Ozzie's thoughts on Brian Anderson

fathom

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)
If you are a 5-tool player, you have no place on this White Sox team.

Any dreams of the Sox acquiring Crawford just went out the window, because he would be dead in a week with Ozzie.

How many players want to play for a guy who openly s***s on you in the media. Well unless you are one of his boys.

Pods playing like crap = trying to hard

Freddy throwing 86 = Freddy being Freddy

Uribe hitting 235 = we need defense

Cintron and Mack getting 300 ABs a utlity guys. I make the f***ing lineup.

BA = You better choose speed kid, or I will bury you. You are only hitting .230.

Bmac = You are not Cy Young, I am working on Burying you.

I swear if KW gets rid of either of these two kids because of crap mouth .....

When do soxfest tickets go on sale. I want to make sure I get my tickets, cant miss the Q&A session.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:44 AM)
I wonder how many of you anti-Brian posters are this way just because he's not Aaron f***ing Rowand... I honestly think that's half the issue some people have with him. Cause he's not Aaron.

I so miss the days of Aaron Rowand trying to kill himself for 1 out.

I love the guy, love his heart, love his intensity, love his passion for the game...but he is one dumbass motherfooker.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
The point may be many of you love BA because the other option is s***ty Mack.

Could it be KW erred big time in giving Oz no other option like ROWAND???

KW definitely erred in only having 1 man who can play CF on the roster, that one really can't be argued.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
The point may be many of you love BA because the other option is s***ty Mack.

Could it be KW erred big time in giving Oz no other option like ROWAND???

I'll go out on a limb then and say Anderson's an all-star within the next 3 years.

I hope you are right. Anderson could be like Crede and Garland. It just takes time.

But for a team trying to win it all, he has not been a great option this year.

I realize his defense is great. Personally I like the guy's hustle and great defense and realize

he's hitting way better the last few months.

But he did not deserve to play everyday this year.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
I hope you are right. Anderson could be like Crede and Garland. It just takes time.

But for a team trying to win it all, he has not been a great option this year.

I realize his defense is great. Personally I like the guy's hustle and great defense and realize

he's hitting way better the last few months.

But he did not deserve to play everyday this year.

So then you are on board that Pods hasnt deserved to start for a while then also.

I guess you are all for ditching Uribe and his .236 average also.

I want(ed) Pods to start because of potentially what he brings to the team when he gets his

head out of his ass.

You've got to admit. The Pods of last year is what our lineup desperately has needed

and missed. The fact he is the same guy made me believe he'd turn it around so YES

I've wanted him in the lineup over Mack or Ozuna or Gload.

Uribe I think has hurt our lineup a lot this year, but my opinion on him changed when somebody

on here reminded me he is a great great defender.

I think I am more like Oz in being more apt to not want an unproven guy to play over a proven

guy.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)
I want(ed) Pods to start because of potentially what he brings to the team when he gets his

head out of his ass.

You've got to admit. The Pods of last year is what our lineup desperately has needed

and missed. The fact he is the same guy made me believe he'd turn it around so YES

I've wanted him in the lineup over Mack or Ozuna or Gload.

Uribe I think has hurt our lineup a lot this year, but my opinion on him changes when somebody

on here reminded me he is a great great defender.

I think I am more like Oz in being more apt to not want an unproven guy to play over a proven

guy.

I guess that completely depends upon what your definition of proven is. Second half splits of .282/.333/.427/.761 is proven enough for me to be trotting him out there everyday in the homestretch of the year.

Seriously, Brian Anderson is one of the only players who has done his freakin job the 2nd half of the season and he's the one getting called out, beautiful. I mean no rookie should ever struggle their first two full months of major league ball, so because of that lets look at his batting average on a whole. Ozzie Guillen might want pitching and defense but being one of the better defensive centerfielders in baseball means absolutely nothing if you struggle for the first two months of your major league career.

Heads must be right, Brian Anderson is a communist, that's the only explanation I got.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:16 AM)
Seriously, Brian Anderson is one of the only players who has done his freakin job the 2nd half of the season and he's the one getting called out, beautiful. I mean no rookie should ever struggle their first two full months of major league ball, so because of that lets look at his batting average on a whole. Ozzie Guillen might want pitching and defense but being one of the better defensive centerfielders in baseball means absolutely nothing if you struggle for the first two months of your major league career.

Heads must be right, Brian Anderson is a communist, that's the only explanation I got.

HOLY SHARTBALLS I FIGURED OUT WHY OZZIE DOESNT LIKE BRIAN

He can't pitch worth a damn

IT ALL MAKES SENSE

Sox officials initially were disappointed Anderson was lukewarm to the idea of playing winter ball, but Anderson said three weeks ago he would play for LaGuaira of the Venezuelan League with outfielder Ryan Sweeney, third baseman Josh Fields and pitchers Charlie Haeger and Boone Logan.

So why bring it up now? :huh:

He threw Tracey under the bus, and I initially dismissed it as Ozzie being Ozzie. Then, he reamed Garland out during a game where he was absolutely dealing for no other good reason than for not hitting someone in retaliation. Now he throws BA under the bus, when the guy has done nothing but improve on his game over the 2nd half of this year while still playing at a high level in centerfield.

The preference for veterans, and overplaying his bench. Leaving younger players on the bench and not giving them a full opportunity. Leaving starters in way too long and bringing in certain members of the pen at questionable times.

The more of Ozzie I see, the more I'm seeing him morph into Dusty Baker overnight.

What a difference a year makes. :crying

Let me try one more thing on you before I give up my pro-Ozzie rants on this

board:

You Ozzie haters (even though he led us to our only World Series since tickets to

white Sox games were under $1 dollar. ...

Since gas cost about .25 a gallon ...

Being that Ozzie is very very young for a manager, and being that he has a

World Series title to his credit ... are you willing to give him some time on the job

to mature.

I mean think how f***ing good this guy may be from 50 to 60???

Or do you hate him so much you must have him fired now?

I mean I love Oz but even I admit he makes mistakes. But again with his resume

43 years old or whatever he is and a World Series title already in the bag, would

you let him do any learning on the job or must you have him fired to enjoy the

team again??

I think about 90% of you way over-reacted to this article... possibly because people are already pissed off with us losing and falling behind the Twins in the wildcard. I think one of the main things that angered Ozzie was Anderson originally not wanting to play winterball. Plus we all know how much KW loves Brian Anderson and I think whether Ozzie likes it or not Brian will be our starting CF next season anyways. Plus I dont see anywhere where he says he wants Anderson to be "faster" just wants him to utilize his speed more on the basepaths. Im not a huge Ozzie fan but most of you need to relax and not over-react over an article.

Also not related to thread but should be fun to follow with Anderson, Sweeney, Fields, Logan and Haeger all together.

This isn't learning on the job. This is just not knowing the game of baseball.

The worst thing that happened to Ozzie Guillen is the fact that we won the world series last year. Now he thinks he's God, and he can point at his ring and tell everyone else to go f*** off because "he knows what he's doing."

Bottom line is that your fans shouldn't be smarter than you are on a consistent basis. Everyone here FIRST guesses him, and the vast majority of the time, they are correct.

In my book, the job of a manager is to put his players in the best position to succeed, and by doing so, "win" more games for the team than he loses. He's lost far more...OR, not given us a fair shot at winning...than he's won for us.

Last year he handed the ball off to the starters in the playoffs and they carried the torch. Jerry Manuel could have done that job. He didn't have to manage anything in the playoffs, and his moves during the season were very suspect.

Ozzie isn't responsible for bringing a title to the city of chicago. The White Sox organization is. Until people stop correlating ozzie and a WS title at a high rate, he'll always get a free pass in this town from the media and the "new" group of fans we now have.

Night after night we watch him fill out questionable lineup cards and make bizarre in-game moves. Your manager shouldn't frustrate the hell out of you to this degree. But he trots out his bulls*** about how he's the smartest guy in the world because he came here when he was whatever age and was able to survive.

The line of "he brought us a world championship" is false. 20 years from now when i look back on the 2005 team, i won't remember ozzie being the braintrust behind a title team. I'll remember the amazing pitching and the job that Kenny did way before i recall Ozzie's actions.

BTW, why are you talking about what type of manager he will be when he's 60? The time to win is now. I want a manager who can win us ballgames now, not hope he's good in the future. Besides, he's shown me enough this season to make me think he'll never be a good manager.

Many of you would know that I'm not as much of an Ozzie "Hater" as the vast majority here, I'll back him most times when it comes to the running of this ballclub, because of the record we have over the past season and a half.

That said I will flame him for the way he has handled Brian Anderson and our young players on the major league levels.

Maybe there was a reason BA didn't want to go winter ball, because he's tired after his 1st full major league season. But just because he didn't want to go, doesn't mean his "stock" within the organization and Ozzie should just drop, but hey it happened to Jerry Owens I guess when he left winter ball midway thru the last off - season.

Ozzie just hasn't done a good job putting Brian in the right situations to succeed, in terms of giving him AB's against lefties when he was struggling, DESPITE the fact he only had a .500 OPS against them (something like that), and a much higher OPS against righties, but Ozzie gave the AB's to Rob Machowiak, which majorly took away from our defense.

So Ozzie when you say he hasn't gotten enough AB's, that's not Brian's fault, that's yours.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
Anybody: "Ozzie, what do you think of Kevin Youkilis and his .400 OBP as a leadoff man"

Ozzie: "THAT BISH ISN'T FAST ENOUGH!! AND ONLY 13 HOME RUNS, HAVE MORE POWER!!"

LMAO!! :lolhitting

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Has there ever been a more confusing, infuriating and just miserable season than this one? Seriously, there's so many god damn questions that will never be answered and just so much s*** that has cost this team games that could have been avoided. UGH!

C'mon, c'mon, c'mon... we just need a 7 or 8 game winning streak and we'll be back on track...

;)

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
I never said that he was playing good in fact he really struggled, but there is a way of handling this go to the player and tell him personally. You have to admit that Ozzie didn't need to air this out to media this could have been handled privately

I'm sure someone will bring up this point at Soxfest...

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
He is the best manager in baseball bar none and the best in Chicago history.

He brought us a title.

Nu uh... Kenny brought us the title..

<_>

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ozzie is dumber than I ever thought possible.

I read this article. What did he say that was wrong? He didn't say anything bad about BA. His expectations are very high for BA and he wants him to get better. He wants him to get faster. He wants him to play winter ball to work on it. What is wrong with that? He is a young player that should go play winter ball and get better. I don't get it. Are you guys just looking for fault?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many players want to play for a guy who openly s***s on you in the media. Well unless you are one of his boys.

Pods playing like crap = trying to hard

Freddy throwing 86 = Freddy being Freddy

Uribe hitting 235 = we need defense

Cintron and Mack getting 300 ABs a utlity guys. I make the f***ing lineup.

BA = You better choose speed kid, or I will bury you. You are only hitting .230.

Bmac = You are not Cy Young, I am working on Burying you.

I swear if KW gets rid of either of these two kids because of crap mouth .....

When do soxfest tickets go on sale. I want to make sure I get my tickets, cant miss the Q&A session.

Really? I think you guys are looking way too much into this crap.

Amazing how Ozzie had this to say about Sweeney last night, considering that he would have been taken to task if the kid was not in the lineup again tonight....

''He'll be playing [tonight],'' Guillen said. ''I don't know where, but I wish my players would look themselves in the mirror when you see a rookie guy playing the way he played.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox06.html

I have been as pro-Ozzie as many of you throughout most of this year. But of late and especially after reading this BA article, I am getting more and more sick of him. He can't/won't call out his vets that have been downright HORRIBLE this year, yet he feels like he has to ream the young guys in public. I just don't get it. In the rest of the sun-times article he talks about how they have to "win now" and "not let it get away from them". Considering that three losses ago it was not time to panic, why now?

I am just not happy with him as a manager. He DID get a free pass last year because his pitching carried him. He STILL gets a free pass on certain levels because he happened to be at the helm when they won a world series. But this fact remains, he is NOT a good manager nor is he a good evaluator of talent.

Edited by chisox72

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...wasn't it only like a week or two ago that we were chuckling about the meltdowns on the Red Sox message boards?

This is a hilarious thread.

This is why this whole "argument," if you can even call it such, is so ridiculous.

So basically Ozzie Guillen is a bad coach for wanting improvement out of his young centerfielder who, however you want to dice it, has put together a terrible season at the dish?

False. Ozzie Guillen has been a bad manager because he makes horrible in-game decisions, and then even worse decisions off the field.

Scott Podsednik has been beat up this year, but placing blame on anyone but him, considering he was the driving force for one of the worst offenses in baseball last year, is just plain ridiculous.

Freddy Garcia, Javier Vazquez? Mark Buehrle's woes in the second half?

The players who have had to step up haven't, the players who stepped up last year, have not.

I was suspended from this board because I was so ashamed of Ozzie Guillen's managing abilities, or lack thereof. The guy has never been a good manager, hell, he's never been even an average manager. When you're winning, it's tough to argue against him. The same BS went on last year around here. Ozzie Guillen was the best manager in the history of baseball, then suddenly the team struggles in late August and September, and that notion takes a complete 360.

Regardless of how bad of a manager Ozzie Guillen is, he's kept this under achieving ball club in contention all year. Nobody should jump ship when you're only a game and a half out. Many Red Sox fans which was viewed as humor over here did, and then suddenly Julian Tavarez and Kason Gabbard look like Cy Young and the Red Sox are "back in it," according to most.

Step back from the ledge, there's alot of baseball still to be played. Even being a game and a half back a month from now, the White Sox would still have a chance to beat up on the Twins and sneak into the playoffs.

Everything Ozzie said about BA is true. Brian has played this season like it was an instructional league. I can't remember him getting 'inside' a game and playing to situations. Every at bat is the same to him, regardless of inning, outs or runners. He needs more experience and at bats, and his play this year didn't earn them. He needs enough confidence to adapt to what needs to be done instead of concentrating on his own fundamentals, he's got the talent but just needs to mature as a ball player. If Oz doesn't cherry pick his starts you would have seen even more 0 fors and that could wreck a young player. I love his glove but must say that Ozzie has been spot on handling him.