEEN YEARS OLD! Plus he only had 48 games. Brian Anderson is 23 years old and has at least double the at bats and games played than ARod did in 1995. Take a loook at all of ARod's full seasons and get back to me.

OH BOY! 2 games in a week. WOOHOO!

I really can't believe this is an argument or that you are really even comparing these players.

You helped prove my point. Thank you. These players shouldn't be compared.

You said Arod and Pujols have struggled less in their careers combined than Anderson has this year, I showed you basically that Rodriguez had a very similar year in his first full season, why must you people get all defensive? It's about proving a point incorrect, not comparing the 2 players for thier talents or abilities.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
Come on, you really think Anderson's good 2nd half has made this team slump? When he wasnt hitting a lick we were actually in 1st place. His glove has saved us more times that his bat has hurt us. Uribe is more of a liability IMO.

Rock, I have nothing against Anderson, but to see people stating his value equivalent to Garland is just so absurd. Garland has been one of the best pitchers after the Allstar break.

I am done with this thread. Go ahead and drink the Anderson Kool-Aid!

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
Rock, I have nothing against Anderson, but to see people stating his value equivalent to Garland is just so absurd. Garland has been one of the best pitchers after the Allstar break.

Dear god no one ever said that? Do you have a reading disability I should know about?

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)

How am I drinking the kool aid? A-row wouldnt have produced much better than BA this year. He basically contributes to about .1 percent of what is wrong with this team. If anything, his fielding has overcome alot of our shortcomings in the past several weeks. Garland is obviously more valuable, but that is comparing apples and oranges IMO.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome.

Doesn't change the fact that if you use a 1 week sample time, you can skew statistics anyway you want to.

Yes, and ARod's or Pujol's worst week of their career will be better than any week in BA's career thus far. You can't compare certain players. YOu can't compare apples to oranges. Well, you obviosly can, but it doesn't work or prove to be a good argument.

What the f*** is this thread all about. I read the article and I can't see what everyone is so upset about. What did he say wrong? Ozzie wants BA to get better. He wants him to go to winter ball to work on it. What the f*** is the big deal? Will someone please point this out to me? An 11 page thread full of BS and hatred towards Ozzie for what?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
Yes, and ARod's or Pujol's worst week of their career will be better than any week in BA's career thus far.

LOL

Didn't Kalapse just point out ARod's second stint in the big leagues, where he put up a .647 OPS? How about ARod's first callup, when he put up an OPS of .445?

I'm pretty sure I could probably find a case.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How am I drinking the kool aid? A-row wouldnt have produced much better than BA this year. He basically contributes to about .1 percent of what is wrong with this team. If anything, his fielding has overcome alot of our shortcomings in the past several weeks. Garland is obviously more valuable, but that is comparing apples and oranges IMO.

I agree. AROW is not better than BA. I wil take BA over AROW every single time. However, I will take AROW over Scott Pods, but I don't think Pods lands us Thome, I am not sure about that though.

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
If we are going to talk about not having cherry picking allowed, why not talk about the entire season. And if the entire season is the case, BA STINKS! There is no point in twitching this fact around at least this year. Perhaps, he will be better next year, but as far as this year is concerned, BA is a great disappointment.

You know there's a friggin difference between one week, two months and an entire season.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL

Didn't Kalapse just point out ARod's second stint in the big leagues, where he put up a .647 OPS? How about ARod's first callup, when he put up an OPS of .445?

I'm pretty sure I could probably find a case.

LOL

That is a one week portion? ok, now find me a one week portion of ARod's career where it was worse than any one week portion of BAs career. Thank you. I could have swore I wrote 1 week. Right? Let's just be consistent here.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
LOL

That is a one week portion? ok, now find me a one week portion of ARod's career where it was worse than any one week portion of BAs career. Thank you. I could have swore I wrote 1 week. Right? Let's just be consistent here.

Uhhh...

So instead of doing something logical like posting a 2 month span of OPS, I have to find just one week. Damn, I guess my thinking is just stupid

I don't have the time, nor the care, to find a 1 week time period. I found a 2 month time period, and I think that should be plenty suitable, but if not, you win.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
LOL

Not but a week ago Alex Rodriguez went 2-27 w/ 14 K, that's pretty atrocious if you ask me. And to add to this Anderson over that same stretch went 7-19 (.368 BA) with only 2 Ks.