Ozzie's thoughts on Brian Anderson

fathom

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)
It goes waaaaay beyond what you see on film and games and what research we do time machine boy.

Yeah, you have to be a leader of men. I thought that I already conceded that?

Don't worry, it will register. You'll see the difference by the time this thread gets to page 30. :D

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are stupid baseball players, you know. We see them every day. :D

But I have already conceded that Ozzie is a natural born leader. He just doesn't have the baseball smarts to supplement his leadership qualities. That is it, point blank.

He doesn't have the baseball smarts? I have seen and heard differently from some of the "smartest" baseball managers. Tony LaRussa, Bobby Cox, and Jack McKeon have all stated he has a great baseball mind. I think I will take their word over yours. Sorry.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, you have to be a leader of men. I thought that I already conceded that?

Don't worry, it will register. You'll see the difference by the time this thread gets to page 30. :D

It takes more than that too. Once you hop back in your time machine you will be able to read the whole post and read exactly what I stated. So you have more baseball smarts than Ozzie Guillen?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 07:32 PM)
He doesn't have the baseball smarts? I have seen and heard differently from some of the "smartest" baseball managers. Tony LaRussa, Bobby Cox, and Jack McKeon have all stated he has a great baseball mind. I think I will take their word over yours. Sorry.

What about what you see, southsideirish?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Ozzie wanted a change made to the roster, KW would have found someone for him. On the bright side, we have less than a month with this current personnel. I know everyone thinks I get on Ozzie for every little thing. Personally, I don't believe I do. If I see a game last night where he puts the team in position to win, then that falls on the team and their execution. I actually thought he managed a great game last night, and he made the proper subs in the 8th inning and even tried a hit-and-run.

I don't believe there was anyone better. That was the problem.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
I don't believe there was anyone better. That was the problem.

No one better than a CF who can't judge a fly ball to save his life? Darren Lewis just rolled over in his rocking chair hearing that. :P

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, but Kalapse does.

ha ha, green please, green.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No one better than a CF who can't judge a fly ball to save his life? Darren Lewis just rolled over in his rocking chair hearing that. :P

But, we have a good/great defensive CF who can't hit. We have a decent hitting player trying to play CF. I don't believe there was a player available that could do both. That was the problem. Giving prospects or players up to place yourself in the same exact situation just didn't make sense.

Brian Anderson on the bases this season - caught stealing 5 of 9 attempts - he needs to learn to run the bases better and get better jumps off pitchers so that he is in a position to score. He has hit much better since June raising his average all the way to .227 and bringing his OBA up to .299. In September he is 1 for 12 with 5 K's.

The things that Ozzie said are not incorrect, while its great to have an excellent defensive centerfielder, we need more from him. He needs to be able to move across the bases better. To me thats what Ozzie is talking about when he refers to speed, not that he has to run a 4.3 or anything, but that he has to be better on the bases. I think that some work in the offseason would really help him, and I dont know why he would think that he is too g ood for winterball, that is just frustrating to here from a kid that you want to see develop into a star player.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
ha ha, green please, green.

But, we have a good/great defensive CF who can't hit. We have a decent hitting player trying to play CF. I don't believe there was a player available that could do both. That was the problem. Giving prospects or players up to place yourself in the same exact situation just didn't make sense.

He cant hit, or what you really mean is the first 2 months he couldnt hit right. Review the splits and then tell me he cant hit. Now that he is hitting decently, you still put the butcher in CF. Good move.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He cant hit, or what you really mean is the first 2 months he couldnt hit right. Review the splits and then tell me he cant hit. Now that he is hitting decently, you still put the butcher in CF. Good move.

huh, where did I say what you are accusing me of saying? I said that we already have what was avaible on the market, which is why KW didn't go out and do anything. JEEZE! Stay with us here.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
If Ozzie wanted a change made to the roster, KW would have found someone for him. On the bright side, we have less than a month with this current personnel. I know everyone thinks I get on Ozzie for every little thing. Personally, I don't believe I do. If I see a game last night where he puts the team in position to win, then that falls on the team and their execution. I actually thought he managed a great game last night, and he made the proper subs in the 8th inning and even tried a hit-and-run.

The problem is, your idea of "putting the team in the best position to win" is usually flawed.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
There are stupid baseball players, you know. We see them every day. :D

But I have already conceded that Ozzie is a natural born leader. He just doesn't have the baseball smarts to supplement his leadership qualities. That is it, point blank.

Yes, but he has been called a great baseball mind who understands the intricate pieces of the game. Even Tony "genius" laRussa said that Ozzie understanded the game better than most. It has been mentioned time and time again that during his playing days he was almost a coach on the field, and was given nothing but the highest praise from the Marlins and Expos organizations. I would say they know a little bit more about the situation than you do.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 07:45 PM)
The problem is, your idea of "putting the team in the best position to win" is usually flawed.

Yep, how dare I want our best defense on the field all at once or our best hitter off the bench at the plate in a situation where we can do some damage. I guess I'll just sit back and not "panic". Sure, there's times when things I suggest are a little too proactive (ie: ph for AJP in the top of the 9th on Monday). However, I think my suggestions are pretty simple for the most part.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
I put this in the catch anything thread, but...

Tonight Sweeney is in CF batting leadoff

Pods is in LF batting 8th

Per the Score

Cool, it's worth the shot. I like this move, as maybe it will provide a spark and allow Pods to relax.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The one quote Ozzie has that makes no sense is when he says Anderson hasn't cost the Sox any games this season. If he hasn't cost the Sox any games why doesn't the Ozzeroo get on someone's ass who has?

It doesn't look like he is getting on BAs ass. He sees how good BA can be and how much room he has for improvement. He is pushing him to get better. He wants him to go to winter ball to work on things and get better. I think this is a good thing. If he didn't think BA was a good player with the chance of being really good would he be saying these things? I highly doubt it. I would like this if I was BA.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
huh, where did I say what you are accusing me of saying? I said that we already have what was avaible on the market, which is why KW didn't go out and do anything. JEEZE! Stay with us here.

Brady Clark, was available, can play CF, can leadoff, and is right handed. He would of been a good platoon guy to play in CF and also play in LF. He can leadoff, has a good OBP and hits for a decent average.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
Brady Clark, was available, can play CF, can leadoff, and is right handed. He would of been a good platoon guy to play in CF and also play in LF. He can leadoff, has a good OBP and hits for a decent average.

Are we actually 100% certain he was available? Do we also know what sort of asking price he had?

Honestly, you only can pay so much for a guy you'd use as a backup/platoon player. And I'm not totally sure if the Brewers even knew whether they were buying or selling at the deadline.

Clark is one of the very few options that would have made sense, if Ozzie was so incredibly insistent on having platoons thorughout his outfield.

I still think the easiest option would have just been to let Brian Anderson play CF and let Mack/Ozuna platoon in LF.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was Brady Clark traded? How do you know he was available? Because certain people said so. It is all speculation. You don't know for a fact that he was available. By the way, where did I say what you accused me of saying in your last post?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are we actually 100% certain he was available? Do we also know what sort of asking price he had?

Honestly, you only can pay so much for a guy you'd use as a backup/platoon player. And I'm not totally sure if the Brewers even knew whether they were buying or selling at the deadline.

Clark is one of the very few options that would have made sense, if Ozzie was so incredibly insistent on having platoons thorughout his outfield.

I still think the easiest option would have just been to let Brian Anderson play CF and let Mack/Ozuna platoon in LF.

I agree. Not a fan of Pods. I think I would have even tried Sweeney in LF. We would have at least had a very good defensive OF if nothing else. 2 rookies on a team going for a championship is a lot to ask, but it seems better than Pods out there every day.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)
I'd like to see him "pick" on Pods or Garcia the same way. Ozzie is full of s***. He clearly plays favorites. An idiot can see how much Brian has evolved during the year. An idiot can also see what a gifted CF he already is. If Brian is not our starting CF next year -- I'm done with White Sox baseball until Ozzie is fired.

Clearly, an idiot doesn't see those things. Example: Ozzie Guillen.